Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good (but reasonably priced) Buffets?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Good (but reasonably priced) Buffets?

My wife misses the awesome breakfast buffets in hotels in Asia.
Can someone recommend some good buffets (breakfast or lunch/dinner)

I know about Brazilian Steakhouses, but I was thinking more of a Asia hotel breakfast or a Las Vegas buffet (wide variety)

I know there are various Chinese style buffets (which also have non Chinese food) in Queens.
A friend recommended the following to me:
Garden City Hotel is supposed to be good but its $75 a person...ouch!
Limani in Roslyn - its $56 a person.

We've gone to Brasserie 8 1/2 and it was great! and also very affordable, $32 a person. Which makes me surprised the two places in Long Island would be so much more expensive.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by sard
My wife misses the awesome breakfast buffets in hotels in Asia.
Can someone recommend some good buffets (breakfast or lunch/dinner)

I know about Brazilian Steakhouses, but I was thinking more of a Asia hotel breakfast or a Las Vegas buffet (wide variety)

I know there are various Chinese style buffets (which also have non Chinese food) in Queens.
A friend recommended the following to me:
Garden City Hotel is supposed to be good but its $75 a person...ouch!
Limani in Roslyn - its $56 a person.

We've gone to Brasserie 8 1/2 and it was great! and also very affordable, $32 a person. Which makes me surprised the two places in Long Island would be so much more expensive.

Thanks in advance
If you are looking for a Chinese buffet, this one in College Point (near Flushing) Queens is good.
http://thebuffet-ny.com/index.php

The food is not your typical American-style Chinese food but is more authentic and hence the majority Asian customers at this place, so if you've never had authentic Chinese food, the selection may seem a bit unusual (no Western food to speak of at this place). They also have sushi.

Also a good spot for watching planes land at LaGuardia.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:07 pm

I've been to the brunch buffet at the Garden City Hotel. It was pretty impressive. I wouldn't drop $75 on it as I don't eat shellfish and the shellfish was almost certainly the highest value thing on the buffet, but as a guest of someone else I still enjoyed it.

There are some Indian restaurants in Manhattan that have a lunch buffet. None that are really outstanding, though.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:10 pm

If you want the Asian experience stick to breakfast/brunch. Some of the high end hotels offer Asian breakfast items. That's the closest you'll get.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Let me clarify...when I say Asian experience I don't mean Asian food. I mean the breakfast buffets in the hotels in asia.

I've stayed at 3 hotels in Beijing (2 marriotts and 1 Hilton) and a Hyatt and hilton in HK and Shanghai, and a Marriott in Singapore...they all have those giant buffets for breakfast.

Not just Asian food, all types of food, etc...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Can you clarify a bit more regarding good and reasonably priced? There are a lot of buffets near Grand Central that I can get at $10 or good buffet for $20. (https://www.patinagroup.com/cucina-co-metlife/menu#Breakfast+Menu)<they also have a buffet for takeout>

Reasonable for me is $10, if its $70 for you, I can't help.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by closetasfan
Can you clarify a bit more regarding good and reasonably priced? There are a lot of buffets near Grand Central that I can get at $10 or good buffet for $20. (https://www.patinagroup.com/cucina-co-metlife/menu#Breakfast+Menu)<they also have a buffet for takeout>

Reasonable for me is $10, if its $70 for you, I can't help.
What buffets are near Grand Central? I live near there so would be very interested.
Just looked at your link and didn't see a buffet listed there...

I don't mean the buffets at the Deli
I'm thinking more of a Las Vegas type, where there are many types of food and you can sit and relax.

I think the buffet at Brasserie 8 1/2 is the best I've been to in NY.
Good selection at a good price ($32).
I think something below that price would be great.

Thank you
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Let me clarify...when I say Asian experience I don't mean Asian food. I mean the breakfast buffets in the hotels in asia.

I've stayed at 3 hotels in Beijing (2 marriotts and 1 Hilton) and a Hyatt and hilton in HK and Shanghai, and a Marriott in Singapore...they all have those giant buffets for breakfast.

This is outside of NYC, but not too far if you have a car:
http://www.themanorrestaurant.com

The buffet is pretty huge and they are famous for their weekend lobster tail buffet.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:47 pm

It was clear. the closest you will get to the Asian experience in NYC is weekend brunch buffets. Some will be even closer as they offer Asian breakfast dishes.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

At $125/person, this is probably more expensive than you paid for your room and breakfast buffet in Asia, but in terms of the breath and quality of offerings, this looks pretty close:

http://www.waldorfnewyork.com/dining...rf-brunch.html
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Also, the Kitano offers what they describe as a full American and Japanese breakfast buffet every day from 7-10:30am for $30/person. If you take a look at the menu online, it's not nearly as broad as what you'd find at the top Asian hotels, but it may get the job done.

http://www.kitano.com/index.php/Dining/JAZZ-at-KITANO2
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
This is outside of NYC, but not too far if you have a car:
http://www.themanorrestaurant.com
The Manor is a wedding mill and bar/bat mitzvah mill. I've been forced to go to too many events there.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
The Manor is a wedding mill and bar/bat mitzvah mill. I've been forced to go to too many events there.
[You left out graduation parties in May and June.]
I've eaten at the Manors buffet many times. For me the big reason for going was "ALL YOU CAN EAT MAINE LOBSTER".
Over the years the preparation of the lobster has gone down hill--too tough, not very tasty, negating the reason for my going there.
It is nearly impossible to get there by mass transit; the drive time is around 45 minutes...not a short trip.
PS: They had/have(?) a dress code for men: you must wear jackets, placing them on the back of your chair (while dining) was not permitted. Too "stuffy" for me.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:03 pm

The Crowne Plaza in Times Square has a good breakfast buffet with a large selection including some Asian item. It is just off the lobby on the second level. When we were last there in July 2015, it was about $32. Since we were staying there as IHG Platinum, we were given vouchers to the buffet for only $10. When we stayed there in 2014, it was complimentary to IHG Platinums. If you go, try to sit at the window for a great people-watching opportunity.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:58 pm

NYMag just had a writeup on this: http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/07/ch...at-feasts.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.