Megabus: NYC-New Brunswick/Princeton

Subscribe
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Just got the E-mail from Megabus. Service starts April 4. Fares start at $1.00 each way, plus a 50-cent booking fee.
One dollar? Do the buses have brakes?
Apparently these are "codeshares" for Suburban Transit/Coach USA routes. (Search megabus.com for departure locations for the runs.) Seems like an interesting experiment.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Quote: One dollar? Do the buses have brakes?
Geez! Some people want everything.
There are a few of these routes around - the fares START at $1.00, but my understanding is that there are only a few seats actually available at that price, and you have to book early to get them.

----------------------------
We'll let this thread stand alone for a few days, then will merge it into the main NYC Bus Company thread.
/Moderator
Quote: Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Geez! Some people want everything.
Yes. Even when I book nonstop travel, I don't mean it literally.
Essentially both Bolt Bus and MegaBus have a few seats for a few trips a week for $1, which usually get taken as soon as they put up their schedules. Both have modern buses that other than traffic seem to run on time. All ticket sales are in advance and both price in pracitice like airlines.

Bolt Buses are nicer and have more legroom but MegaBus has more trips to at least DC and puts its schedule out far in advance of Bolt Bus. Both have free wifi although my previous three trips on MegaBus, including this weekend, the wifi cut out shortly after the bus began in motion.

Megabus will allow you to standby for an earlier bus and if there is room you can get on for a $5 charge (credit or debit cards only).