Xmas in the North East

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xmas in the North East

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Thanks, having looked at AA the flights take almost as long as the train (most are two or three connections) and are several times the cost. The train would give us a bit of a chance to see the countryside.
Do be aware that outside of the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington that Amtrak doesn't own its track/has to share with freight railroads (and even between Boston and DC it doesn't technically own all of it) so Amtrak trains can be very untimely. It is scenic but I wouldn't use it if you are counting on a very prompt arrival.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by andrewesque
Do be aware that outside of the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington that Amtrak doesn't own its track/has to share with freight railroads (and even between Boston and DC it doesn't technically own all of it) so Amtrak trains can be very untimely. It is scenic but I wouldn't use it if you are counting on a very prompt arrival.
I've taken that train many times, and although it rarely runs on schedule, it's rarely significantly late either. That said, the views are nothing special, although they do improve the farther north you get.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you.

Now I realise this is tantamount to asking 'how long is a piece of string' but looking for recommendations for accomodation near/in Burlington. We are flying into JFK and looking to take the train, I understand it stops in a town near Burlington.

Have looked on Booking.com and Tripadvisor (Booking is who I most frequently turn to as I think their reviews tend to be a little more accurate) and the most highly rated place seems to be a bit like a motel - Green Mountain Suites Hotel, and it does not look too bad in the promotional material so we are not adverse to staying there.

We are looking for a place which will have space, like a separate lounge and bedroom, for 2 adults 1 child, not too fussed about catering options - although realise that xmas day may pose challenges for restaurants - we will rent a car in Vermont to go up to the snow, so mobility should not be a challenge.

Not adverse to spending up to $500 per night for something special.

As before, your collective wisdom is appreciated.
I am not aware of any great accommodations in Burlington. The Hilton, though, is well located -- an easy walk to town -- and has beautiful views of Lake Champlain. You might also consider, and I recommend, spending some time in Stowe, which is worth visiting in its own right and offers better and more spacious accommodations. Take a look at Topnotch and Spruce Peak.

Edited to add: Given the vastly superior accommodations, you might consider using Stowe as your base and taking one or two day trips to Burlington. Burlington is the largest city in Vermont, but still is very nice and has more of a small-town feel, but Stowe will be more snowy and more Christmas-y.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Thank you everyone, we have finally made decisions and booked.

We will fly into JFK and take the train to Vermont - to fly to Burlington from JFK took almost as long and was generally three flights.

We are having a few days in Burlington - at the Hilton, before heading up to Stowe over xmas. We have rented a SUV so hopefully will stay on the road!

We then train back to New York (for some reason we cannot get Business Class on the return leg) for a week over New Year.

Thank you again for all your suggestions.

My 6yo is really looking forward to a white xmas.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Hey - as a Canadian Australian let me help you if you need to drive in snow somehow by accident - you know how when you come up to the intersections in Australia you lot drive up at maximum speed and stop at the last moment - don't do that. Start slowing down 100m before the intersections and you'll be fine. If you slide at all, the brakes will pulsate on their own. Just keep them applied. Watch what other people do on the road - too slow and you'll be a safety hazard, too fast and you'll spin out. Also, I haven't been to Vermont before but they probably don't have roundabouts - so for four way stops whoever gets there first wins, and some people can't make up their minds so wave each other through. Finally, you can turn right on a red light most places, as long as no one is coming the other way.

Have a great trip - pack lots of layers in case it's cold, my Aussie cousins had trouble finding warm enough coats for winter here (Toronto, which is about the same as Vermont, maybe less snow) so they found the layers helped.

Safe journey.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you everyone, we have finally made decisions and booked.

We will fly into JFK and take the train to Vermont - to fly to Burlington from JFK took almost as long and was generally three flights.
Uh, you're doing it wrong.

JetBlue has three flights a day from JFK to BTV. It's a one hour flight. Other airlines fly from EWR or LGA. Perhaps you mistakenly input the wrong Burlington (like, Burlington Iowa)?

The train will take 8 hours minimum and is subject to lengthy delays. You'll also need to shlep from JFK to Penn Station with your baggage to catch the train. And there isn't an Amtrak station in Burlington: it's in Essex Junction, a few miles away - another taxi you'll have to find. Dunno if taxis are waiting for people at a random train station in rural Vermont. There's also only one train a day. I strongly suggest cancelling the train and flying.

Though, if you don't mind wasting a day on the train, I'm sure some of the scenery will be nice. Bring food - Amtrak's meal service leaves something to be desired. And the wifi usually doesn't work.

