LGA to Times Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA to Times Square

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
LGA to Times Square

What's the best way to get from LGA to a hotel in the Times Square area? This would be on a Friday around 1pm.

Uber/Lyft? Cab? Bus+subway?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How do you define best? Cheapest will be Q70 to the E train. A car of some sort will likely be faster by 15-30 minutes but 10-15x (or more) the price.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Getting to Times Square in the middle of a weekday afternoon is going to suck by car...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
What's the best way to get from LGA to a hotel in the Times Square area? This would be on a Friday around 1pm.

Uber/Lyft? Cab? Bus+subway?
I say take Public transportation and there are various options. What hotel could sway what subway line and station.

Have you reviewed any of these existing threads?
How To: LGA LaGuardia to Manhattan and Times Square via MTA Subway/Bus
LGA to Intercontinental/Times Square via Public Transit
Need some advice on transportation from LGA to Times Square (fastest)

Perhaps these could be combined into a Master thread?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Getting to Times Square in the middle of a weekday afternoon is going to suck by car...
At 1p I wouldn't expect much trouble. After 3 or 3:30 I would.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
At 1p I wouldn't expect much trouble. After 3 or 3:30 I would.
Agreed. I recommend taking the Q70 bus to the 74th Street/Roosevelt Ave subway station. Then take the 7 train which is the elevated subway line at that station to 42nd Street. The 7 will go underground a few stops later.

The E train to 42nd St is also an option. The station is at 8th Ave so you'd have to walk one long block EAST if you want Times Sq.

Last edited by Analise; Mar 22, 2017 at 12:15 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
Agreed. I recommend taking the Q70 bus to the 74th Street/Roosevelt Ave subway station. Then take the 7 train which is the elevated subway line at that station to 42nd Street. The 7 will go underground a few stops later.

The E train to 42nd St is also an option. The station is at 8th Ave so you'd have to walk one long block west if you want Times Sq.
As noted upthread, which subway makes sense is dependent on which hotel the OP is staying at.

Last edited by Blumie; Mar 22, 2017 at 6:22 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Not the OP, but first time to NYC, any thoughts on this plan to split the difference between cheap/fast? Landing at LGA and staying at Hilton Garden Inn Manhattan-Midtown East.

Looking at taking an Uber/Lyft from LGA to Astoria/Ditmar Station and taking it to Lexington Ave/59th and then walking the final 6 blocks to our hotel? Or maybe it would be better to take an Uber/lyft to the closest M line station and take it straight to Lexington/53rd, which is right next to our hotel?

I also see the Q70 to Roosevelt and take the M line to Lexington/53rd?

Is this crazy? Should I just suck it up and pay the $60ish uber ride straight from LGA to the hotel?

Last edited by OnceARunner; Mar 22, 2017 at 7:27 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just take a taxi. Probably $30-35.

Else Q70 to E train to 53rd/Lex will be reasonably fast, probably 30-40 min max.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Just take a taxi. Probably $30-35.

Else Q70 to E train to 53rd/Lex will be reasonably fast, probably 30-40 min max.
Thanks...I'd like to try the bus but my wife may insist on a taxi. We'll stick to one of those.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Traffic into the City won't be an issue midday. If you have any luggage "near" means lugging stuff, so consider something vehicular. Lack of traffic midday makes this 20-25 minutes. If for some reason you are delayed and stuck in rush hour, don't use a taxi as the meter is spinning while you sit in traffic. Uber/Lyft are fixed, but you will pay for the high demand (surge) pricing likely in effect at the time.

Taxi: $35-40 + Tip = $42-48
Uber/Lyft - Approx. $35 a.i.

Check both apps if the fare on one is appreciably higher as demand drives prices up.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Analise
The E train to 42nd St is also an option. The station is at 8th Ave so you'd have to walk one long block west if you want Times Sq.
East, not west.

Originally Posted by OnceARunner
Not the OP, but first time to NYC, any thoughts on this plan to split the difference between cheap/fast? Landing at LGA and staying at Hilton Garden Inn Manhattan-Midtown East.

Looking at taking an Uber/Lyft from LGA to Astoria/Ditmar Station and taking it to Lexington Ave/59th and then walking the final 6 blocks to our hotel? Or maybe it would be better to take an Uber/lyft to the closest M line station and take it straight to Lexington/53rd, which is right next to our hotel?

I also see the Q70 to Roosevelt and take the M line to Lexington/53rd?

Is this crazy? Should I just suck it up and pay the $60ish uber ride straight from LGA to the hotel?
Take the E, not the M after the Q70 (same stop but E is express in Queens while M is local IIRC). Taking a car to the Subway station won't save enough time to be worthwhile IMO.

Or just take a car the whole way, assuming not in rush hour. Should be much closer to $30-40 than $60.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:35 am

Take the E, not the M after the Q70 (same stop but E is express in Queens while M is local IIRC). Taking a car to the Subway station won't save enough time to be worthwhile IMO.

Or just take a car the whole way, assuming not in rush hour. Should be much closer to $30-40 than $60.
Awesome, many thanks. Especially regarding the difference between express and local trains. Good to know I may have been told the high side of an uber fare.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
East, not west.

As between the E and the M, I take the first to arrive. No question that the E is faster, but between Lexington Ave and Roosevelt Ave the difference is about five minutes. Not worth passing up a train IMHO.

Searching right now for an Uber from LGA to the OP's hotel, Uber is quoting a $40 fare.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:17 pm

East, not west.
I meant EAST. As if one would know that given what I typed. I corrected the post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.