BOS Airport Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2005, 3:18 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
BOS Airport Hotels

I was recently disappointed with a stay at Days Inn Saugus - which is listed as a BOS Airport Hotel. Now this was probably more my fault for not figuring out where Saugus is, but I strongly would not recommend anyone stay there if they are reliant on their shuttle for the timely airport and for city access.

I stayed there because I couldn't get anywhere else (by booking the day before on hotels.com). I know there may have been better options, but I had very limited internet time.

The hotel shuttle runs half hourly and is a 10 seater. If full, then tough luck, you wait and wait and wait. Book the day before for anything to do with the shuttle. If arriving at BOS Airport subway station and expecting to use the shuttle, you MUST ring for it - then expect to wait up to 90 minutes for it to come (if it fills up at the terminals, it won't go to the subway station for a pick up). If arriving at a terminal, RING for it as well - again, expect to wait up to 90 minutes.

There is no alternate to the shuttle if you don't have a car.

The air con in the rooms is so noisy you can't talk over it.

Hotel management is indifferent to these issues.

Next time, I'll get the free shuttle to the subway and make my way into town - even if I pay double at the hotel over what I paid at Days Inn.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:09 pm

If you are on a tight budget, the Hampton Inn, in Revere is a decent hotel within spitting distance to the airport. I think it is about 2 to 5 minutes or so by the shuttle van.

If you have a larger budget, the Hyatt Harborside at Logan Airport is quite nice.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:02 am

The Embassy Suites Hotel at Boston Airport is a short distance from the Airport subway station (walkable, but there's also a shuttle bus if you have lots of luggage). Rates are about $200/night, which are undoubtedly less than the Hilton or Hyatt.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:41 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HRGM
The Embassy Suites Hotel at Boston Airport is a short distance from the Airport subway station (walkable, but there's also a shuttle bus if you have lots of luggage). Rates are about $200/night, which are undoubtedly less than the Hilton or Hyatt.
Ohhhh, that hurts. Days Inn ended up costing about USD $190 on hotels.com after tax etc. It was a booking the day before so I'm sure I paid the max price. Embassy Suites sounds the go if I ever get to BOS again. I repeat - only go for the Day Inn if there is absolutely no other option - or you actually want to stay at that hotel.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:35 am

Not sure what rates are now, but many times I've stayed at the Hampton Inn in Revere (very close to Logan) for $89. It's not fancy, but it is decent.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:02 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
BOS Airport Hotel

og: Several weeks ago I also had to find an airport hotel at BOS at which to stay overnight, which provided a complimentary airport shuttle, during a
DEN-BOS mileage run I was making on United. I ended up staying at a Marriott Courtyard located about seven miles north of the airport, also in the Saugus area.

You mentioned paying $190 for a room at a Days Inn. Not sure if that was
for a weekday or weekend night stay, as weekdays tend to be higher. Regardless, I would never pay $190 to stay at a Days Inn, anywhere! My room at the "airport" Marriott Courtyard cost me right at $80.

My main intent in responding to your post is to alert you to a source of much cheaper hotel rooms, certainly cheaper than those you book on Hotels.com, that you may not be aware of. You do have to first register to book on the site, including inputting credit card info. I booked my room through Priceline.com. But before I bid for a room I first checked Biddingfortravel.com to get an idea of what prices others had paid recently for an BOS airport hotel room, and thus got an idea of how much to bid for a room. You can even make a bid as late as the same day of your stay. The Marriott accepted a $67 bid on Priceline for a room there, or $80 after including the bid fee and the taxes. I noticed more recently that people have been getting a room at the hotels right at the airport (i.e., Hilton) for a $65 bid.

The main drawback with the Marriott is it's distance from the airport, and thus their airport shuttle is only scheduled to run once an hour, except later at night, and they do not take reservations to go back to the airport in the morning. That's risky. I went down to the lobby a half hour prior to scheduled shuttle departure (about 20 minute earlier than I normally would), and ended up being the only passenger!

Send me a private message if you need me to go into more detail about the Priceline or Biddingfortravel websites.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:03 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks ColoBill1 for the tips on hotels. In BOS, my internet time was severely limited from several factors which prevented me from researching a good deal or investigating options as you suggest. I have yet to graduate to carrying a laptop around with me (and indeed glad I don't) so resort to libraries or internet cafes.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:09 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
BOS Airport Hotels

Originally Posted by og
Thanks ColoBill1 for the tips on hotels. In BOS, my internet time was severely limited from several factors which prevented me from researching a good deal or investigating options as you suggest. I have yet to graduate to carrying a laptop around with me (and indeed glad I don't) so resort to libraries or internet cafes.
og: Understand, as I also do not have a laptop computer, so do all internet researching for my trips on my home computer, usually several weeks in advance. Hopefully you'll be able to also use Priceline and Biddingfortravel.com to plan for your next trip, regardless of your destination, as it sounds as if you'll be able to save $$$ over what you are normally paying through a site such as Hotels.com.

Only downside of Priceline is that hotels will usually not provide any stay credit/extra amenities if you stay on a reduced Priceline room rate.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by og
I was recently disappointed with a stay at Days Inn Saugus... There is no alternate to the shuttle if you don't have a car.
They have these things at the airport called taxicabs...

