Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth it to fly into LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Worth it to fly into LGA?

This will be my 3rd time going to NYC, the first time I did JFK and the second time Newark.

Would it be worth it to fly into LGA for the view? It doesn't seem like that airport is appealing otherwise. I loved Newark for how easy the public transportation was from there and it being a really simple airport, and I really want to check out Terminal 5 at JFK. I had taken a different airline there before.

Should I just stick with JFK or Newark again? I was thinking about just flying into LGA, and then taking JFK or Newark on the way back. Flight times at LGA doesn't match my schedule for return trip.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
The view flying into LGA is pretty awesome (make sure you sit on the left side of the plane) but you'll have to decide if that's "worth it" or not. If you are flying Delta, LGA is good too and the new SkyClub there is very nice. But remember that the only public transportation connecting LGA to the City are buses and so you're most likely taking a cab and so want to add that cost too.

I like EWR for the convenience of being able to take the PATH trains to the City. JFK is pretty convenient in that regard too.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The value of LGA is that off hours, it's a 15-min. cab ride into mid-town Manhattan. I love that I can be in my hotel room or at a meeting within 30 mins. of stepping off the plane.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
LGA is the best of the NYC airports. It's small, making the walks from gate to curb very short, and it's the most convenient, whether by taxi, car, or public transportation, to most parts of Manhattan. It's ugly and the roof leaks, but who cares?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

I thought I had read that sitting on the right side of the plane would be best. Or is it the left? And yeah, I'd be flying Delta.

I guess I'll have to decide (booking airfare soon) if the view is worth it to me over flying into JFK or Newark. It would be an early morning weekday flight (arrive at 9:30am), but I most certainly would only take LGA on the way there if I did that.

I like convenient airports, but I also value it being clean and being a good airport in terms of design.

Last edited by PDFierro; Jul 31, 2011 at 6:32 pm
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:54 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by PDFierro
I thought I had read that sitting on the right side of the plane would be best. Or is it the left? And yeah, I'd be flying Delta.

I guess I'll have to decide (booking airfare soon) if the view is worth it to me over flying into JFK or Newark. It would be an early morning weekday flight (arrive at 9:30am), but I most certainly would only take LGA on the way there if I did that.

I like convenient airports, but I also value it being clean and being a good airport in terms of design.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, PDFierro!

Note that it's entirely possible that will be cloudy and you'll see nothing but white . Personally, I'd pick the airport based on convenience and price.

At any rate, here is the thread for LGA views (from the Sticky post at the top of the forum):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...g-off-lga.html

Right or left will be dependent on winds and runway configurations. Difficult to predict. Usually, there are decent views from the left. Occasionally, there are spectacular views from the right.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:36 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If weather is "bad", particularly high wind, LGA arrivals can get delayed, since they have only two runways, while JFK has 4.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dstan
Welcome to FlyerTalk, PDFierro!

Note that it's entirely possible that will be cloudy and you'll see nothing but white . Personally, I'd pick the airport based on convenience and price.

At any rate, here is the thread for LGA views (from the Sticky post at the top of the forum):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...g-off-lga.html

Right or left will be dependent on winds and runway configurations. Difficult to predict. Usually, there are decent views from the left. Occasionally, there are spectacular views from the right.
Thanks for the welcome! I am sure I will do some other posting on here. And thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I might do LGA on the way in just for the view. The price is the same and the flight time is about the same as well. Although JFK/EWR would be a slightly better option.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TAlthough JFK/EWR would be a slightly better option.
Why?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Blumie
Why?
EWR might be a better option if you are going to the very west side of Manhattan. Also, since EWR is a hub for UA/CO there are probably more direct flight opportuntities if you have no real airline alliance and just want the shortest flight option. Those two airports having an all train public transportation to the airport if you are on a budget.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
EWR might be a better option if you are going to the very west side of Manhattan. Also, since EWR is a hub for UA/CO there are probably more direct flight opportuntities if you have no real airline alliance and just want the shortest flight option. Those two airports having an all train public transportation to the airport if you are on a budget.
No offense, but I was asking the OP, who seems unfamiliar with NYC airports, why he thinks EWR or JFK would be better than LGA. A lot of people have misconceptions about the pros and cons of NYC airports, oftentimes created by misleading statements like the last sentence of your post. Yes EWR and JFK have all train public transportation -- and if you're bus phobic, that might be important -- but LGA has faster and cheaper public transportation to most of Manhattan compared to EWR and JFK.

Last edited by Blumie; Aug 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:17 pm
Suspended

No offense, but I was asking the OP, who seems unfamiliar with NYC airports, why he thinks EWR or JFK would be better than LGA. A lot of people have misconceptions about the pros and cons of NYC airports, oftentimes created by misleading statements like the last sentence of your post. Yes EWR and JFK have all train public transportation -- and if you're bus phobic, that might be important -- but LGA has faster and cheaper public transportation to most of Manhattan compared to EWR and JFK.
I agree, however, the Q33 is not designed for airport traffic. I see people boarding that damn bus with huge suitcases and no place to put them except in the aisle. But I would also say that people that use the subway/Q33 option are locals.

Personally, I hate EWR. Its one of the worst airports I've been in.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot of people have misconceptions about the pros and cons of NYC airports, oftentimes created by misleading statements like the last sentence of your post.
Why's it misleading to point out that LGA does not have an all-train option?

That's a simple fact.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

I wouldn't say I am unfamiliar with the NYC airports. I am actually really familiar with them, I just have been hesitant towards taking a flight at LGA. Blumie seems to be all for LGA, so it might be hard for him to see why someone would use another airport.

If you don't care about any of the other factors and just care about getting to your destination in the quickest fashion, then yeah LGA it is. But not everyone has that way of thinking when it comes to airports.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:13 pm
Suspended

I wouldn't say I am unfamiliar with the NYC airports. I am actually really familiar with them, I just have been hesitant towards taking a flight at LGA. Blumie seems to be all for LGA, so it might be hard for him to see why someone would use another airport.

If you don't care about any of the other factors and just care about getting to your destination in the quickest fashion, then yeah LGA it is. But not everyone has that way of thinking when it comes to airports.
For EWR and JFK the actual terminals may or may not be more inviting than LGA. EWR Terminal A and JFK Terminal 7 have no more real traveler amendities than LGA. However, the CO terminals at EWR and JFK Terminal 4 and 5 (Jet Blue) do. JFK Terminal 8 (AA and a few other airlines) is much more spacious but does not have much more in dinning and shopping amendities than LGA.

Of course, the individual airline lounges vary from airport to airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.