Wiki Posts
Search

Portland to Providence - 95 or 495?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, American
Portland to Providence - 95 or 495?

I need to drive from Portland to Providence on Friday morning, June 20th.

If I follow Mapquest directions, the vast majority of the trip will be on Interstate 95.

They estimate my 180 mile trip will take about 3 hours 15 minutes.

Considering it's a Friday in June, is this realistic?

I'm not familiar with Boston traffic or road construction, but, as a Chicagoan, I can imagine.

Would I be better off taking 495?

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You will add like 10 miles by taking 495 around Boston

And you could save hours of your time.

I say 495
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by cordelli
You will add like 10 miles by taking 495 around Boston

And you could save hours of your time.

I say 495
It could, but I really think the OP will be alright following 95 all the way. Even on a Friday, there's a window between 11am and 2pm where traffic will flow smoothly. If he leaves Portland in the AM, he'll make that window with ease.

That extra 10 miles doesn't sound like much, but it can take longer than you think. I'd personally just do 95.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:59 pm

With all respect to cordelli, there is no way that I'd take 495.

If you follow 95, you will not actually go through Boston. Instead, you'll be following the road that Mass people know as Route 128 -- it's a 6- and 8-lane beltway on which traffic flows smoothly except at rush hours (7-9, 3.30-6) or unusual conditions (accident, construction).

Rt 495, the Great Circle Route, is 10 or 12 miles longer, and the traffic density will be as great or greater than 95 in June. 495 is the primary route for those from Conn/NY/and beyond to get to NH and Maine, and it also has a far higher % of trucks than 95/128.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, American
Are any of you aware of any major road construciton on either 95 or 495?

Also, seeing that I'll be heading south (and NY/Maine traffic will be going north) does that change wideman's opinion?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by johnmcq
Are any of you aware of any major road construciton on either 95 or 495?

Also, seeing that I'll be heading south (and NY/Maine traffic will be going north) does that change wideman's opinion?
Just got to this thread - there is construction on 495 southbound (the direction you'll be traveling) from about exit 23 to about exit 15 (I forget exactly; those may be off a bit) - not the whole distance, but two or three stretches. I-95 is the better choice that time of day even without construction. With it, even though two of the three lanes are open except for late-night work, it's a no-brainer.

Besides, while 495 southbound won't have Maine traffic, it will have Cape Cod traffic. Weekly renters generally want to get there on Saturday morning, but Friday afternoon is prime time for those who own second homes, or have boats, or are going for a weekend at a hotel, or ..., or ... Granted, that won't get really bad until after you'd turn off for Providence, but you notice it after the Mass. Pike.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
You can get up-to-the-minute traffic/construction here: http://www.boston.com/traffic/

If your morning travel doesn't correspond to rush hour (8:00 to 9:00 am) I'd even contemplate using Rte 1 and I-93 to cut straight through Boston.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mkleiderman
You can get up-to-the-minute traffic/construction here: http://www.boston.com/traffic/

If your morning travel doesn't correspond to rush hour (8:00 to 9:00 am) I'd even contemplate using Rte 1 and I-93 to cut straight through Boston.
1. Or, if you're in your car: dial 511 from your cell phone and follow the prompts.

2. I wouldn't. I just compared distances using mapping software: because you end up backtracking west on the southern stretch of I-93 to get to I-95, it saves only 0.6 miles. The roads through Boston are slower in terms of speed limits, how fast traffic moves overall and how fast you can actually go without a siren. I've also timed both routes on late-night returns from White Mountain hikes to my previous home south of Boston; going around 128 (I-95) is faster as well as less prone to random tie-ups (though not immune).
Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I'd say the I-95/Rte 128 route would be the best choice, if outside of rush hour. Since you don't actually go into Boston, it is (fairly) quick.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Efrem
there is construction on 495 southbound (the direction you'll be traveling) from about exit 23 to about exit 15 (I forget exactly; those may be off a bit) - not the whole distance, but two or three stretches.
This is good to know. Will this construction be taking place all summer? Also, what exit going southbound is the Mass Pike? I'm just wondering how this would affect those of us driving back to NY.

As for the OP, I'd take 95. 495 is horrible! I dread that 1 hour part of the trip. Also, try to leave Portland in the morning to avoid Friday afternoon traffic in MA.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
This is good to know. Will this construction be taking place all summer? Also, what exit going southbound is the Mass Pike? I'm just wondering how this would affect those of us driving back to NY...
If last year is any indication (they're repaving, two lanes at a time counting the breakdown lane - finish one side, then do the other) it will.

The Pike is I-495 exit 22 (both directions). I don't know how much backup there is north of it these days. If I find out I'll post again. A call to 511 will give you up-to-the-minute info.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:41 pm

I'm a native of Portland, live north of Boston, and commute to work in Providence. I'm quite familiar with that entire stretch of highway.

The worst stretch of traffic during morning rush hour on I-95 is from a couple of miles before the I-93 interchange in Reading to Winter St. in Waltham, but summer traffic on Friday mornings is usually much ligher than the other days and it shouldn't be a problem even during morning rush hour as long as it isn't raining. Once past Winter St. its clear sailing to Providence unless there are work crews doing guardrail work or if they're working on the bridges that day at exit 9 in Foxboro or the I-95/I-495 interchange in Marshfield.

I-495 has its share of traffic problems as well nowadays even without taking the current construction into account so I wouldn't automatically consider it to be a superior option.

3:15 should be enough for you to get from whichever entrance you're going to use to get onto the Maine Turnpike to I-95 in Providence.

You don't say anything about the drive back but I would hope you're not looking to leave in the afternoon to drive back to Portland. Have dinner in Providence and leave sometime after about 7PM or so.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
If last year is any indication (they're repaving, two lanes at a time counting the breakdown lane - finish one side, then do the other) it will.

The Pike is I-495 exit 22 (both directions). I don't know how much backup there is north of it these days. If I find out I'll post again. A call to 511 will give you up-to-the-minute info.
Depends on the time of day. Likes to bunch up somewhat near the I-93 and Rte 3 interchanges and jam up around Westboro when going southbound during rush hours. During afternoon rush hour the entire stretch northbound from about Chelmsford to Lawrence tends to be a complete disaster.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
There's ongoing paving on 495 in and around the 95 interchange (ongoing for like 5 years ) that is really tying thing up in the evening hours. There was a report just two nights ago of 495 S just north of the 95 exit having 7 miles of paving with only one lane open. The traffic was not good in that area for many miles.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tkey75
There's ongoing paving on 495 in and around the 95 interchange (ongoing for like 5 years ) that is really tying thing up in the evening hours. There was a report just two nights ago of 495 S just north of the 95 exit having 7 miles of paving with only one lane open. The traffic was not good in that area for many miles.
Which 495/95 intersection? The one near NH or the other?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.