Wiki Posts
Search

Good Italian Restaurants in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
Good Italian Restaurants in NYC?

I havent been to NYC in a long time. But i am going in May. Do any of the FTer's have any suggestions for some really good Italian restaurants that are not too overly priced. I will be staying in Brooklyn but anywhere in the city would be fine with me.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
From Zagat.com

Head to Mulberry Street in Little Italy. You can pick and choose from multiple southern Italian restaurants.

One of my favorites: (from Zagat)

Da Nico

164 Mulberry St.
(bet. Broome & Grand Sts.)
212-343-1212

ZAGAT
Ratings & Review
Food Decor Service Cost
20 17 18 $35
Popular with “tourists” and the “family set”, this Little Italy Italian is a “solid bet” for “generous portions” of “old-school” dishes doused with “plenty of red sauce”; “amusing waiters” add appeal, but in warm weather the “real draw” is that “wonderful” large garden.

And another...
Il Fornaio

132A Mulberry St.
(bet. Grand & Hester Sts.)
212-226-8306

ZAGAT
Ratings & Review
Food Decor Service Cost
23 14 19 $30
“Not designed for San Gennaro visitors”, this “vintage” Little Italy “hole-in-the-wall” has been serving “great meatballs and spaghetti” and the like at “fair prices” for 20 years; just “don’t let its size fool you” – though rather “cramped”, fans say it feels “like home.”

And for desert... you must go to
Ferrara

195 Grand St.
(bet. Mott & Mulberry Sts.)
Manhattan, NY 10013
212-226-6150

ZAGAT
Ratings & Review
Food Decor Service Cost
22 15 15 $18
A “stellar selection” of pastries and espresso awaits at this “stuffa-yo-face” Little Italy pasticceria, on the scene since 1892; despite garish decor and “dismissive” service, it still attracts nostalgic locals as well as “elbow-to-elbow tourists.”

Last edited by dhammer53; Apr 21, 2007 at 11:40 am
Old Apr 21, 2007, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by robnc35
I havent been to NYC in a long time. But i am going in May. Do any of the FTer's have any suggestions for some really good Italian restaurants that are not too overly priced. I will be staying in Brooklyn but anywhere in the city would be fine with me.
I love Pomodoro on Columbus Ave b/w 70th and 71st. It's one of my favorites and the wines by the glass are VERY generous. The best veal in the city.

Here's a review: http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/pomodoro-rosso/

Click here for the onscreen menu: http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...taurantid=1790

I love the vitella al vinsanto. My favorite entree. Plus they have fantastic salads and many, many nightly specials.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:46 am
Commander Catcop

Here are a few more suggestions:

Il Vagabondo on East 62nd Street in Manhattan. The food may be a little pricey but its handmade pasta and nice sauces make it work the trip. The added touch is that there is a regulation bocce court right in the restaurant. I think you can use the bocce court if you are a diner but I have never asked or tried.

http://www.ilvagabondo.com/html/menu.htm

You can also rent out the place for large parties like F-T dos. Here's some info on that:

http://www.ilvagabondo.com/html/info.htm

One of my favorite and less expensive Italian restaurants is right by Times Square called Simply Pasta:

http://simplypastanyc.com/media/simplypasta.html

The pastas are made in house and are very good. Plus the decor is pretty fun and funky with dark colors and giant flying ceramic pasta coming from the ceiling.

I've hosted a few F-T events and Dos at Simply Pasta and as far as I know eveyrone's been happy.

Of course it's not Wollensky Grill but who can resist giant flying pasta!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:48 am
Commander Catcop

Message for Dhammer... what was that Italian restaurant on the West Side of Manhattan where you hosted a DO a few years back?

I can't recall but it was pretty nice.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:50 am

"Italian" is a very big category with a lot of regional and stylistic variations. Do you want northern or southern food? Seafood? Meat? Pasta? Do you want a boisterous family-style place, a serene grown-up place or a hip young persons' place?

A couple places I particularly like:

Lupa in the Village is Mario Battali's more-accessible northern Italian eatery that straddles the line between hip and grown-up. It's a superb restaurant. Not exactly cheap, but a decent value for the quality of food and service you get (certainly cheaper than its sister Babbo).

Max in the East Village and its sister Max SoHa in Morningside Heights are small, cramped southern Italian eateries with simple menus and cheap wine. The crowd skews pretty young and hip at these places, but the food is excellent and authentic, and you can fill your belly for well under $20 (plus drinks).

There are so many more, though...
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
Good Food plus outdoor dining

I'll agree with the recommendation for Lupa.

Another few places I like are:

Aleo on 20th St. betwwn 5th and 6th Ave. www.aleorestaurant.com
Zagat ratings are 19/17/19/$40

Crispo on 14th St. between 7th and 8th Ave's www.crisporestaurant.com
zagat ratings are 22/18/19/$44

Both these places have patio's in the back for outdoor dining in the warm months.

Vittorio Cucina on Bleeker St. near 7th Ave S www.vittoriocri.com
Zagat ratings are 21/17/19/$44
All the food is excellent but their signature dish is the hot pasta which is rolled around in a parmesean wheel tableside and deliciously coated.
They have a beautiful outdoor garden for warm weather dining.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catman
what was that Italian restaurant on the West Side of Manhattan where you hosted a DO a few years back?
Mangia E Bevi? This is a very cheap place adjacent to the theatre district.
Every 15 minutes or so, the waiters pass out tambourines for a few minutes of music. It's not fancy, but they have cheap food that taste good.

Mangia E Bevi
800 9th Avenue, (Corner of 53rd Street), New York City
Tel: (212) 956-3976

Handsome Italian waiters break into high-spirited song at this retro-chic restaurant. Eat, drink and be merry is the order of the day here. Pasta is the premier entree, and there is a lot of it, including fusilli, ravioli and gnocchi. Grilled salmon, tuna and shrimp are also included, as well as some tasty pizzas. Broccoli rabe is available for those who love bitter greens. Best of all for savvy diners, Mangia E Bevi features comfortably low prices. They do not take reservations, so be prepared to wait.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:21 pm

Since the OP will be Brooklyn based, I'll mention two excellent Italian meals I've had in Williamsburg in the past couple of years. La Piazzetta was quite good, a more 'traditional Italian'. Miss Williamsburg was also great, but I have heard that it is now closed or under new ownership, so YMMV.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Mangia E Bevi? This is a very cheap place adjacent to the theatre district.
Every 15 minutes or so, the waiters pass out tambourines for a few minutes of music. It's not fancy, but they have cheap food that taste good.
Be warned that on weekends this place is overrun by bachelorette parties. I'm not really sure how it came to be that way, but there can be multiple parties dining there on any given Saturday night.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Roberto's in the Bronx (off Arthur Ave.)
Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
Thanks everyone for the suggestions i cant wait to eat some great food in NY. Thailand is sorely lacking for good western food
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
you might look into BURTOOUCCI, located in Brooklyn
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI...

BURTOOUCCI
Restaurant Italian
(707) 983-6135
1969 CONEY ISLAND AVE BROOKLYN, NY
Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:25 am
Commander Catcop

Another option for Italian in Manhattan is Forlini's on Baxter Street:

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...0&cuisineid=61

It's been just right outside Chinatown for decades. I was there the other night with friends and enjoyed some nice home made (and nicely priced) Italian dishes (I went with the special of sausage and BIG CLOVES of Garlic in Penne and sauce.)

It has a lot of character and some characters at the bar!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.