Reload this Page >

8 hour layover in NYC/JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 hour layover in NYC/JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because it gives them something to talk about.

There are rarely issues so significant that they'd affect someone trying to make a visit as described.
How many days a week, on average, do you drive in New York City? For me, the answer is seven and I find traffic problems much more frequent.

The first sentence you posted makes as much sense as saying that's the reason Newsradio 88 broadcasts the Yankees; "because it gives them something to talk about."
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
How many days a week, on average, do you drive in New York City? For me, the answer is seven and I find traffic problems much more frequent.
Given that most of the suggestions above involve mass transit I'm not so sure your driving habits matter to answer the OP's question, but I doubt that really matters.

As for how often the roads are such that it will materially affect getting between JFK and midtown should the OP choose to go with a taxi, towncar or one of the bus services, I'll stand by my previous assertion that the number of unexpected "incidents" which materially affect the transit times are relatively low.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Given that most of the suggestions above involve mass transit I'm not so sure your driving habits matter to answer the OP's question, but I doubt that really matters.

As for how often the roads are such that it will materially affect getting between JFK and midtown should the OP choose to go with a taxi, towncar or one of the bus services, I'll stand by my previous assertion that the number of unexpected "incidents" which materially affect the transit times are relatively low.
Let me connect the dots for you. I drive every day so I pay careful attention to the traffic reports which also included information about problems with the transit system. There are plenty of both.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Let me connect the dots for you. I drive every day so I pay careful attention to the traffic reports which also included information about problems with the transit system. There are plenty of both.
And I ride the transit system nearly every day and pay lots of attention to it as well. I believe you are exaggerating the frequency and significance of the issues.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I'm not moderator but the back and forth is not solving anything as you both have an opinion and I can easily side with both of you - as you are both right.

On one hand - if I told someone to drive from JFK to/from LGA I would tell them it takes 45-55 minutes even though without traffic (only available at 1-4am) the route can be accomplished in 17 minutes easily. The norm on the VWE & GCP is slow down which happens constantly and not worth mentioning (even in normal traffic reports) just add the time.
On the other hand - Occasionally, there is an overturn vehicle on the GWB or Lincoln Tunnel or Rt 1/9 S towards EWR over Skyway which makes the normal 20 minutes delay translate into an unbearable 2 hrs. If one is going to an airport - it is important to listen for the infrequent hiccups that could make you miss a flight.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
If one is going to an airport - it is important to listen for the infrequent hiccups that could make you miss a flight.
That sums it up.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
it is important to listen for the infrequent hiccups that could make you miss a flight.
Yes, but it makes more sense to me to plan based on things working and then, if one of these hiccups does occur, know how to get around it (i.e. switch from taxi to mass transit or vv) rather than assume that it is going to be 3 hours in each direction because a truck might overturn somewhere in the tri-state area. It comes down to reasonable expectations IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.