Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK on-airport (Ramada) Hotel to close...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Not sure why anyone would want to stay there, but for your reference...

JFK Airport hotel to close in December

Travelers who get stuck overnight at John F. Kennedy International Airport soon won’t be able to check into the Ramada Plaza, the only hotel located on the airport property.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the 478-room hotel, is closing it on Dec. 1. The agency will put out a request for proposal to redevelop the property, which was built decades ago and needs a big makeover.

The agency took over the hotel in November 2008. It brought in Highgate Holdings to operate it for one year. The Dallas-based hotel investor and operator, controls some 5,000 hotel rooms in the city, including the Park Central and Doubletree Metropolitan hotels.

Westmont Hospitality Group of Houston had operated the hotel previously and was not interested in renewing the lease last year, according to a Port Authority spokeswoman.

Crain's NY Business
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As crappy as the hotel probably was I will miss it.

I grew up in the New York suburbs and got into flying because my family used to take a once a year trip to Hawaii. The whole ride to the airport my excitement would built but when i saw that hotel (which I think was a Travelodge in the early 90's) that's when I knew we had survived the Van Wyck and reached the airport!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.