Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

How can I spend a 2.5-hour layover at JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:00 am
Original Poster

In order to get the cheapest flight possible I have to stop off in JFK for a two and a half hour layover. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to pass the time? Does anyone know of any good restaurants or bars at JFK?? I know I am going to be bored out of my mind because I will be alone until I meet up with my family at BWI. HELP!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, if you get stir-crazy, you can ride the Airtrain all you like but then, you'd have to go through security again which can take a LONG TIME. In the summer, there can be delays in flights in and out of JFK so you might arrrive at JFK later than you think.

2 1/2 hours really isn't that bad. Here is a list of shops and restaurants for each terminal. Find out which terminal you'll be departing for Jamaica and then find a nice bar or restaurant. Or go shopping. I hope this helps. http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jfkshopsframe.htm
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: LH Sen
Maybe I am extra cranky today, but ...
1) Is this the most appropriate forum for this question?
2) Does anyone else find the disconnect between the thread title and the actual question to be troublesome, if not inconsiderate and rude?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy
Maybe I am extra cranky today, but ...
1) Is this the most appropriate forum for this question?
2) Does anyone else find the disconnect between the thread title and the actual question to be troublesome, if not inconsiderate and rude?
You are a brand new member and this is the kind of thing you write? Shape up now or you won't last long here.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Gee, CrankyOldGuy, considering you've been a member of FT for a whopping 4 days, you've done nothing but complain about the boards in your 6 posts. You even manage to call the board owner by name.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: LH Sen
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Gee, CrankyOldGuy, considering you've been a member of FT for a whopping 4 days, you've done nothing but complain about the boards in your 6 posts. You even manage to call the board owner by name.
My apologies to the OP if my comments were taken in the wrong vein. I will refrain from posting in this forum again.

Mary2e - My question about bagels in SF was not a complaint
I am a long time lurker who was prompted to register when my frustration with FT's assocaition with the adware/spyware company tribalfusion.com boiled over. But that is another subject.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:33 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
CrankOldGuy: Men are welcome to post in the Women Travelers forum, but we do ask posters to treat each other with respect. Since you are new here, you might want to take a look at the FlyerTalk rules and guidelines. If you feel a post is inappropriate or doesn't belong, the appropriate step to take is to click on the warning (report bad post) icon in the lower left corner of the post.

MileHighMarissa: Welcome to FT. I have changed your thread title to make it more descriptive and am going to move this to the New York forum, where I think you'll get better answers.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
If your connection time is 2.5 hours, unless your second flight is delayed, you really won't have 2.5 hours to kill. A half hour for getting off your first flight and walking between gates would not be unusual. Boarding for the second flight will start around a half hour before scheduled departure. So you will probably have more like 1.5, assuming your inbound is on time. Without knowing your airline or concourse, it is hard to give much direct advice, beyond the airport directory which a previous poster supplied.

How do you amuse yourself on the planes? Read? Watch a DVD player or listen to music? If nothing in the airport grabs your fancy, you can always find a seat and do the same at the airport.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Did someone ask for advice?

Take the Airtrain to the Howard Beach station. 12 minutes. Walk across the street and get a slice or 2 of NY pizza.

Walk back across the street, take the Airtrain back to the terminal. 15 minutes.

Cost:

Airtrain $10 R/T
Pizza priceless.

Total elaspsed time = 45 minutes. You have plenty of time.

If you tell us when, mary2e, analise and I will join you. I'll even pick up.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: FB, HH, EB & Choice
You could go to the spa. Get a massage or pedicure, whatever strikes your fancy.

There's a nice pub on the other side of the "street", closer to the gates. Large TV screen at the bar, in case one of your fav sports are on it.

Jerene
(had my eywbows waxed into shape. watched Portugal win on penalties.)
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:31 pm

Good ideas above.

See also these recent threads:

6 hours layover at JFK - Shopping Malls nearby?

JFK waiting 2-4 hours with kids--what to do?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by letiole
MileHighMarissa: Welcome to FT. I have changed your thread title to make it more descriptive and am going to move this to the New York forum, where I think you'll get better answers.
Thank you I don't know what I was thinking, maybe it was the excitement over the trip. This isn't the only forum I post in and I should know the rules already. My apologies.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:49 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MileHighMarissa
Thank you I don't know what I was thinking, maybe it was the excitement over the trip. This isn't the only forum I post in and I should know the rules already. My apologies.
No need to apologize whatsoever. I'm just glad you got some good helpful answers. Have a fun trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.