Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-ORD - Confused

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

JFK-ORD - Confused

So I'm looking for a flight from JFK to ORD on Feb 13th. I arrive on the 13th at 2pm from my international flight. I'm looking at the schedule here and there are almost no evening flights. All I see is JetBlue at 3:30pm which isn't a realistic option as it only gives me 90 minutes to clear customers, collect bags, and make it to my new terminal and check in. The other option is a 7:25pm flight but it's $166 one way which seems outrageous.

Why so limited options between two major airports that aren't even 2 hours apart? What am I missing?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Cubbies2016
So I'm looking for a flight from JFK to ORD on Feb 13th. I arrive on the 13th at 2pm from my international flight. I'm looking at the schedule here and there are almost no evening flights. All I see is JetBlue at 3:30pm which isn't a realistic option as it only gives me 90 minutes to clear customers, collect bags, and make it to my new terminal and check in. The other option is a 7:25pm flight but it's $166 one way which seems outrageous.

Why so limited options between two major airports that aren't even 2 hours apart? What am I missing?
The vast majority of flights from NYC to Chicago depart from EWR (a large UA hub), or LGA (the closest NYC airport to Manhattan, and a DL hub and an AA focus city). There's just not that much demand for JFK-ORD service.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
The vast majority of flights from NYC to Chicago depart from EWR (a large UA hub), or LGA (the closest NYC airport to Manhattan, and a DL hub and an AA focus city). There's just not that much demand for JFK-ORD service.
Even so I find it really odd that there is only 1 flight option past 3pm. That's pretty awful. JFK is a major hub for international arrivals. What about all the people that need to take another flight to get home?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Prices tend to be high since this is a business route.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Prices tend to be high since this is a business route.
Prices are actually really cheap though. The only expensive option is the evening flight which unfortunately is the one I need.

Maybe I'll Uber to Laguardia and fly to Midway.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:18 am

What about all the people that need to take another flight to get home?
The reason there are few from JFK is that the domestic flights from JFK are mostly used as feeder service to/from the international routes and ORD has many of those same destinations service with direct flights. It is unlikely that someone is going to fly EU-JFK-ORD when a nonstop EU-ORD is possible.

And for O/D traffic between NYC and CHI the LGA departures are far more convenient in most cases. There are plenty of flights from LGA to ORD or MDW.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JFK is a major hub for international arrivals. What about all the people that need to take another flight to get home?
ORD is also a major hub for international arrivals, or at least enough that you can generally get a nonstop flight from a lot of places.

Why didn't you just book your international trip to ORD instead of worrying about two flights?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA runs Shuttle service to ORD from LGA with 14 frequencies a day, the latest at 9:00 PM. I can't conceive of anybody flying NYC-ORD from JFK, so that would be solely for inbound international connections and those will be few as most places with JFK service have ORD service as well and people will fly nonstop into ORD.

While I am no fan of WN, on this route, it does fly LGA-MDW which avoids the inconvenience of ORD. While the cheap fares on WN are in the $60-70 range, if you no show because your flight into JFK is late or you are delayed in rush hour traffic, that ticket is cancelled. The more expensive flexible fares are $450 and that is what you will pay at walkup if you do no show, so that may be a sub optimal option.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Why didn't you just book your international trip to ORD instead of worrying about two flights?
Emirates doesn't fly the 380 to ORD unfortunately.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Maybe I'll Uber to Laguardia and fly to Midway.
That's the only logical solution here... I did a quick search on Google flights and there are tons of flights for $64 one way on either AA, UA, or DL. Pick your poison!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 5:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. On another topic involving same airports, in late Jan, I have a flight from ORD to JFK arriving at approx. 1:40pm. My Emirates flight to Dubai leaves at 4:30pm. Obviously, if everything goes as planned, it won't be a problem. Would you be comfortable doing that?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:18 am

Would you be comfortable doing that?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.