Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic > New York City
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 3, 11, 1:24 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Posts: 2,381
Best NYC hotel for 1 night stay?

Hey all, so me and a friend are heading to NYC for thanksgiving, wed-sunday. We dont have tons of money so are staying with friends in Jersey to save some cash but are looking at staying at least 1 night in the city so we can do some nightlife things. What hotels would you recommend for a really nice stay? Currently looking at either the Plaza or maybe the St.Regis
xolinlevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 11, 1:29 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 22,696
If you don't have tons of money, will be out on the town anyway and seem like young guys, why the heck would you want to stay at the Plaza or St Regis (average guest age 50+?)?

Have a look at Soho House, which basically comes with its own night-life attached. Or the Gansevoort across the road, or the Standard behind Soho House. Or, as you are SPG Gold, one of the W properties. Surely that makes more sense?

FWIW, the suites at Soho House offer some of the best 'bang for your buck' in the city I think.
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 11, 1:41 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: new york city
Posts: 510
Your age and what kinda of night life you are looking for would be helpful. I would think you would also look at Hotel Americano, or The Standard and get one of their large rooms for the same price as the other hotels you mentioned. Service at Hotel Americano is very good and I have stayed in the largest and smallest rooms and liked both.
zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 11, 1:57 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Posts: 2,381
We both do love the classic luxury hotels, in addition to the newer modern style ones, so we would enjoy the old world charm of the Plaza as much as a W. Will check out the ones you listed
xolinlevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 11, 3:51 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 275
The Carlyle or the Hotel Plaza Athene are our favorites. I've also heard the Lowell is very nice. Have fun!
Sunny 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 11, 12:38 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolinlevh View Post
We both do love the classic luxury hotels, in addition to the newer modern style ones, so we would enjoy the old world charm of the Plaza as much as a W. Will check out the ones you listed
The Plaza and the W properties are all dumps.

If you would like a more classic decor perhaps St. Regis or R-C Central Park would be good choices. You could also consider the Pierre.

Lowell and Carlyle are not good choices if one is looking for an entry level room, which sound like the case.
MikeFromTokyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 11, 4:45 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 13,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

FWIW, the suites at Soho House offer some of the best 'bang for your buck' in the city I think.
+1

Standard may also be a good idea as it is much easier to get into their bar if you are staying at the hotel (which if nightlife is a goal could be useful for the "youngsters").
TRAVELSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 11, 4:51 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 21,515
soho house is 24 rooms and hotel guests/members only

when i stayed, gansevoort gave suite guests guestlist at basement lounge/club

greenwich, lowell, trump are best regarded here

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 4, 11 at 6:23 am.
Kagehitokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 11, 5:58 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 22,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
soho house is 24 rooms and guests/members only
If you are trying to say that only members can book rooms, then that is not true. Anyone can book a Soho House room - I think they are even in the GDS now -although members get them cheaper.
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 11, 6:54 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 190
What about Greenwich Village and SoHo?

You could then choose from The (very lovely) Greenwich Hotel (viewed on here as one of the top choices), The Bowery, Crosby Street, Trump Soho, The Jane etc etc - tons of options in a very cool young and vibrant area. The Standard is a party hotel too.
bigmerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 11, 7:56 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 13,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmerv View Post
What about Greenwich Village and SoHo?

You could then choose from The (very lovely) Greenwich Hotel (viewed on here as one of the top choices), The Bowery, Crosby Street, Trump Soho, The Jane etc etc - tons of options in a very cool young and vibrant area. The Standard is a party hotel too.
Soho Grand is a good choice in this case as well- the rooms are small however it is a nice hotel overall (don't book the lower categories of rooms).
TRAVELSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 11, 11:23 pm   #12
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels and TravelBuzz!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: DL
Posts: 21,855
Please continue to follow this thread in the NYC Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Moderator
Luxury Hotels
obscure2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 11, 6:19 am   #13
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 51,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolinlevh View Post
Hey all, so me and a friend are heading to NYC for thanksgiving, wed-sunday. We dont have tons of money so are staying with friends in Jersey to save some cash but are looking at staying at least 1 night in the city so we can do some nightlife things. What hotels would you recommend for a really nice stay? Currently looking at either the Plaza or maybe the St.Regis
You both "don't have tons of money" but you're looking to spend a night during Thanksgiving weekend, arguably one of the most expensive weekends in NYC, at the Plaza or St Regis? Just curious, have you priced them for the night? Do they really fit your budget?
__________________
Choose wisely; treat kindly

Last edited by Analise; Nov 5, 11 at 6:28 am.
Analise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 11, 10:07 am   #14
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
If you don't have tons of money, will be out on the town anyway and seem like young guys, why the heck would you want to stay at the Plaza or St Regis (average guest age 50+?)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny 1 View Post
The Carlyle or the Hotel Plaza Athene are our favorites.

[snip]
lol.

I guess this is the next natural suggestion: http://www.esplanademanhattan.com/

Honestly, Gansevoort is probably exactly right, if it's available.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 11, 5:46 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Posts: 898
this is really weird. We don't have money but what's the best hotel in NYC on the most expensive date?

If you're going to go cheap check out the YMCA's around town.
closetasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 am.