Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Russ and Daughters to open new location

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Russ and Daughters to open new location

Russ and Daughters will open a new location in 2015 at...

http://ny.eater.com/2014/9/9/6158885...-jewish-museum

dh
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:24 am

Yep. And it's supposed to be kosher.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This will be a second R&D cafe. And while I enjoy the cafe (I've been twice to the Orchard St. location), I still think that any proper tour of the Lower East Side includes a stop at the original store on Houston St. (I suspect you agree. I just want to clarify for non-locals.)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
This will be a second R&D cafe. And while I enjoy the cafe (I've been twice to the Orchard St. location), I still think that any proper tour of the Lower East Side includes a stop at the original store on Houston St. (I suspect you agree. I just want to clarify for non-locals.)
Fully agreed. It's a completely different (although also very good) experience. I also think the best options at the cafe are the ones that differ the most from the offerings at the store.

At the store you want to order a bunch of fish and cream cheese and the small bagels (which are much tastier than the big bagels) and take it home for a feast. Or (if you don't want your hotel room to smell like smoked fish) order nova on a bagel or a Super Heebster to eat on the bench outside and a filet of herring to eat in the store while they assemble your sandwich.

At the cafe the fish is marked up too much for my tastes, while most of the egg dishes and soups, and some of the noshes and sweets are totally worthwhile. The bagels also aren't as good as the rye.

Bonus family-oriented trivia: the cafe has stroller parking. Just ask when you arrive and they'll lend you a chain and lock to secure your stroller outside on the street.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by themicah
Yep. And it's supposed to be kosher.
Well, the new location is inside the Jewish Museum, so...yeah.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
We did a walking tour of the LES a couple of weeks ago and indeed visited the Houston St location, the queues on a Sunday were unbelievable but the place was fabulous.

OT The walking tour was incredibly fascinating, and we got to taste things like Bialys and Knishes (cal me ignorant but both of which were completely new things for a girl that lives in the Nort West of England), the visit to The Pickle Guys was pure torture for my OH however, as he's hypersensitive to anything that contains vinegar
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Chandler Bing
the visit to The Pickle Guys was pure torture for my OH however, as he's hypersensitive to anything that contains vinegar
Then it's a good thing you didn't give him the lemon beet shrub from Russ & Daughters. But you can always make it yourself.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Maybe ignorant question but for the gentile - is this place worth the visit for bagels, lox, sandwich,etc. As anyone can attest - many non-kosher seekers do visit LES for taste of Delancy area before re-gentrification.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by themicah
Then it's a good thing you didn't give him the lemon beet shrub from Russ & Daughters. But you can always make it yourself.
Wow, that sounds interesting!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Maybe ignorant question but for the gentile - is this place worth the visit for bagels, lox, sandwich,etc. As anyone can attest - many non-kosher seekers do visit LES for taste of Delancy area before re-gentrification.
My guess is that when the new outpost in the Jewish Museum opens, it'll be a very good place to get a bagel and lox (most folks actually prefer a bagel with nova, not lox, although nova is often casually referred to as lox). But I don't think there is any better place in the world to get a bagel with cream cheese and nova than the R&D store on Houston Street. There are certainly other places that come close, and there might even be some that are as good. But as a complete experience, I have yet to find a better place.

(As an aside, the R&D store on Houston actually isn't kosher. Many of the products they sell are kosher, but some aren't, and the store certainly isn't under kosher supervision so those who hold strictly by the Orthodox laws of kashrut won't eat there.)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:11 am

I like Russ & Daughters' original store, but was very disappointed in the café. My "toasted" bialy looked like it had been toasted hours ago, it was cold and mushy. And barely enough nova to cover half of it! It's a shame they couldn't get such a simple thing right. I'd rather feast at home on toasted Fairway's mini everything bagels, and Zabar's nova.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.