Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Boston

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Hyatt Regency Boston

We pricelined for a 4* hotel for the MLK weekend and the HRB is what we got. I read trip advisor and found many complaints that the hotel is near "the combat zone" (now I get the reference from the Billy Joel song!) and Chinatown. But is it that important?

Is it convenient to the T? Anyone like this hotel and have any recommendations and/or warnings to offer? Thanks.

We really wanted a 4* hotel for the weekend in Boston.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
This hotel is the formerly the Lafayette Hotel. It sits behind Macy's at downtown crossing and it is a couple of blocks to the "combat zone", which really doesn't exist too much anymore. You are diagonally across the street from the new Ritz Carlton & LA Sports Club, both are on Avery Street. You are approximately 1-2 blocks from the Boston Common and the "T" and it is fairly centrally located for doing touristy things like the Freedom Trail. There are loads of good restaurants in the area and I'm sure others here can fill you in on where to go. You are also very close to the Theater District and half price tickets are available on the day of the show at Bostix in Copley Square. I wouldn't be too worried about walking around, but just be sensible. Don't cut through the Common or Combat Zone at 2:00 a.m.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
It's a fairly safe area, just not attractive at all. It's basically the part of Boston that abuts the financial district and Chinatown, not really in either, just kind of sitting there in the ether. The streets around it are ugly. There are some good restaurants nearby, but the ones in the financial district will be barren during the weekend.

The good news is that two blocks away is the Common, you're close to the T, and if you want to do touristy stuff, you're close to all that.

I've heard the inside of the property is pretty good.

If you haven't been before, definitely head out of the touristy areas and go to the South End for some dinner. It's where all the good restaurants are now.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
It's a completely safe area, even at 2am. The hotel itself is typical Hyatt; it gets the job done, especially at a priceline rate.

The combat zone does not exist at all anymore. There are two strip clubs remaining on one little side street -- several blocks from the Hyatt -- but I'll bet most people, other than those specifically looking for them, don't even notice.

Do a search on chowhound.com using the terms "Boston Chinatown" and you'll come up with lots of great recommendations for cheap eats.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:47 am

The hotel is sort of in nowhere-land, probably the only location in Boston that isn't right at something or other. In addition to the locations mentioned earlier, you're also only abou 3-4 blocks from South Station if you're traveling by train (though you'll need to either be a Boston veteran or have a good map to navigate the route.).

For restaurants, I highly recommend the Penang on Washington St -- excellent Malaysian/SE Asian food in pleasant surroundings. The Ritz is only a block or two away (now that I think about it, the Ritz is also next to nothing), and their ground-floor bar isn't bad at all. I'm not a fan of their restaurant, though.

For subway, the Hyatt is a block from the Downtown Crossing station (Orange and Red lines), and only another couple of blocks to Park St (Green Line) or State (Blue Line).
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wideman
For subway, the Hyatt is a block from the Downtown Crossing station (Orange and Red lines), and only another couple of blocks to Park St (Green Line) or State (Blue Line).
From the front door of the hotel, the Chinatown stop on the Orange Line and the Boylston stop on the Green line probably are closest, but not by much. The Silver Line also is very close, if the OP wants to head into the South End. (Analise, as you know Boston does not have diners on every corner like NYC, but you can take the Silver Line to the corner of Washington Street and Mass Ave., where you'll find Mike's City Diner, which is as good or better than your typical NYC neighborhood diner.) Bottom line is that the Hyatt is very convenient to the T.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
This hotel is so typical a Hyatt that you wake up in the morning and have no idea where you are. I can't fault it, but it is extremely low on local atmosphere.

But having said that, isn't that why many people want to stay at a Hyatt?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:20 am
Original Poster

I'll be going to the Museum of Fine Arts on Friday before we check in (my husband will be travelling with the luggage) so the Orange line should work well regarding getting me to the Hyatt. I'll be heading to the museum directly from BOS and I plan to spend the day. He has business appointments.

Glad to hear about that coffee shop. Yup, I know that Boston isn't loaded with them. During the trip our only committment thus far is the Rangers/Bruins game which will be aired nationally Saturday afternoon. We'll be going out with college friends as well.

I've done many of the "touristy" things like the Freedom Trail and a visit to the State House. I just want to enjoy strolling around the Common and Public Garden, perhaps go to the North End as well as visit South End as many of you have suggested in this and other threads.

Very glad that the T is convenient to the hotel! Thanks.

My Charlie Card is already in my wallet.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:06 pm

FYI, the Rangers stay at the Ritz when they visit Boston.

FYI-2, there's a Green Line stop almost directly across the street from the MFA, a few blocks closer than the Orange Line stop (Ruggles). Caution on that is that it's the Huntington Ave branch of the Green Line, which can be painfully slow, even for a Bostonian (never mind a NYer).

