Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:16 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
New York City government Storm Updates Page (supposedly updated regularly):

http://www.nyc.gov/html/misc/html/20...m_updates.html
Thanks, that's a good summary page and I've added it to the OP, along with the DOT website for roads: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/home/home.shtml
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:33 pm

Monday afternoon updates - Subway details for tomorrow (Thurs, Nov 1)

Originally Posted by dstan

LATEST INFO:

Wed 10/31/12, 2:30pm
- MTA will begin limited subway service Thurs, Nov 1 on 14 out of 23 lines. No subway service below 34th St. on West Side and below 42nd St. on East Side due to power outage. Trains will run every 10 minutes (summarized by unofficial source):
-- 1 trains between 242nd St. and Times Square
-- 2 trains between 241st St. and Times Square, making express stops below 96th St.
-- 3 train service suspended
-- 4 trains running local between Woodlawn and Grand Central; between Borough Hall and New Lots Ave.
-- 5 trains running express between Atlantic Ave. and Flatbush Ave. in Brooklyn
-- 6 trains running local between Pelham Bay Park and Grand Centra
-- 7 train service suspended
-- A trains running local between 168th St. and Penn Station; between Jay Street/MetroTech and Lefferts
-- B train service suspended
-- C train service suspended
-- D trains running local between 205th St. and 34th St.; between Atlantic Ave. and Bay Parkway
-- E train service is suspended.
-- F trains running local between 179th Street and 34th Street; between Jay Street-MetroTech and Avenue X
-- G train service suspended
-- J trains running local between Jamaica Center and Hewes Street
-- L trains running local between Broadway Junction and Rockaway Parkway
-- M trains running local between Myrtle Avenue-Broadway and Metropolitan Avenue
-- N trains running local between Ditmars Boulevard and 34th Street
-- Q train service suspended
-- R trains running between Jay Street-MetroTech and 95th Street
-- 42nd St. S shuttle service between Times Square and Grand Central
-- Franklin Avenue S shuttle service suspended
-- Rockaway Park S shuttle service suspended
- MTA will deploy 330 buses to bridge Barclays Center, MetroTech and Hewes St. to 57th St. and Lexington, using dedicated lanes on 3rd and Lexingoton Aves.
- MTA reporting 3 out of 7 East River tunnels have been pumped dry and are being inspected: Joralemon St (4/5), Rutgers St. (F), Clark St. (2/3) Tunnels. Water remains in Montague St. (R), Cranberry St. (A/C), 14th St. (L) Tunnels, Steinway Tubes (7).
- Metro-North expects near regular weekday schedule on Harlem Line from N. White Plains and on New Haven Line from Stamford beginning tomorrow morning, Thurs, Nov 1.

Wed 10/31/12, 1:45pm
- Metro-North will resume limited, hourly service on Harlem Line (North White Plains - Grand Central) from 2:00pm, Wed, Oct 31. Off-peak fares in effect.
- LIRR will resume limited service in the afternoon on Wed, Oct 31. No details yet.
- Grand Central Terminal will reopen to public at 2pm, Wed, Oct 31.
- MTA to resume limited subway service on several routes tomorrow morning, Thurs, Nov 1. No subway service between 34th St. in Midtown and Downtown Brooklyn - to be supplemented by bus service.
- FDR Drive open northbound from Battery to Dyckman Avenue and southbound from East 125th Street to the Brooklyn Bridge.
- ConEd estimates that power will be restored within 3 days for customers in Manhattan and Brooklyn serviced by underground equipment.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:39 pm

JFK

JFK currently operating on a single runway 31R, mostly long-haul domestic and international.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KJFK
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:53 pm

Subway map for November 1 is here
http://www.mta.info/sites/default/fi...pOct312012.pdf
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by NoName678
As an old subway buff, it's interesting to see some of what isn't running. Manhattan below 34th, some of the E River tunnels, Rockaway & Coney Island -no surprises there.

But I am surprised that there's no 7 service Main St - Queensboro, all elevated means no flooding, and lots of folks with no nearby rail alternatives. Were the tracks damaged somehow?

I'm also surprised that with the LIRR not running to Manhattan, that they wouldn't have E service, at least a shuttle from Jamaica Center to Union Tpke; I guess the alternative for all those pax is a long J ride and then the bus, but that short E link would take a lot of the pressure off the relief buses.

With the 7 out, the Times Square Shuttle may see way more usage than it has in decades.

