Best NYC hotel for 1 night stay?

Subscribe
Hey all, so me and a friend are heading to NYC for thanksgiving, wed-sunday. We dont have tons of money so are staying with friends in Jersey to save some cash but are looking at staying at least 1 night in the city so we can do some nightlife things. What hotels would you recommend for a really nice stay? Currently looking at either the Plaza or maybe the St.Regis
If you don't have tons of money, will be out on the town anyway and seem like young guys, why the heck would you want to stay at the Plaza or St Regis (average guest age 50+?)?

Have a look at Soho House, which basically comes with its own night-life attached. Or the Gansevoort across the road, or the Standard behind Soho House. Or, as you are SPG Gold, one of the W properties. Surely that makes more sense?

FWIW, the suites at Soho House offer some of the best 'bang for your buck' in the city I think.
Your age and what kinda of night life you are looking for would be helpful. I would think you would also look at Hotel Americano, or The Standard and get one of their large rooms for the same price as the other hotels you mentioned. Service at Hotel Americano is very good and I have stayed in the largest and smallest rooms and liked both.
We both do love the classic luxury hotels, in addition to the newer modern style ones, so we would enjoy the old world charm of the Plaza as much as a W. Will check out the ones you listed
The Carlyle or the Hotel Plaza Athene are our favorites. I've also heard the Lowell is very nice. Have fun!
Quote: We both do love the classic luxury hotels, in addition to the newer modern style ones, so we would enjoy the old world charm of the Plaza as much as a W. Will check out the ones you listed
The Plaza and the W properties are all dumps.

If you would like a more classic decor perhaps St. Regis or R-C Central Park would be good choices. You could also consider the Pierre.

Lowell and Carlyle are not good choices if one is looking for an entry level room, which sound like the case.
Quote:
FWIW, the suites at Soho House offer some of the best 'bang for your buck' in the city I think.
+1

Standard may also be a good idea as it is much easier to get into their bar if you are staying at the hotel (which if nightlife is a goal could be useful for the "youngsters").
soho house is 24 rooms and hotel guests/members only

when i stayed, gansevoort gave suite guests guestlist at basement lounge/club

greenwich, lowell, trump are best regarded here
Quote: soho house is 24 rooms and guests/members only
If you are trying to say that only members can book rooms, then that is not true. Anyone can book a Soho House room - I think they are even in the GDS now -although members get them cheaper.
What about Greenwich Village and SoHo?

You could then choose from The (very lovely) Greenwich Hotel (viewed on here as one of the top choices), The Bowery, Crosby Street, Trump Soho, The Jane etc etc - tons of options in a very cool young and vibrant area. The Standard is a party hotel too.
Quote: What about Greenwich Village and SoHo?

You could then choose from The (very lovely) Greenwich Hotel (viewed on here as one of the top choices), The Bowery, Crosby Street, Trump Soho, The Jane etc etc - tons of options in a very cool young and vibrant area. The Standard is a party hotel too.
Soho Grand is a good choice in this case as well- the rooms are small however it is a nice hotel overall (don't book the lower categories of rooms).
Please continue to follow this thread in the NYC Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Quote: Hey all, so me and a friend are heading to NYC for thanksgiving, wed-sunday. We dont have tons of money so are staying with friends in Jersey to save some cash but are looking at staying at least 1 night in the city so we can do some nightlife things. What hotels would you recommend for a really nice stay? Currently looking at either the Plaza or maybe the St.Regis
You both "don't have tons of money" but you're looking to spend a night during Thanksgiving weekend, arguably one of the most expensive weekends in NYC, at the Plaza or St Regis? Just curious, have you priced them for the night? Do they really fit your budget?
Quote: If you don't have tons of money, will be out on the town anyway and seem like young guys, why the heck would you want to stay at the Plaza or St Regis (average guest age 50+?)?
Quote: The Carlyle or the Hotel Plaza Athene are our favorites.

[snip]
lol.

I guess this is the next natural suggestion: http://www.esplanademanhattan.com/

Honestly, Gansevoort is probably exactly right, if it's available.
this is really weird. We don't have money but what's the best hotel in NYC on the most expensive date?

If you're going to go cheap check out the YMCA's around town.