How much time do I need from Manhattan to EWR on friday morning? Dec 23rd

Subscribe
I know this might seem totally hypothetical but my latets travel experience during a big holiday (thanksgiving) left me with a three hour ordeal trying to get from Manhattan to JFK (in a cab). I barely made my flight and had I been in economy had I definitely missed it.

As a first time holiday traveller from the states what can I expect in terms of traffic to EWR on friday morning? Any ideas?

I'll be starting in Manhattan around 14th street and my international flight leaves at 8:55 from EWR.
It should not be any problem at that hour, I would guess about an hour maximum to get there on a Friday Morning assuming good weather.

If the train is an option, that's probably more reliable as a way to get there.
For more discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the Travel->NYC forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
As mentioned above, public transport works pretty well. You could take the PATH to Newark Penn, then NJTransit to EWR (I looked up the schedules briefly and it seems like the trains run early enough.) 14th Street PATH -> Penn is around 30 minutes, and Penn -> EWR is barely 5.
Another vote for public transit. Shouldn't be more than an hour by taxi (probably less), but public transit (assuming you don't have a lot of luggage) will definitely narrow the variability a LOT.
Your flight leaves at 8:55am. What time do you want to arrive at EWR? 2 hours in advance? If you want to be driven door-to-door, take car service. Don't take a taxi because it will be more expensive. We have a thread about car service in this forum so you can decide for yourself which you want to take. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...-services.html

I like Dial 7 or Carmel.

You don't want to take a taxi because you'll have to pay ROUNDTRIP for that NYC taxi to return to Manhattan. NYC taxis aren't allowed to pick up fares at EWR.

So you're on 14th Street....on the west side? East Side? Well, whichever, allow an hour.
Quote: It should not be any problem at that hour, I would guess about an hour maximum to get there on a Friday Morning assuming good weather.

If the train is an option, that's probably more reliable as a way to get there.
Agreed. I would explore the train option myself. Definitely the most reliable way to get there, assuming you have relatively easy access to Penn Station.
As other indicate - at that early hour (assuming you are leaving Manhattan at 6am) you have NO traffic from Manhattan to EWR even though it is a hybrid start of holiday.
However, if you are traveling alone (without much luggage) public transportation is very easy and direct to airport.

From 14th - you can take Path (off 6th Ave) to JSQ to NWK
or take subway on 8th or 7th Ave OR 6th Ave OR (yellow line) at Union Sq north to 34th Street and walk to Penn Station. NJ Transit should get you to airport AirTran station within 35 minutes.

There is also a Olympia Trails bus option which leaves 42nd directly to airport terminal every 15 minutes which would save you tremendously vs. a cab to airport.
If money is no issue for you, go the DIAL-7/Taxi Route.

To be frugal:

Take the PATH Train from 14th Street to Journal Square. At Journal Square, transfer directly across the platform to a PATH train to NEWARK. Trains will be running ever 25/30 minutes before 5:00am, with setvice picking up thereafter. -- Total trip time, including the transfer is just under 40 minutes, and $2.00

At Newark Penn Station, so long as it is after 3:30, take the NJ Transit #62 bus to the Airport. It leaves every 30 minutes, on the :00 abd :30, and stops at all three terminals. -- Total trip time, around 20 minutes, and $1.50.

So for under 4.00, you can get right to your terminal in about an hour.