Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

My daughter is flying back from Boston, MA next Saturday (Nov. 29) to Richmond, VA.

Her first leg of the journey is on US Air and she switches to Delta in LGA (where she'll have to shuttle between terminals) and she has an hour and 11 mins. between flights (pending delays, etc.).

Will she have to go through security again and/or recheck in, or what problems can she expect? Any help will be appreciated (note, she's only flying with a carry-on).
Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Definitely will have to re-clear security. That is a very tight connection. Is it all on one ticket? Make sure she is checked in online in advance for the DL segment before she leaves BOS to reduce some potential problems there.

I'm not sure what the options are for getting between the terminals. I'm guessing there is a bus, but it'll likely take a while to make that transfer.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
There is a bus but it's faster to walk. The bus goes like this:

Delta -- USAir -- AA -- Delta -- etc.

Turn left outside of baggage claim and walk to the next terminal (5 minutes at a leisurely pace).
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue the discussiion in the New York City forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Flo's Restaurant

Turn left outside of baggage claim and walk to the next terminal (5 minutes at a leisurely pace).
I agree. Walking will be fastest.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:25 am
Original Poster

That's good info about walking b/t the terminals. Also with regard to getting her Delta e-ticket in Boston. Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Is there any way that she can "cut in line" at the security lines if she were to speak to an airport employee/security person if it looks like she may miss her flight?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PJinNH
Is there any way that she can "cut in line" at the security lines if she were to speak to an airport employee/security person if it looks like she may miss her flight?
It doesn't hurt to ask. But your daughter should have plenty of time. The US shuttle has a very good on time record.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PJinNH
That's good info about walking b/t the terminals. Also with regard to getting her Delta e-ticket in Boston. Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Is there any way that she can "cut in line" at the security lines if she were to speak to an airport employee/security person if it looks like she may miss her flight?
No. If that was the case, few people would bother getting to the airport early. Luckily, the screeners always say no to line-cutters.

Even if the US flight is 30 minutes late, she will make it (barely), and the shuttle schedule probably has lots of padding in it.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... the shuttle schedule probably has lots of padding in it.
I practially live on the shuttle.

Most of the time, except at peak travel times, you can count on the shuttle arriving at the gate at the hour (i.e., 10-15 minutes earlier than scheduled, depending on which one you're on). At the most off peak of travel times, arriving at 15 minutes before the hour (i.e., about 25 minutes early) is fairly common. At peak times, barring bad weather either in Boston or New York, or bad weather elsewhere in the country that is having ripple effects on the entire ATC system, the shuttle generally will arrive between on time and half past the hour (i.e., 15-20 minutes late). And while, as with any flight, a delay of anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours can occur at any time for a variety of reasons, such delays are not all that common on the shuttle.

So, it's my expectation that your daughter's BOS-LGA flight will land no later than on schedule, and probably early, given that the Sat after Thanksgiving is a relatively slow travel day. That said, the shuttle flights do sometimes get cancelled -- perhaps more readily than other flights, because of the frequency of the flights (i.e., US knows that if they cancel a flight, the most passengers will have to wait for the next one is an hour or two). So I would confirm the status of your daughter's flight far enough in advance that if you found you had to catch the next earlier flight, you'd be in a position to get to Logan in time to do so. (I don't mean to scare you. I think it's unlikely that your daugther's flight will be canceled. It's just a good idea to check.)
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Assuming the first segment is ontime - she will have no problem.

Verify she sits in front of plane. Walk from US Air Shuttle to Delta terminal (next door) and walk through security.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

So I'm flying into LGA tomorrow afternoon, coming in on AA. My mother is coming in on US Air a half hour later. So, I told her I'd meet her at the US terminal to share a cab into the city. I figured it would be an easy walk over.

But the forecast for our arrival time is calling for a 100% chance of rain, likely heavy. Ugh. A 5 minute walk in heavy rain, with my rollerboard & backback, just sounds miserable to me.

Does anyone know how often the bus runs? And how long the AA=>DL=>US ride will take?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It is not a five minute walk from USAir's terminal at LGA over to AA. AA is at the other end of the main terminal which is much further away than the walkable DL terminal and in the other direction. I would say that you would need to allow at least 15 minutes to walk over to US from AA and you will need to cross several heavily trafficked roadways.

The best thing for you to do is to take the shuttle bus and do the circle. I'm not sure of the schedule but it runs frequently enough so that If both flights are on time, you should be over there in time to greet your mother after having been protected from the weather and the auto fumes.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Answering myself, for the next person who finds this thread.

There are two bus routes.
Delta -- US Air -- AA -- Delta runs every 10 minutes.
Delta -- US Air -- AA -- Marine Air Terminal -- Delta runs every 15 minutes.

The MAT is far enough out of the way that I wouldn't want to detour there, but if going from DL or US to the central terminal (AA & others), then either bus will get ou there just as quick.

The ride from AA to US took maybe 5-6 minutes, once the bus came.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:55 pm

Concourse D to Marine Air Terminal

Will arrive on American Airlines in Concourse D of Central Terminal. Will depart on American Eagle commuter jet from Marine Air Terminal.

Where does bus stop at Central Terminal? Does it involve long, cold wait outside? Is the interval between buses still 15 minutes?

Does American provide a bus (as they do at LAX) on the sterile airside from D to M concourse?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: NW Gold, YX Executive
Are you sure you're taking an AE flight out of the Marine Air Terminal? Unless something big has happened very recently, only Delta flies out of the MAT right now.

You might be thinking of Concourse C in the Central Terminal, which is where AE flights depart, in which case all you do is exit Concourse D, turn to your left, and then go through security for Concourse C. There are no buses on the sterile side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.