Good luck, everyone.

Last edited by swag; Oct 31, 2012 at 7:31 pm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Transit options from EWR

From http://www.panynj.gov/airports/newark-liberty.html

Public transportation options for the EWR arriving passengers: The Airtrain is operating at full service taking passengers to the NEC where they can take Amtrak (limited services) to Newark Penn Station and Philadelphia. Our shared ride providers: ATS, Dave’s and Supershuttle are now operating regular service. On Airport Rental Car Companies are all operating. Taxis are available.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:18 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Based on info post #182, I'm confused about how MTA is handling things:
(1)The #7 is elevated from Court House Square to Mets Stadium and then ends (underground) at Main St. which should have NO water damage [I live a mile away and here there was minimal rain here--Main St. is not near any bodies of water.] The yards for #7 trains are near Mets Statdium. Why can't they resume service on the stretch from Main St. to Queensboro Plaza? (On many weekends, that is the routing for #7's)
(2)Since the F line will be running from 179th into Manhattan, assuming #7 were resumed (as I propose), one could transfer to the F at 74th St. to get into Manhattan.
People living in Queens, may want to go into Manhattan.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You get what you pay for: my husband and I took the SBS to/from Costco. Today should have been labeled a "gridlock alert" day. Yikes! Bumper to bumper, packed on buses, it took us hours. True we were glad to get out, but not again. We will walk instead of getting on a bus. That subway service will begin above 34th or 42nd Street is GREAT NEWS!

FYI: HOV restrictions getting into Manhattan tomorrow and Friday between 6am and midnight:

HOV Vehicle Rules For City Bridges

In an effort to reduce resulting traffic congestion, Bloomberg has announced High Occupancy Vehicle restrictions on all four East River bridges and major roadways on Thursday and Friday.

From 6 a.m. until midnight on Thursday and Friday, vehicles traveling into Manhattan must have at least three occupants.

Bloomberg says the governor will extend the measure to include the Robert F. Kennedy-Triborough and Henry Hudson bridges as well as the Lincoln Tunnel.
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ollowing-storm

Last edited by Analise; Oct 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:38 pm

LGA opens w/limited flight schedules Thu 1-Nov 07:00AM Eastern Time

10/31/2012 5:24:53 PM
LGA will open tomorrow, Thursday, November 1, at 7:00AM. Air carriers will be operating limited flight schedules. Please contact your airline before traveling to the airport to determine the status of your flight.
Source Port Authority website:
http://www.airportinfoalerts.com/recentmessages.aspx
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
We'll take advantage of the free buses tomorrow. We need things at Costco so let's see if the SBS is running and how smoothly it goes.
Too bad you didn't just come down to my place - I did a big Costco trip the weekend before last and it's all rotting away in my power-less apartment. I'd have been happy to give stuff away to someone with a working fridge.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
So the MTA now supposely has buses up and running. Along 14th there is a virtual caravan of accordion buses going up and down the street, mostly empty. I get to Sixth ave, the major fareway uptown, a route where you expect to see a significant number of buses running. Walking from 14th to 40th street I see one MTA bus with a Next Bus Please sign.

Again, proving my belief that the MTA is a stupid organization full of useless imbeciles.

And do get me started on Con Ed. No power until Friday or the weekend now!
No kidding. You would have thunk they could have waved their magic wand to make the astounding gridlock that gripped midtown disappear.

Yes, I recognize that where you were standing, at 14th and 6th, traffic was moving remarkably well, but as Analise can attest, that was hardly the case in midtown. I just completed a run up 8th Avenue (the building where the facade fell still looks exactly like it does in the pictures!), across CPW (where I got a great view of the dangling crane!), and down 3rd Avenue. Traffic on 8th beginning around 30th St. and continuing all the way up to CPW, traffic on CPW, and traffic on 3rd as far as I could see was all barely crawling. I saw an astounding number of MTA buses caught in that gridlock, but if they're all caught there, they can't also be downtown, even though the traffic might be moving fine downtown.

FWIW, I have a good view of 2nd Ave and 41st St from my office, and it appears that traffic heading down 2nd has been moving nicely all day.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:38 pm

My coworker ended up walking into Manhattan from Woodside in Queens - she made it ahead of a colleague who was 3 blocks behind her on a bus and had been on it for 2 hours.

