Search

Affordable Hotels in December - or: IHG point redemption tips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Hi all,

thanks so much for all the advices - greatly appreciated!
I expected already high hotel prices when I booked the flight - thanks god the flight was pretty cheap :-)
I found VERY good (paid) rates for Indigo Brooklyn @ 250 € (~ 280 USD) for a room incl. breafast for 2 nights (11/12 to 13/12). Booked via hotels.com and will get me 6% cashback and qualifies for the hotels.com rewards. Paid via AMEX Platinum so not too big worries in case I get sick for this trip.

That was the best option I could find so far for the 2nd part of the stay. Looking still for options over the weekend, e.g. 08/12 to 11/12.
The La Quinta Inn that I referenced in my earlier post is $126.50 for the nights of 11/12 to 13/12, and $150.67 for the nights of 8/12 to 11/12. I can't see paying extra to be at the Indigo unless you have a particular desire to be in that part of Brooklyn. In fact, I think the location of the La Quinta is far superior for a tourist visiting Brooklyn, since it's in a residential area as opposed to a downtown area. Both locations are extremely convenient to Manhattan.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Hi all,

thanks so much for all the advices - greatly appreciated!
I expected already high hotel prices when I booked the flight - thanks god the flight was pretty cheap :-)
I found VERY good (paid) rates for Indigo Brooklyn @ 250 € (~ 280 USD) for a room incl. breafast for 2 nights (11/12 to 13/12). Booked via hotels.com and will get me 6% cashback and qualifies for the hotels.com rewards. Paid via AMEX Platinum so not too big worries in case I get sick for this trip.

That was the best option I could find so far for the 2nd part of the stay. Looking still for options over the weekend, e.g. 08/12 to 11/12.

My thoughts in this now is:
a) Sign up for IC Ambassador and redeem the weekend voucher then for IC Timesquare. It could be of value to me as I will also be in Bangkok next year and I would benefit from the upgrade + late-check out again
b) Burn some points on HI properties. They have pretty good reviews.
c) Book DoubleTree Hilton in Jersey. Currently on sale at hotels.com für ~ 500 USD (3nights). This should get me free breakfast and probably upgrade (HHonors Gold)

Any advice?
If you're willing to cross the rivers (Hudson or East), look into hotels around Long Island City (Queensboro Plaza) area. I've stayed there several times, and while it's not anything spectacular to look at, you can get some very good rates on very new hotels with close access to the subway (E, M, R, N, Q, G and 7 trains all within a short walk). I've stayed at the about 1-year old Hilton Garden Inn twice, and a quick check just now showed it as low as ~$135 per night. There's also a brand new Courtyard as well as a few others. It's just a few stops on several of those lines to midtown, and the G provides access to Williamsburg and beyond in Brooklyn, without the extra fare of using PATH from New Jersey.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Ok, so I would not normally recommend a La Qunita Inn -- it's not a chain I have faith in -- but there's a newly built one in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and I do trust pretty much any newly built property. Williamsburg is an awesome neighborhood (I should know, I live here), and the hotel also has the advantage of being right by both the L train (the Lorimer stop, which will get you to the east side of Manhattan in two stops, to Union Square in four, and to the west side in six) and the G train (the Metropolitan stop; the G train connects Queens and Brooklyn but does not travel into Manhattan) and just a few blocks from the Williamsburg Bridge, making it very convenient for getting into and from Manhattan. When I search Dec 2-6, I see a rate of $142.75. Hard to beat that!

http://www.lq.com/en/findandbook/hot...google&sissr=1
I am looking at accom in NYC around same time and checked this out. I don't think so. It is three or more blocks to the subway and on Google maps street view it looks very industrial and lacking most of the appeal of a decent vacation home. Also, I would be worried about walking those blocks at night, maybe that is a misconception, but 'safety first'.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by gbs1112
I am looking at accom in NYC around same time and checked this out. I don't think so. It is three or more blocks to the subway and on Google maps street view it looks very industrial and lacking most of the appeal of a decent vacation home. Also, I would be worried about walking those blocks at night, maybe that is a misconception, but 'safety first'.
Huh? The entrance to the the station is across the street (Keap St) from the hotel. The G and L stations are named differently but are connected inside.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by octr202
If you're willing to cross the rivers (Hudson or East), look into hotels around Long Island City (Queensboro Plaza) area. I've stayed there several times, and while it's not anything spectacular to look at, you can get some very good rates on very new hotels with close access to the subway (E, M, R, N, Q, G and 7 trains all within a short walk). I've stayed at the about 1-year old Hilton Garden Inn twice, and a quick check just now showed it as low as ~$135 per night. There's also a brand new Courtyard as well as a few others. It's just a few stops on several of those lines to midtown, and the G provides access to Williamsburg and beyond in Brooklyn, without the extra fare of using PATH from New Jersey.
Thank you! I stayed at the HGI in Long Island City which was good. Could also be an option. Would you prefered this option over Jersey's Double Tree?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:01 am

Thank you! I stayed at the HGI in Long Island City which was good. Could also be an option. Would you preferred this option over Jersey's Double Tree?
The main advantage to staying in LIC/Queens Plaza area is if you're using the subway to travel around the city. Staying in Jersey City means paying separate fares to PATH to cross the Hudson, then the MTA subway fare around NYC. If you'll be using public transit, I find LIC cheaper in that sense (also easier, since the subway lines through the area will typically provide easier connections to most areas you might want to visit). LIC stations are only a few stops away from Midtown.*

I'm a dedicated public transit user when in NYC, but if using Uber/Lyft/Taxis you should have faster and easier trips from LIC as well.

I've never stayed at the DT in Jersey City, but found the HGI to be a perfectly nice hotel for my needs. It's only about a year old so in nice condition as you know. I like it much better than the Fairfield Inn about a block away - one nice feature is the HGI's soundproofing is much better, keeps out the noise of the elevated subway lines!

*If you're looking to make most economical use of the subway, remember that if you expect to make at least 13 trips (boardings through the turnstiles) on the subway, buy the 7-day pass! I've saved money even on 3-4 day trips if we're really roaming the city!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

Wow!! Thank you so much for providing all that helpful insights. This FT forum is awesome. You guys provide so much value to the community and share it in a nice and friendly way!

Cheers
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by octr202
Huh? The entrance to the the station is across the street (Keap St) from the hotel. The G and L stations are named differently but are connected inside.
Apologies - I looked at their Queens Property. Checked out the correct address, area still looks pretty crummy on google maps. Crummy but it is indeed cheap.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by gbs1112
Apologies - I looked at their Queens Property. Checked out the correct address, area still looks pretty crummy on google maps. Crummy but it is indeed cheap.
It's a great and very safe area with lots of restaurants, bars and music venues close by. No, it's not the most attractive block in the neighborhood, but that doesn't translate to unsafe.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Hello once again,

thanks for all the shared info - this is very helpful!

I have now managed to get two options which I have put "on hold", i.e. booked fully-flex :-) Maybe you can help me with the final decision.

1) DoubleTree Hotel Jersey - I have booked that for ~ 190 USD p.N. (Hilton Gold status)
2) Staybridge Suites Timesquare - I have booked using IHG points (no status)

So my way of thinking is: The Double Tree looks a bit more "upscale". Status should get me free breakfast and maybe a room with Manhattan view. However I would need to get there by train. The Staybridge is much more "in the center". However I do not know about the quality - the reviews look nice though. Would you have any advice? At the moment all other hotel prices I find are crazy :-/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.