As for Boylston station being closer, Blumie omits the key detail that Boylston's proximity includes a healthy flight of stairs, compared to the luxe escalator of Park St.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
I'll be going to the Museum of Fine Arts on Friday before we check in (my husband will be travelling with the luggage) so the Orange line should work well regarding getting me to the Hyatt. I'll be heading to the museum directly from BOS and I plan to spend the day.
If you haven't been before, I would also recommend you check out the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum, which is close to the MFA. A whole day at the MFA might be a little long. Plus, I like the ISG better than the MFA.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
If you haven't been before, I would also recommend you check out the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum, which is close to the MFA. A whole day at the MFA might be a little long. Plus, I like the ISG better than the MFA.
I was at the Gardner museum a few years ago. What a beautiful place! It's certainly a treasure. Thanks for the reminder about it.

FYI, the Rangers stay at the Ritz when they visit Boston.
Hey, I'll share that tidbit of info with my husband!

FYI-2, there's a Green Line stop almost directly across the street from the MFA, a few blocks closer than the Orange Line stop (Ruggles). Caution on that is that it's the Huntington Ave branch of the Green Line, which can be painfully slow, even for a Bostonian (never mind a NYer).
Is the Orange line that much further away? From what I remember about the green line, I have to make sure I get on the right lettered "tram" or whatever that's called. There might be a wait for that too I am guessing?

As for Boylston station being closer, Blumie omits the key detail that Boylston's proximity includes a healthy flight of stairs, compared to the luxe escalator of Park St.
What about Downtown Crossing? Escalator or long set of stairs? Any preferences regarding which station is best?

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:07 pm

From what I remember about the green line, I have to make sure I get on the right lettered "tram" or whatever that's called. There might be a wait for that too I am guessing?
Correct. The E train goes to Huntington Ave, which is what you want for the MFA.

With respect to the wait, undoubtedly if you want an E train you'll see 3 Cs, 2 Bs, and a D, before your E train arrives. I recommend trying to trick fate and pretend that you want a D train.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Is the Orange line that much further away? From what I remember about the green line, I have to make sure I get on the right lettered "tram" or whatever that's called. There might be a wait for that too I am guessing?
As Sampras said, the E train can be sporadic. As a Northeastern alum, I can attest to watching many B and C trains full of BC and BU students ride by while we working folk waited for that ever elusive E train. The Orange line takes you to Ruggles where you can cut across the NU campus (maybe 10 minute walk) to get to the MFA and on the way, you can stop and admire the statue of Cy Young on the mound at the site of the first modern day World Series http://www.redsoxconnection.com/stories/huntington.html which was held at the Huntington Grounds on what is now the campus of NU.

To get there, walk out of Ruggles Station and head up Forsythe St and take your first right and you will find Cy looking in for the signal between Churchill Hall (bldg 54) and Cabot Gym (bldg 41) On the map, there is a little circle and I used to like to have lunch there. http://www.northeastern.edu/campusmap/map/index.html

It will only take you five minutes, not really worth much time, but knowing your love of baseball, I think you would like it. Then you can go back up Greenleaf and cut through the Kariotis Hall to get to the MFA. If you have time and the weather is nice, in the back of the MFA, you can access the Fens easily although at this time of year it will be rather desolate.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

C'mon, it's no worse than any NYC subway station. (Because I'm compulsive, I know that the 42nd Street statation on the B/D/F/V line has 66 stairs from the platform to the street. I'd be surprised if Boylston has half that! And you ever walk up the stairs at the Lexington Avenue station on the E train? Now that's a set of stairs!)

Is the Orange line that much further away?
The Chinatown station on the Orange line is actually the closest to the Hyatt of all the T stations (note: stairs, not an escalator, but not a lot of stairs). If you're going somewhere on the Green line, however, it's not worth taking the Orange line to connect; you're much better off walking to the Boylston or Park Street stations.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
C'mon, it's no worse than any NYC subway station. (Because I'm compulsive, I know that the 42nd Street station on the B/D/F/V line has 66 stairs from the platform to the street.
You counted those steps?? I have to say that's funny. What made you count the steps at that particular stairwell given ALL the stairwells in the subway system, Blumie?

I'd be surprised if Boylston has half that! And you ever walk up the stairs at the Lexington Avenue station on the E train? Now that's a set of stairs!)
Those escalators are often "being worked on" so yes, I know that climb VERY WELL. That's the stop closest to my neighborhood. I don't mind steps at all as long as they are well trafficked.

The Chinatown station on the Orange line is actually the closest to the Hyatt of all the T stations (note: stairs, not an escalator, but not a lot of stairs). If you're going somewhere on the Green line, however, it's not worth taking the Orange line to connect; you're much better off walking to the Boylston or Park Street stations.
Got it.

And yes, I will visit the Cy Young statue, OB one. I'll also print this thread before I leave next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.