Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Tight evening connection to BOS at JFK: best strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home

[This is awfully similar to this thread-- mods please combine if necessary, but I didn't want to thread hijack.]

My SO is on CI12 arriving JFK (Terminal 1, I think) at 8:30pm Tuesday night, on a ticket with a connecting segment to BOS the next morning on DL. She would very much like to get to BOS that night if possible and doesn't mind throwing away the DL segment and buying a walkup fare. However, she will have bags to check.

There are nonstops to BOS on DL (Terminal 3 at 10:00pm), AA (Terminal 8 at 10:30pm), and B6 (Terminal 5 at 10:35pm).

I suppose DL might be willing to let her board for free if she gets there in time, but maybe trying to get to DL in time, barely missing it, and then getting turned away will waste time that would have been better spent getting to B6--the only non-RJ choice. But I don't know which will be quickest to get to from the CI arrival.

Alas, we can't really hack the $580 I see a changeable ticket on AA selling for.

If you JFK-savvy posters could recommend a course of action, I'd be very grateful. And of course, we have a hotel room on hold for her in case all this goes awry.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA *G
If she lands at 8:30pm at T1, she'll make the 10:35pm no problem. Just have her quickly clear customs, head STRAIGHT for the AirTrain, take it to T5, and get on the plane.

See if she can check in 24 hours in advance at TPE and print her BP so she can go straight through security if she's not checking bags.

JetBlue is showing a $75 fare.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBLUA320
See if she can check in 24 hours in advance at TPE and print her BP so she can go straight through security if she's not checking bags.

JetBlue is showing a $75 fare.
Wow, great fare-- it was $169 yesterday. But will she make it with bags to check?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are always variables like how far back on the plane she is seated (if she's up front, she can get to the front of the immigration line), how long she'll have to wait for her bags to arrive on the carousel, how long the line is at B6 to check in her bags....

If she's flying B6 to BOS, she might be on regional jet. If that's the case, why doesn't she just go straight to security (with her boarding pass she printed in TPE) and then gate check her bags?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
There are always variables like how far back on the plane she is seated (if she's up front, she can get to the front of the immigration line), how long she'll have to wait for her bags to arrive on the carousel, how long the line is at B6 to check in her bags....

If she's flying B6 to BOS, she might be on regional jet. If that's the case, why doesn't she just go straight to security (with her boarding pass she printed in TPE) and then gate check her bags?
B6 uses an A320 for this flight. Plus, B6's regional jets are the larger E90s, not the smaller RJs flown by DL and AA. In any event, the issue might be whether she could get through security with an oversized bag. All of that said, however, she should have enough time to clear immigration and customs, get over to the B6 terminal, and check a bag. As you point out, though, there are lots of variables that can screw up this plan.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Sorry - my $.02 - drive .
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA million miler
driving is not an option

flying for 18 hours from TPE and then driving five hours overnight is an invitation to a disaster- falling asleep while driving or worse- especially if SO doesn't know the way thru the Bronx!

jet lag anyone??

i'd try B6 but i've seen hours long delays trying to clear immigration - unless SO has a US passport - maybe quicker- but you still need to get luggage and clear customs

please also explain to SO the airtrain system- how to get there, which direction to take, where to go, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! SO is going to head to B6 as suggested. Unfortunately she will be leaving TPE more than 24 hours before the B6 departure time and will not be able to print a BP in advance, but she knows how to hustle.

Originally Posted by edgewood
please also explain to SO the airtrain system- how to get there, which direction to take, where to go, etc.
I don't know the airtrain all that well myself as I haven't been through JFK in over four years. So if you know where I could find any clarifying information that would make it easier for her to find the right train, that would be great. Thanks again for all the help!
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

From Terminal 1, there are two different AirTrain routes. Each serves every terminal, but in opposite directions. So your friend should just take whichever AirTrain vehicle arrives at Terminal 1 first. The trip from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5 (Jet Blue) should not take more than 10 minutes in either direction.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments! SO made it through customs in time to buy a walk-up ticket at B6 and check her bags. She says she would not have made it to the DL flight.

Originally Posted by edgewood
Yep, she singled out "AirTrain to Terminal 5" as the single most helpful datum to get her where she was going on time; otherwise, she said, it would have taken her too much precious time to figure out where to find Jet Blue.

Another great performance by FT and all you helpful folks!

Last edited by MikeInMass; Nov 25, 2008 at 12:29 pm Reason: oops, typo
Old Dec 29, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Terminal Transfer Question

Been poking around on search and haven't found an answer yet. Mrs. Pizzaman and I are flying back early from BCN to JFK due to a terminally ill family member.

We arrive at JFK on AA 151 at 2:05pm, and will be first people off plane (2D,G).

If I already have my boarding pass, will we still need to go back through security once we clear customs? Does the AirTrain from T8/9 to T5 stay in the secured area? Trying to figure out how tight we really are. We are not checking bags on either flight.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzaman
If I already have my boarding pass, will we still need to go back through security once we clear customs? Does the AirTrain from T8/9 to T5 stay in the secured area? Trying to figure out how tight we really are. We are not checking bags on either flight.
You'll need to reclear security.

Also note that unless your AA and B6 segments are on the same ticket (and I'm not even sure if that's possible), if the AA flight is late and you miss the B6 flight, neither AA nor B6 is under any obligation to accommodate you on a later flight. So you'll want to have a backup plan in case you miss the B6 flight (or pray that B6 decides to have mercy and accommodate you on a later flight even though they don't have to).
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by themicah
You'll need to reclear security.

Also note that unless your AA and B6 segments are on the same ticket (and I'm not even sure if that's possible), if the AA flight is late and you miss the B6 flight, neither AA nor B6 is under any obligation to accommodate you on a later flight. So you'll want to have a backup plan in case you miss the B6 flight (or pray that B6 decides to have mercy and accommodate you on a later flight even though they don't have to).
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if JFK has transfers between any terminals once your past security? We're both Clear members, and I'm not sure if we could try to clear Security on a shorter line, then transfer terminals.

I do understand nobody needs to accommodate us if we miss our flight. But it's the best chance we have of getting to the hospital on time. Backup plan is to drive from JFK to DC.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if JFK has transfers between any terminals once your past security? We're both Clear members, and I'm not sure if we could try to clear Security on a shorter line, then transfer terminals.
There is no airside transfer between any of the terminals. T2/3 is all one area airside so I guess that sortof counts, but not really. I believe that Clear is only operating in T4, and maybe T1.

Assuming that you are trying to catch the 3:40p JetBlue flight to IAD it'll be tight, but if you have done OLCI and have BPs you've got a chance, assuming you are US citizens.

Security at T5 shouldn't be too bad as you'll miss the morning rush.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
There is no airside transfer between any of the terminals. T2/3 is all one area airside so I guess that sortof counts, but not really. I believe that Clear is only operating in T4, and maybe T1.

[snip]
I've definitely seen it at T7, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.