Search

Help - W hotel or equivalent iN NYC in July

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, OW Plat, Hhonors Diamond

hi fellow FTs,

After a frustranting few weeks of search I am turning to you for help. I am celebrating the 25th anniversary with my beautiful wife and have been doing my best to organise a top NY trip with her in July, with minimum cash outlay.

Have booked Biz class Dub-JFK on Delta at great price (~1100 EUR R/T each) for 22-26 July and have been since trying to lock down my hotel option.

I have specifically been looking to book one of the W hotels in Manhattan, and noticed frustratingly yesterday that the best rate I could get a couple weeks ago (~198 USD/night at the W Downtown on AARP or AAA) is gone and the best I can get now is 245 USD/night at the W New York on SPG hot escapes for SPG members).

Any hint, trick or advice on how I can score a W hotel (or equivalent in Manhattan) on these dates? I am feeling a bit lost now and would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

A

PS am an SPG (12k points), HHonors (18k points), AARP and AAA member if that helps. Non US resident so have never been able to enjoy credit card sign-on bonuses
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Please read the sticky.
unfortunately, hotels in NY are expensive during tourist season. There is little magic anyone can do here getting you a specific property on a specific date, outside of using corporate codes you are likely not qualified for. You can post in the NY travel forum, look at the Starwood forum at promotions discussed there, or call a travel agent.
For "equivalent" properties, look at Travelzoo. It's hard for us to know what you mean by equivalent - hip? Location? Luxury level?
You don't really have enough points to do anything. The AAA and AARP rates should be easily searchable.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
$245/night is super cheap for a NYC luxury hotel, like W. You're not gonna find any cheaper, unless you are willing to downgrade your accommodations.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, OW Plat, Hhonors Diamond
Thank you!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by physioprof
$245/night is super cheap for a NYC luxury hotel, like W. You're not gonna find any cheaper, unless you are willing to downgrade your accommodations.
Agreed. This is a spectacular price for a full service NYC hotel.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'm going to NYC in July for 6 nights and got a really good deal from Expedia for a 5* for less than £900 for a 6 night stay that includes the 4th July weekend.

I have to pay an additional $230 when I get there as a 'resort fee' but that includes internet, newspaper breakfast and evening snacks/ drinks in the lobby. All things I would buy anyway.

But then again I wasn't looking for a particular chain I was looking for a hotel with reasonable facilities in a good location for a good price. Whilst collecting points can be a good thing it can sometimes mean spending more than you really have too.

For my dates I'm seeing the W New York Lexington Ave for £915 and the W Times Square for £1223.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
really good deal from Expedia for a 5*
What hotel?

Is it actually a 5 :-: hotel or just that's what Expedia wants to call it??
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:33 am

W Hoboken via NYOP?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by antuning
hi fellow FTs,

After a frustranting few weeks of search I am turning to you for help. I am celebrating the 25th anniversary with my beautiful wife and have been doing my best to organise a top NY trip with her in July, with minimum cash outlay.

Have booked Biz class Dub-JFK on Delta at great price (~1100 EUR R/T each) for 22-26 July and have been since trying to lock down my hotel option.

I have specifically been looking to book one of the W hotels in Manhattan, and noticed frustratingly yesterday that the best rate I could get a couple weeks ago (~198 USD/night at the W Downtown on AARP or AAA) is gone and the best I can get now is 245 USD/night at the W New York on SPG hot escapes for SPG members).

Any hint, trick or advice on how I can score a W hotel (or equivalent in Manhattan) on these dates? I am feeling a bit lost now and would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

A

PS am an SPG (12k points), HHonors (18k points), AARP and AAA member if that helps. Non US resident so have never been able to enjoy credit card sign-on bonuses
Try code Z3h for two nights-third night free........z4h , 3nights-4th free,... z5h, 5 nights.
Just booked 3 nights in July , paying $209.00 a night for each night (pr-rated.) "W" NY.
Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.