Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from Florida to Maine in the summer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Getting from Florida to Maine in the summer

OK, here's the plan:

Next summer, my husband and I are visiting his parents, in Dexter, Maine. We live in Gainesville, FL (north central FL, about 1.5 hours from Jacksonville).

Husband detests flying (he's 6'4", and we can't afford first class!) so we decided we'd road trip it. I suggested we take a train at least up to Boston, and then rent a car there for the rest.

Suggestions? I've never done a trip like this in the US, but I know I hate driving 12 hours straight (like he seems eager to do!). I would love any positives/negatives on both sides of the argument. Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
They have an auto-train, also. I believe it leaves from Sanford, Florida. I'm not sure the northern-most end, maybe DC? I think it leaves during the afternoon, and you sleep on the train.

But if you don't mind renting a car when you get there, then I would probably take the train as far as possible.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I would suggest taking Amtrak to Boston, and renting a car from there. (True - you could take the Auto Train and have your car with you, but the AT runs fron Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA - south of Washington - and you would still be only 1/2 way there and another 1 day drive ahead of you!)

You would need to change trains in either Washington or NYC (There are no through trains. )

When in Boston, you can take the "T" (subway/transit) directly from South Station to Logan Airport to get a rental car.

While there are Amtrak trains from Boston to Maine, they depart only from North Station, while you would arrive at South Station! (This would require a cross-city transfer.)
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:24 am

Ugh. Dexter is not exactly the most accessible place in Maine -- it's at least a couple of hours beyond Portland. Any combination of train + car is going to be long and expensive.

Have you thought about using JetBlue? They offer seats with significantly more leg room than the regular economy seats on other airlines as long as you select seats in the back half of the plane. I believe they have non-stops from Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando to Boston.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can you take auto-trains beyond the Virginia suburbs of DC? I don't think so. So you would have to start driving in DC. Do you have friends and family between DC and Dexter? If so, try to break up this trip. Start this drive from DC on a Monday. You don't want to be near long weekend traffic.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by wideman
Ugh. Dexter is not exactly the most accessible place in Maine -- it's at least a couple of hours beyond Portland. Any combination of train + car is going to be long and expensive.

Have you thought about using JetBlue? They offer seats with significantly more leg room than the regular economy seats on other airlines as long as you select seats in the back half of the plane. I believe they have non-stops from Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando to Boston.
Doesn't JetBlue fly to Portland? I know you would have to connect @ JFK, but a few hours (or more) drive to Portland from Boston or a few hours connection to fly directly to Portland, ??? Then you could rent a car from there.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, HH Diamond
Fly to boston or portland, then take concord trailways bus to bangor, or vermont transit bus to waterville. then rent a car or get picked up. but if you have to take the bus you might as well rent a car.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Definitely no on the flying options, though they are good suggestions. Though DH won't admit it, he's afraid of flying - and he's a nasty travel companion while doing it. I prefer to avoid that if I can (can't avoid it on overseas travel, so I just grin and bear it )

Which place is better to change trains in, NYC or WDC? I think I've taken an American train once in my life (near Detroit) so I am clueless as to the safety and ease of transfers at stations

We would much rather rent a car than trust our car up there - it's used to flatlands, like Florida. I think it would croak if it saw a Maine Mountain!

We flew up to Maine once for Xmas/New Years a couple years ago, and got picked up at the airport, then drove another hour or so before we got near Dexter. We have no problem driving from Boston - I've never been to that part of New England, and my hubbie used to drive down for weekend drinking binges from college in Univ of Maine
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Which place is better to change trains in, NYC or WDC? I think I've taken an American train once in my life (near Detroit) so I am clueless as to the safety and ease of transfers at stations
When you make your reservation, it will "recommend" your connection point. It all depends on the train's scheduled arrival time. (Example - WAS/Washington arrival is 2 hours before the connection and NYP/New York arrival is 1 1/2 hours before the connection. It may "recommend" WAS.)

Note - between WAS/NYP and Boston, there are many trains. So even if the train from FL is late, within an hour or 2, there will be a departure to Boston!

If you are traveling by 1st class (sleeper) in either direction, you will also have access to the ClubAcela lounges in BOS, NYP and WAS! That makes the transfers easier too. You'll have a more comfortable place to wait.

Also, if you choose Amtrak, don't forget to sign up for the Amtrak Guest Rewards program (to earn points for your trip)! But sign up within 90 days of your travel (to earn the sign up bonus points)!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Which place is better to change trains in, NYC or WDC?
If your destination is Boston, you'll definitely want to transfer in WDC to an Acela train. It will make the travel to Boston much quicker and much more comfortable.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:40 pm

Those long-haul trains can be notoriously late. I would be hesitant about making a reservation on an Acela train at Union Station in Washington if you're coming in from a long haul Amtrak train. Find out from Amtrak if they will guarantee you a seat on the next Acela train if your train from the south arrives too late for the Acela train you reserved from DC to Boston.

In Boston, if you like long drives, rent your car and then go to Dexter. It might take 5-6 hours. If you don't like long drives, take the bus to Bangor and then arrange for a rental car as Dexter isn't that far from Bangor. The bus will meet you at South Station which is where Amtrak arrives from the south.
http://www.concordtrailways.com/bost...s_schedule.htm
Old Apr 2, 2007, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

We've worked out a compromise

Since he is the one who wants to spend time with his family, he is driving up a week earlier. That way he gets his road trip (in his own car), and doesn't have to fly. He is between terms in school, so has time to spare. That gives him more time with Grandma, who is getting on in years.

I will fly up a week later, he will meet me in Boston and we'll drive up to his place. Then, in two weeks, he'll drive back, dropping me off in Boston on the way back for my flight so I can be home in time to go to work the next day.

Airfare runs about $210 from JAX to BOS, so that will work. THanks for all the help and suggestions !!!

Now I just gotta figure out where we should do lunch when I get to Boston...?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Now I just gotta figure out where we should do lunch when I get to Boston...?
I can help with that. What do you like?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Well, how about some seafood? Or will I be asking for trouble by taking my Maine husband to Boston seafood?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Well, how about some seafood? Or will I be asking for trouble by taking my Maine husband to Boston seafood?
You can't go wrong with any of the Legal's locations around the city. Check out:

http://www.legalseafoods.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.