Let's hope the pooled buses from Queens and Brooklyn to 57th & Lex work better than that tomorrow.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:41 pm

FWIW, I have a good view of 2nd Ave and 41st St from my office, and it appears that traffic heading down 2nd has been moving nicely all day.
I can't imagine anyone wanting to go south of 41st.

My son lives within that area (no power) and said he was among hundreds of people walking uptown with suitcases on Tuesday.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:42 pm

Wednesday evening update

Originally Posted by dstan

LATEST INFO:

Wed 10/31/12, 7:50pm
- LGA will reopen for limited operations at 7am on Thurs, Nov 1 (Port Authority and FAA).
- JFK remains open for limited operations. Airtrain service remains suspended and has been replaced by bus service.
- EWR remains open for limited operations. All car rental facilities closed until further notice. Airtrain is operating with connections to Newark Penn Station and Philadelphia.
- TEB is open only for daylight operations and will be closed from 6:20pm EDT Wed through 6:00am EDT Thurs, Nov 1 (FAA).

- Queensboro, Manhattan, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Triboro, Henry Hudson Bridges, and Lincoln Tunnel will require private cars to have a minimum of 3 persons to cross between 6am-Midnight on Thurs, Nov 1 and Fri, Nov 2.
- MTA has posted official list of planned subway service by line [PDF] and via map [PDF]
- MTA subway service in East River tunnels unlikely to resume before weekend, probably later, according to Mayor Bloomberg
- LIRR resumed limited, hourly service between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal/Brooklyn this afternoon. Service will connect to shuttle buses from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn to Manhattan beginning Thurs, Nov 1. Off-peak fares in effect, no onboard penalty fees. A planned timetable has been posted [PDF]
- Metro-North will run nearly regular weekday service on Harlem Line (Mount Kisco - Grand Central) and on New Haven Line (Stamford - Grand Central) on Thurs, Nov 1. Hudson Line service remains suspended due to extensive damage. Hudson and West-of-Hudson tickets will be honored on Harlem Line. Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Lines, operated by NJ Transit, remain suspended.
- NJ Transit will resume most bus service on Thurs, Nov 1.
- NJ Transit resumed limited service on the River Line light rail at 3pm Wed, Oct 1, running every 30 min between Walter Rand Transportation Center in Camden and Trenton Transit Center.
- NJ Transit has no estimates for resumption of other commuter rail and light rail service.
- Amtrak will expand modified Northeast Corridor Service on Thurs, Nov 1 to include Northeast Regional service between Boston and New Haven and between Newark, NJ and points south. No Northeast Regional service between New Haven and Newark, NJ. Acela service remains suspended throughout the Northeast Corridor.
- Amtrak expects to resume limited service to NYC Penn Station on Fri, Nov 2, with details to be posted Thurs, Nov 1.
- Amtrak will resume Shuttle, Capitol Limited (Chicago to Washington direction only), Pennsylvanian, Auto Train service.
- Port Authority bus terminal has reopened as of 9am Wed, Oct 31, with some carriers running limited service, including Greyhound, Peter Pan, Susequehanna

- Zone A mandatory evacuations remain in effect until building inspections are complete. Inspections in Staten Island are expected to be completed by tomorrow, Thurs, Nov 1. Buildings will be tagged with green (safe to enter), yellow (use great caution), or red (do not enter) tags in lieu of individual notifications.
- NYPD recruits will begin directing traffic at intersections without lights tonight.
- NYPD light towers will increase tonight from 80 to a target of ≈180
- ConEd has restored some power in the high-20's according to Mayor Bloomberg.
- AT&T and Verizon have requested assistance to pump out some locations causing loss of phone service.
- Bellvue Hospital began a full evacuation as of 2pm Wed, Oct 31 due to storm damage.
- Crane at 157 W57 has been inspected and street below is not expected to reopen fully until the weekend at earliest.
- Throw away any foodstuffs that may have come in contact with floodwater, which may carry sewage, etc.
- Water is being trucked in to buildings without power (water pumps)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Based on info post #182, I'm confused about how MTA is handling things:

(1)The #7 is elevated from Court House Square to Mets Stadium and then ends (underground) at Main St. which should have NO water damage [I live a mile away and here there was minimal rain here--Main St. is not near any bodies of water.] The yards for #7 trains are near Mets Statdium. Why can't they resume service on the stretch from Main St. to Queensboro Plaza? (On many weekends, that is the routing for #7's)
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I would have thought the 7 train, at least between Queensboro Plaza and Main St., would be one of the first lines to be up and running.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.