Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What about East Village Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

This looks like a good deal, albeit free of personal service, but I have not been able to find out anything elsewhere about this hotel.

http://bookit.com/us/new-york/new-yo...village-hotel/

Let me know what you think. I might try to do cheaper on Priceline, but I like the sound of this.

There is a TripAdvisor forum thread pointing out that the 147 First Avenue entrance does not look promising, but BookIt says entrance is via 9th.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not a bad location at all. Why not. 9th and 1st is fine. It's a real neighborhood and not touristy.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might be biased since I live about 2 minutes from there, but it's in a great neighborhood - close to the subway and tons of good places to eat and drink.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
It's a block from Veselka; how bad could it be?

I think there's a bus stop right outside on 1st Ave, plus the crosstown bus that goes on 9th St. as well.

+1 and I might take a walk by tomorrow to check it out. I'm curious to see if it's a real hotel and not some apartment building masquerading as one. I have a co-worker from our SoCal office who is looking for an inexpensive place to stay in August and this might be a good option.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I'm guessing that's the building on the NW corner that was recently gutted out, and which has The Bean (a coffee shop) on the ground floor. As another person who lives very nearby, it's a great neighborhood, with Flyertalk favorite Veselka only a block away. And you'll have a crosstown bus right outside your front door if you find the walk to the subway too long.

I wonder if it's legally zoned/whatevered to be a hotel, though? It certainly doesn't have a proper lobby. But I guess it won't affect you, the user. If you do stay there, please report back--we might want to put our relatives there when they come to visit.

ETA: See what happens when the other half and I post at the same time on different computers... And who knew the local library was a sightseeing destination?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I think it's a fine location, can't speak about the merits of the hotel, however.

A nice walk from there would be across the Williamsburg bridge and back.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
OK, we're back from our evening constitutional, and the place looks more legit than I thought it would be. It is indeed in the building with The Bean on the ground floor. There is no sign on the outside saying "East Village Hotel", but there is a small glass-fronted foyer with a fancy modern chandelier and a bench, and the iPad check-in stations, and a numerical keypad thingy on the outside for guests to get in. The door is on the 9th St. side, but marked "147" (the 147 on the 1st Ave side leads into a basement).
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calcifer
OK, we're back from our evening constitutional, and the place looks more legit than I thought it would be. It is indeed in the building with The Bean on the ground floor. There is no sign on the outside saying "East Village Hotel", but there is a small glass-fronted foyer with a fancy modern chandelier and a bench, and the iPad check-in stations, and a numerical keypad thingy on the outside for guests to get in. The door is on the 9th St. side, but marked "147" (the 147 on the 1st Ave side leads into a basement).
Hah - I was just about to post that - just walked by there about 45 min ago on my way to Key Foods. Looks like the workers are putting the flooring in to the Bean place.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Excellent - I appreciate the update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.