Man "Holds Onto" Same Parking Spot For 11 Years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

From today's New York Post:
Eleven years ago, Charles Mysak snagged a primo parking spot on the corner of Columbus Avenue and 68th Street -- and he hasn't budged since.

The sidewalk bookseller keeps his inventory piled up in the beat up green '94 Civic, held partially together with duct tape, and feeds the meter $36 a day -- in quarters -- to hold on to the spot.

Traffic agents paper him with parking tickets for overstaying his welcome, and he's even been towed once or twice, but the defiant Mysak, 60, continues to hold on to the spot he first claimed during the Clinton administration.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz1VXGv88JO

The only question I have is: what's his FT handle?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Got another question: Check out the picture....does it look like the car is parked on a corner? Looks like someone is behind him at the corner.

Yet another question: The guy has to leave to get gasoline at least once every few months, so what does he do with the space? Maybe his wife parks her car there while he gets gas.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Analise
Got another question: Check out the picture....does it look like the car is parked on a corner? Looks like someone is behind him at the corner.
Maybe the Post was a little loose with the term "corner" and they should simply have said near the corner.

Yet another question: The guy has to leave to get gasoline at least once every few months, so what does he do with the space? Maybe his wife parks her car there while he gets gas.
Ha ha! I would guess if all he does is move out of the way for a sweeper, it's possible he could go for a year without a fill-up.

Even better question: How does he get the once a year DMV inspection? I never heard of a mobile service for that.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: none
Maybe the story doesn't include all the necessary facts.

OR, maybe they got some of it wrong.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Ha ha! I would guess if all he does is move out of the way for a sweeper, it's possible he could go for a year without a fill-up.
After several months, even he would need some gas.

Even better question: How does he get the once a year DMV inspection? I never heard of a mobile service for that.
His wife parks her car there until he returns?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: none
If he's leaving periodically and having someone else take his place, then he's not staying there continuously.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
If he's leaving periodically and having someone else take his place, then he's not staying there continuously.
Very true. Thus there is an inconsistency here or...he has an empty tank and has plenty of tickets for not having the car inspected. Hmmm....11 years? Even someone like that would have either have had his car towed or have been booted. So I'm not buying this story.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum

The only question I have is: what's his FT handle?
If he was on FT, it would have been dollar coins.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
It looks like his car is registered in NJ. I think they have a less frequent (but still <16 years) inspection schedule. He might even be exempt if he (improbably) has a diesel engine.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jazzop
It looks like his car is registered in NJ. I think they have a less frequent (but still <16 years) inspection schedule. He might even be exempt if he (improbably) has a diesel engine.
Every 2 years in NJ. Ok, so he won't get ticketed for that in NYC. But even he'll need to gas up when he moves the car twice/week for a/s.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The guy has to leave to get gasoline at least once every few months, so what does he do with the space?
Not necessarily. Maybe you've never seen one of these (it's a relatively new invention):

Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
Not necessarily. Maybe you've never seen one of these (it's a relatively new invention):

Oh so often you see people walking to 68th St (E or W) carrying gasoline. Or does he take a bus, subway or taxi?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Sometimes you gotta roll your eyes when you hear about the stuff New Yorkers do.....
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Geez, for $1000+ a month he keeps his inventory in that car and that's the reason he does this??

If he has to haul books in and out of his parked car every day to his table on the street, why not drive the books back and forth in his other car, which brings him to/from work?

I'm a part-time bookdealer and this guy sounds like a real whackadoo compared some to some of the bizarre people I know in the business.

By the way, I remember reading once that bookdealers can set up free on the streets of NYC by municipal ordinance, whereas virtually all other businesses cannot, for First-Amendment-related reasons.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
By the way, I remember reading once that bookdealers can set up free on the streets of NYC by municipal ordinance, whereas virtually all other businesses cannot, for First-Amendment-related reasons.
Now that is funny. I may try to egg on some people to try it in SFO just to cause a ruckus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.