Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Airways lounge at Newark

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Jet Airways lounge at Newark

I have just learned that Jet Airways has its business lounge before security at Newark. Has anyone here used it before?

I've got a particularly long day time layover (see my separate thread about that) and am thinking about getting a hotel room to get some work done (though that seems tricky to book in advance from hotels I've contacted so far), the other option is the lounge. Would I be allowed in when I've not dropped my bags yet? check-in only opens 3 hours before my evening flight.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What hotels are being tricky? I assume that if they have rooms they will try and sell you one - unless of course you are trying to book so far in advance that they haven't released rooms for sale yet. They are used to people wanting rooms for day stays.

As to the Jet lounge what does their website say about opening times?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by GeekyPete
I have just learned that Jet Airways has its business lounge before security at Newark. Has anyone here used it before?

I've got a particularly long day time layover (see my separate thread about that) and am thinking about getting a hotel room to get some work done (though that seems tricky to book in advance from hotels I've contacted so far), the other option is the lounge. Would I be allowed in when I've not dropped my bags yet? check-in only opens 3 hours before my evening flight.
Full details here about the lounge http://www.jetairways.com/EN/US/Prod...rtLounges.aspx
Also found a phone number on their FB page (973) 733-2275.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - the lounge opens at 12.30pm so still a few hours to kill, probably not a great idea and better to find a hotel.

I tried the Marriott and Holiday Inn, both didn't want to book me a day room and said those only get released the same day if they're not fully booked (which probably is unlikely during busy travel season). Basically the only way to get it now seems to be booking two nights which seems ludicrous.

Guess I'll try some other airport hotels, definitely would've preferred the Marriott on the airport grounds.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeekyPete
Thanks - the lounge opens at 12.30pm so still a few hours to kill, probably not a great idea and better to find a hotel.

I tried the Marriott and Holiday Inn, both didn't want to book me a day room and said those only get released the same day if they're not fully booked (which probably is unlikely during busy travel season). Basically the only way to get it now seems to be booking two nights which seems ludicrous.

Guess I'll try some other airport hotels, definitely would've preferred the Marriott on the airport grounds.
First off are you a an elite with any hotel chain? If you're atleast a mid-tier elite I've never not been allowed an early check-in at a chain hotel. Second if the goal is to do work then I would just take the train in from JFK and either find a coffee shop in Manhattan to do work or you can book a day office from Regus at Newark Penn station(1 stop by train from the airport) for $139.00 less with various discounts you can find. You can also book Regus or Wework offices in Manhattan for more than Newark.
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Great ideas - I've got silver on Hilton Honors, never tried to get early check-in. Admittedly it would be very early and they need to have capacity weekend before the holidays, arriving around 7am at JFK so probably 9am at EWR.

I should see if I can travel without checked bags. That is the only thing holding me back from going into the city, though it would be nice to be able to get a shower before my international connection. Doesn't look like the lounge offers that.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I should see if I can travel without checked bags. That is the only thing holding me back from going into the city"

You can day-check your bag(s) at Manhattan's Penn Station for a small fee if you can show an NJ Transit rail ticket. Since NJ Transit runs from Penn Station to both downtown Newark and Newark Airport, that should not be an issue -- if you can negotiate the trains with all of your luggage.

If you prefer a day room, you might check with the Hilton Newark Penn Station (adjacent to the train station). There is frequent bus service ($1.50) from Newark Penn Station to EWR, or you can take a taxi from the hotel.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I should see if I can travel without checked bags. That is the only thing holding me back from going into the city"

You can day-check your bag(s) at Manhattan's Penn Station for a small fee if you can show an NJ Transit rail ticket. Since NJ Transit runs from Penn Station to both downtown Newark and Newark Airport, that should not be an issue -- if you can negotiate the trains with all of your luggage.

If you prefer a day room, you might check with the Hilton Newark Penn Station (adjacent to the train station). There is frequent bus service ($1.50) from Newark Penn Station to EWR, or you can take a taxi from the hotel.
I'm not sure you can do that with an NJT ticket thought you needed an Amtrak ticket. No matters though just buy a refundable Amtrak ticket for later in the day and refund it when you get the bag back.
Cheers
Howie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.