Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver Member, Virgin Atlantic Frequent Flyer, SPG Gold
Thank you both for your suggestions.

Guv1976, the Olympic Airporter Princeton shuttle would be ideal if we were travelling with just one large case each, $48 EWR-JFK for both of us. Add another small case each, and they put on a surcharge of $24 each. So it seems geared towards the domestic traveller. They quote $182.95 exc. tip for a car, even with just one case each.

sbm12, I've looked at Dial7.com and that looks the best and safest option.

Is New Years Day a good or a bad day to make the journey? How long should it take?

Thanks,

Simon
Old Nov 24, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver Member, Virgin Atlantic Frequent Flyer, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dstan
I agree, if its within your budget, I would go with Dial7 since you can reserve in advance then just call them when you arrive and they'll usually have a car to you outside baggage claim within 5 minutes. Give your credit card number when you reserve because they need to preapprove. They have a toll free number you can use from out of town.
dstan - I'd be happy to prebook online with them, one less thing to deal with, but would we be penalised if the flight was severely delayed?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by simon50

Guv1976, the Olympic Airporter Princeton shuttle would be ideal if we were travelling with just one large case each, $48 EWR-JFK for both of us. Add another small case each, and they put on a surcharge of $24 each. So it seems geared towards the domestic traveller.

Simon
Simon, Are you sure about the quote you got from Airporter? I just called them and was told that each passenger is permitted two large bags, and one carry-on, with no additional charge. There is only a $24 surcharge if the linear dimensions (L+H+W) of a bag exceed 62". So unless your large bag is LARGE, $48 should cover the two of you.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 24, 2007 at 3:40 pm
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:37 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
dstan - I'd be happy to prebook online with them, one less thing to deal with, but would we be penalised if the flight was severely delayed?
I've never booked online and always call, but I'm local and presumably you are overseas? As long as you get a confirmation number, I think you should be fine. No penalty for delays IME - they usually have lots of cars sitting at the airport waiting for a fare back to the city because many people book a car TO the airport but just take a yellow cab FROM the airport.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Simon, Are you sure about the quote you got from Airporter? I just called them and was told that each passenger is permitted two large bags, and one carry-on, with no additional charge. There is only a $24 surcharge if the linear dimensions (L+H+W) of a bag exceed 62". So unless your large bag is LARGE, $48 should cover the two of you.
Thanks for your help Guv1976. I did check online again, using 4 December midday transfer as a test date with 2 pax with 2 medium, 2 small cases. Again I get $96? Even our largest case isn't particlarly large about 56".

I will email tomorrow, it's midnight over here.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not at all. Your booking basically has them know that you'll probably be there aroung that time, but you have to call when you land and you've collected your luggage and they dispatch a car then. It really is quite easy. I'd pay $30+ for the car versus the bus, but that's just me. Way more convenient and you have tangible value in getting to JFK and into the lounge and having dinner versus sitting on a bus.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I'd pay $30+ for the car versus the bus, but that's just me. Way more convenient and you have tangible value in getting to JFK and into the lounge and having dinner versus sitting on a bus.
While I would never criticize anyone who opted to pay more for the comfort and convenience of a car service over a bus, I'm not sure how much of a benefit there would be in this case. First off, if Airporter will transport 2 passengers with "standard" luggage for $48, the price differential is at least $50, not $30. Second, Airporter has departures from EWR to JFK at both 1:45 and 2:45, either of which would get Simon and his missus to JFK in plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely dinner prior to their 8:30 PM departure. If they were catching a much earlier flight out of JFK, then a taxi or car service would probably be a necessity; in this case, not so much.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 25, 2007 at 9:46 am
Old Nov 25, 2007, 3:49 pm

I've just arrived back home and seen your posts.

I didn't get a chance to email Airporter today to check surcharges. One of my clients had a problem with their network which I had to deal with otherwise Monday morning 40 financial advisors and accountants would turn up to work with no Internet or email access.

If Airporter can confirm there wouldn't be a surcharge on our modest luggage,as you mentioned Guv1976, then it would be the difference between $48 and £92+toll?+tips, so probably about $60 and well worth considering.

sbm12 - Thanks for confirming Dial7 always have cars at EWR. Sometimes when we travel in Europe, the driver has to travel from some distance to collect us, and although, they do check out ETA with the airlines, we could get charged if late.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:41 pm

Best EWR-JFK for family of 5?

What's the best way for us to make the transfer with three young daughters (13, 11 and 8) and luggage (probably four medium pieces) on a weekday in August? Don't really want to start messing around with trains, so car (if big enough) or minibus would probably be best.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Corpt
What's the best way for us to make the transfer with three young daughters (13, 11 and 8) and luggage (probably four medium pieces) on a weekday in August? Don't really want to start messing around with trains, so car (if big enough) or minibus would probably be best.
You won't all fit into a regular taxi, so your choices are:

1. Take the airport bus, as described above.
2. Take a car service. Either Dial 7 or Carmel. You'd need a minivan (will hold five passengers plus luggage, and it'll be $120 plus tolls and tip, so probably about $150-155.

Personally, I'd go with option 2, since it'll probably be about the same price. I prefer Dial 7, but it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other. www.dial7.com
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
To what extent is cost an issue? If I were traveling with three young kids on what sounds like a long trip, I'd forgo both the bus and the cheapo (read: bad service) limo services and step up for on of the real car services that, while they may be more expensive, provide much more reliable and much better overall service.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
To what extent is cost an issue? If I were traveling with three young kids on what sounds like a long trip, I'd forgo both the bus and the cheapo (read: bad service) limo services and step up for on of the real car services that, while they may be more expensive, provide much more reliable and much better overall service.
Not a massive issue. Do you class Dial7 as cheapo? What's the alternative and the higher cost?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Not a massive issue. Do you class Dial7 as cheapo? What's the alternative and the higher cost?
Yes, they are. Dav El, Carey and Boston Coach are three high end services I'm familiar with, although I don't know their prices. There's also a level of car service between the Dial 7 and this level. For example, I use a company called Elite Limousine; I have an account with them, though, and don't know if they do one-off trips.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:37 pm

Hey guys.

Sorry that i have to post in this one, but i'm desperately looking for help.

I'm scheduled to arrive at 1.44 pm tomorrow at JFK (the delta itinery changed, so i have one hour less transfer time now... ) and my flight departs to Geneva on 5.45 at EWR. Both flights are international.

Now the GoAirport and Princeton shuttles don't work for me because they both leave on the hour and I won't make the 2 pm bus. Do I have to take a cab? How is the traffic on friday afternoon? And would public transportation (train) be out of the question? Thanks a lot guys for any answer!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve_Downie
Hey guys.

Sorry that i have to post in this one, but i'm desperately looking for help.

I'm scheduled to arrive at 1.44 pm tomorrow at JFK (the delta itinery changed, so i have one hour less transfer time now... ) and my flight departs to Geneva on 5.45 at EWR. Both flights are international.

Now the GoAirport and Princeton shuttles don't work for me because they both leave on the hour and I won't make the 2 pm bus. Do I have to take a cab? How is the traffic on friday afternoon? And would public transportation (train) be out of the question? Thanks a lot guys for any answer!
Will you have checked baggage on either flight? By what time must you arrive at EWR for your flight?

If you do the transfer by train, you can reliably count on getting from JFK to EWR in two hours.

See posts 12-20 in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...ansfers-2.html

for a current discussion of making the transfer from JFK to EWR by rail.

Last edited by guv1976; Sep 3, 2009 at 12:52 pm Reason: To add reference to related thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.