First, Days Inn as a brand is designed to disaappoint. It's a bottom-rung brand. This is not a place you set out for, it's a place you end up (like they say about Denny's). So you should expect the minimum from a Days Inn, including erratic, who-cares shuttle service.

Second, $190 for a Days Inn is outrageous. You can stay at the Logan Hilton, which is on airport property, for less. You got really rogered there.

Priceline could have saved you tons.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:59 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
Second, $190 for a Days Inn is outrageous. You can stay at the Logan Hilton, which is on airport property, for less. You got really rogered there.
Couldn't agree more. BUT - it was the cheapest available hotel with "airport" in its description on hotels.com. Whilst I didn't try priceline etc (I will in the future - and thanks all for the suggestions), I did try the individual sites of the various hotels that I remembered in the vicinity of the airport - all zero availability. Not many options when that happens.

And I did like the remark that Days Inn is not what you seek, but where you end up (and that it's a brand designed to disappoint). At least the pen that I took from the room has not yet leaked in my shirt pocket (but it's not a pen I'm proud to leave lying around).

As for the remark about taxicabs, if you are paying a bloody fortune for a crap hotel, why spend extra on cabs (but then again, what price is stress - maybe a taxi may have been worthwhile - but do you live in hope that the shuttle will turn up, or get that taxi?).

Maybe it's a karma sort of thing - Mrs og and I were given an F class op-up on CX HKG-FCO. That's the best, so it has to be balanced somehow.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I have a trip coming up to BOS this week. I have a return flight on Monday AM and have been looking for a decent hotel near the hotel. When I originally tried to Priceline a 4*, I was rejected several times for the date I needed. I kept rebidding and was still rejected at $160. The average price for the Harborside Hyatt was $250 or so. When checking out the previous prices for accepted bids, I was ranges of $65 to $120+, depending on the dates. I gave it one more try for the date I needed and it was accepted at $100. I think whatever situation kept the prices high are now gone. I have heard good and bad about the Hyatt and I am wondering if I had bid lower I would still be staying there. Good luck on finding a place and definitely check out Priceline for next time.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I have a trip coming up to BOS this week. I have a return flight on Monday AM and have been looking for a decent hotel near the hotel. When I originally tried to Priceline a 4*, I was rejected several times for the date I needed. I kept rebidding and was still rejected at $160. The average price for the Harborside Hyatt was $250 or so. When checking out the previous prices for accepted bids, I was ranges of $65 to $120+, depending on the dates. I gave it one more try for the date I needed and it was accepted at $100. I think whatever situation kept the prices high are now gone. I have heard good and bad about the Hyatt and I am wondering if I had bid lower I would still be staying there. Good luck on finding a place and definitely check out Priceline for next time.
Rejected at $160 and accepted at $100, or did you mean rejected at $60 and accepted at $100?

In any event, at $100 you should have nothing to complain about.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I am sorry if I wasn't clear. I originally tried to Priceline a hotel in the Logan area and I started out at around $65, working my way up to my last bid of $160. I was at a lost to figure out what to do. After I saw the Red Sox were out of the playoffs, I tried again and won with the $100 bid. I am glad I finally got a room, especially at that price (even though I have seen a lot of people win with $65-70.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Ditto the comments above re Priceline and Betterbidding.com (or biddingfortravel.com as necessary) - I think I booked another night's stay in BOS at the airport Hilton for around $68, but would have been happy with any hotel of this grade near the airport. The Hilton's very close in-airport proximity allowed us to sleep in!
If you are in a major city, simply find an Apple store on the main shopping street and do a quick booking on Priceline - you'd need to have your account ready and your c/c's 3digit number ready, but check bids on the sitres above and you have a fair chance to book in well under 10 minutes.
You may also then be tempted to go for a PowerBook or iBook considering every place to stay or get a coffee offers free internet hotspots.
I'm *very* impressed with the Apple stores, and of course the products.

It's all worth it if you can avoid the last-minute walk-in booking at a dilapidated no-star hotel for top dollar!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Ditto the comments above re Priceline and Betterbidding.com (or biddingfortravel.com as necessary) - I think I booked another night's stay in BOS at the airport Hilton for around $68, but would have been happy with any hotel of this grade near the airport. The Hilton's very close in-airport proximity allowed us to sleep in!
If you are in a major city, simply find an Apple store on the main shopping street and do a quick booking on Priceline - you'd need to have your account ready and your c/c's 3digit number ready, but check bids on the sitres above and you have a fair chance to book in well under 10 minutes.
You may also then be tempted to go for a PowerBook or iBook considering every place to stay or get a coffee offers free internet hotspots.
I'm *very* impressed with the Apple stores, and of course the products.

It's all worth it if you can avoid the last-minute walk-in booking at a dilapidated no-star hotel for top dollar!
I think I understand about half of your post, and I believe that you are suggesting that proximity to an Apple retail store is the best way to locate a good hotel on Priceline. If one were to do that in Boston, however, they'd be sorely disappointed by the location. Moreover, as cool as Apple stores may be, in most major cities, including Boston (and Sydney, I might add), there are far better ways for one to spend their time other than hanging around an Apple store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.