Wiki Posts
Search

JFK...terminal 8 to terminal 1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None at all
JFK...terminal 8 to terminal 1

Hi, I'm traveling with my two little boys in March and will be arriving at JFK's terminal 8 with American airlines, and then have to find my way to terminal 1 for a JAL flight to Tokyo. I have exactly 2 hours between flights. Do I have to go through security again when I change terminals? About how long does that take, (it will be a weekday around lunch time) ? What is the expert opinion of all you seasoned travelers...can i do it in time?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I can't say how long security will take, but you will have to go through security when you change terminals.

If your bags are not checked through you will collect your bags when you land, then need to make your way to the airtrain and take that to the other terminal (it's free between terminals). You will then need to go through security and get to the gate.

Is two hours enough time? I think it's close. If you need to get boarding passes at JAL or pick up bags and recheck them, I think it's cutting it very close. If you just need to get you and the kids over and clear security without the bags and you are on time, you should be able to make it.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, kd46!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:14 am
Original Poster

thanks! I'm a serious newbie to any kind of serious long distance flying. This trip (with the kids!) to Japan is a whole new experience to me! I'm always open to advice if anyone has any words of wisdom for me.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by kd46
Hi, I'm traveling with my two little boys in March and will be arriving at JFK's terminal 8 with American airlines, and then have to find my way to terminal 1 for a JAL flight to Tokyo. I have exactly 2 hours between flights. Do I have to go through security again when I change terminals? About how long does that take, (it will be a weekday around lunch time) ? What is the expert opinion of all you seasoned travelers...can i do it in time?
If this is all one ticket, AA should be able to check your bags to JAL (One World carrier-at least for now). But be mindful that if your AA flight is late than your bags might not make it even if you do. If you can provide us details we should be able to give more specifics. JFK has some slow and high peak periods.

Make sure you get on the inter terminal Airtran. Depending upon the way the Airtran is running, you may need to go all the way around before you hit Terminal 1 (about 5-7 minutes).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Well lets see...I am arriving in JFK on a Wednesday at 11am on an American Eagle flight from DC. It is all one ticket and I've been told that my bags will be checked through to Tokyo (assuming the plane isn't late). My flight to Tokyo on JL leaves from terminal 1 at 1:05 pm.

Are the Airtrains well marked? I reeeally don't want to end up on the wrong one headed into NYC! I am slightly intimidated by the idea of getting through JFK.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Are the Airtrains well marked? I reeeally don't want to end up on the wrong one headed into NYC! I am slightly intimidated by the idea of getting through JFK.
The signs for the Airtrain are everywhere. Very easy to follow. You'll be walking down a few long corridors, but don't worry, you're on the right path.

When you get up to the Airtrain station, there are 2 tracks. One is for trains going to the subway stations/out of the airport, and one will say "To All Terminals". If you are facing T8, this track will be behind you. Just hop on it and you'll be at T1 in no time. It's really an easy transfer. No reason to worry.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Well even if you did get on the wrong train, which I really doubt you will, just make sure to get on the one marked all terminals, they don't go all the way into the city, you take a five or ten minute ride, and it comes right back to the terminals. But that won't happen.

They are very easy to get to, and transferring with it is easier then many other airport transfers. Without luggage to worry about, you should have no problem at all.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Two hours should be plenty of time. It makes sense, though, to pay attention to weather forecasts, and if bad weather is expected in DC or NYC, consier getting to DCA and trying to get on the earlier flight (which, unfortunately is at 6am); AA will let you standby for free.

When you arrive at JFK, the walk is kinda long, but it's well marked. As noted by many others, simply follow the signs to the AirTrain platform, look for the signs indicating which train goes "to all terminals," and stay on that train to Terminal 1. It's very easy.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Off topic, but kd46 your profile says "none at all" under programs. Can I reccomend you join American's AAdvantage frequent flyer program? DCA-NRT via JFK is looking at ~7,000 miles each way. Nice way to start earning.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Off topic, but kd46 your profile says "none at all" under programs. Can I reccomend you join American's AAdvantage frequent flyer program? DCA-NRT via JFK is looking at ~7,000 miles each way. Nice way to start earning.
I agree and also to check out the AA forum thread on the Gold and Platinum Challenges.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I think I will. I don't fly that often (truth be told, I detest flying...something about being stuck in a little tube 30,000 feet in the air!) but it would make sense . I'll check out the AA frequent flyer programs. It's a JAL flight though...would I get AA miles?

Thanks also for putting my mind at ease about the timing of my flights. It's good to know, now I can stop obsessing about it!! I will definitely keep an eye on the weather and consider the earlier flight if things look "iffy". If the weather is looking rotten, can I call American and put myself on stand-by the night before or do I just have to wait until the morning of, show up and hope for the best. That's a long time to wait in JFK with two bored little boys!!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Thanks, I think I will. I don't fly that often (truth be told, I detest flying...something about being stuck in a little tube 30,000 feet in the air!) but it would make sense . I'll check out the AA frequent flyer programs. It's a JAL flight though...would I get AA miles?

Thanks also for putting my mind at ease about the timing of my flights. It's good to know, now I can stop obsessing about it!! I will definitely keep an eye on the weather and consider the earlier flight if things look "iffy". If the weather is looking rotten, can I call American and put myself on stand-by the night before or do I just have to wait until the morning of, show up and hope for the best. That's a long time to wait in JFK with two bored little boys!!
This is more of an AA forum question, but 12 hours prior to flight you can call AA and ask for a same day confirmation on an earlier flight for $50 per flyer, assuming space is available. However if you are flying with two children this could be a problem, even with standby, because you would need three empty seats. There are numerous flights from DCA so if the weather looks bad I would call AA at the 12 hour mark and start hunting for a same day confirmation even if it will cost you $150. Also, many telephone agents won't know how to process the transaction because it is part of an International routing (you may need to ask for a supervisor). Better than stuck at JFK overnight on your own dime.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
There are numerous flights from DCA ...
There may be numerous DCA-JFK flights a day, but there's only one prior to the one he already is scheduled on. My suggestion is to check the weather forecast on the day before your scheduled departure. If it looks iffy, post back here then and we can advise you on the likelihood of making the earlier flight on a standby basis and how to go about doing so.

As for the suggestion that you consider an AA challenge, there's no harm in researching what it's all about, but if you avoid flying as much as possible, it likely is not worth the fee involved to do a gold or platinum challenge.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Poster

I'll do that, Thanks

signed up with AAadvantage this morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.