Originally Posted by atsak
Hey - as a Canadian Australian let me help you if you need to drive in snow somehow by accident - you know how when you come up to the intersections in Australia you lot drive up at maximum speed and stop at the last moment - don't do that. Start slowing down 100m before the intersections and you'll be fine. If you slide at all, the brakes will pulsate on their own. Just keep them applied. Watch what other people do on the road - too slow and you'll be a safety hazard, too fast and you'll spin out. Also, I haven't been to Vermont before but they probably don't have roundabouts - so for four way stops whoever gets there first wins, and some people can't make up their minds so wave each other through. Finally, you can turn right on a red light most places, as long as no one is coming the other way.
And don't go faster than about 25 mph (40kph) if you are driving on snowy, unplowed roads. Probably less than that. And if you come to a four way stop at the same time as someone else and neither of you waves at the other, the person on the right has the right of way. Right on red is permitted in most places in the US (NYC being a notable exception) as long as you come to a complete stop and verify there is no oncoming traffic.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Oct 24, 2016 at 7:03 pm
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Uh, you're doing it wrong.

JetBlue has three flights a day from JFK to BTV. It's a one hour flight. Other airlines fly from EWR or LGA. Perhaps you mistakenly input the wrong Burlington (like, Burlington Iowa)?

The train will take 8 hours minimum and is subject to lengthy delays. You'll also need to shlep from JFK to Penn Station with your baggage to catch the train. And there isn't an Amtrak station in Burlington: it's in Essex Junction, a few miles away - another taxi you'll have to find. Dunno if taxis are waiting for people at a random train station in rural Vermont. There's also only one train a day. I strongly suggest cancelling the train and flying.

Though, if you don't mind wasting a day on the train, I'm sure some of the scenery will be nice. Bring food - Amtrak's meal service leaves something to be desired. And the wifi usually doesn't work.

And don't go faster than about 25 mph (40kph) if you are driving on snowy, unplowed roads. Probably less than that. And if you come to a four way stop at the same time as someone else and neither of you waves at the other, the person on the right has the right of way. Right on red is permitted in most places in the US (NYC being a notable exception) as long as you come to a complete stop and verify there is no oncoming traffic.
Thanks, I only looked at AA as that is who we fly into the US on, I guess I should have thought about other airlines. We arrive late in the evening so are spending one night in NYC before the train anyhow, I have booked a hotel near to the station.

We will have been traveling for over 20 hours when we arrive in NYC so will appreciate not having to do another flight, particularly with a 6yo.

Thanks also for the driving tips, it is going to be a new and unusual experience!

The Hilton Burlington tell me that taxis are available to meet the train and we should have no problem, but perhaps I will book a private service to be sure.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I only looked at AA as that is who we fly into the US on, I guess I should have thought about other airlines. We arrive late in the evening so are spending one night in NYC before the train anyhow, I have booked a hotel near to the station.

We will have been traveling for over 20 hours when we arrive in NYC so will appreciate not having to do another flight, particularly with a 6yo.

Thanks also for the driving tips, it is going to be a new and unusual experience!

The Hilton Burlington tell me that taxis are available to meet the train and we should have no problem, but perhaps I will book a private service to be sure.
You're going to waste a day each way on a run-down train with very limited food and beverage options. The last couple times I took Amtrak, all but one of the bathrooms were also out of order...

Since you're going to be in the city for a night, do yourself a favor and fly to BTV the next morning. Delta has a nonstop from LGA, United from EWR, and JetBlue from JFK.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You're going to waste a day each way on a run-down train with very limited food and beverage options. The last couple times I took Amtrak, all but one of the bathrooms were also out of order...

Since you're going to be in the city for a night, do yourself a favor and fly to BTV the next morning. Delta has a nonstop from LGA, United from EWR, and JetBlue from JFK.
Completely agree. Train service in the US is horrendous. Just fly.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Another vote to fly to BTV. JetBlue is fine from JFK, but you can also fly Delta nonstop out of LGA as others have indicated (plus there is an AA Admirals Club lounge near the Delta gates at LGA, if you have OneWorld/ QANTAS status). You can rent a car for a week at BTV; you may want a SUV.

Amtrak will allow you to refund rail purchases this far in advance with a small penalty. You do not want to spend two full days of vacation on a pokey Amtrak regional train. They're packed with college kids during Christmas. It's not a fun experience like the Superliners out west that have sleepers and observation cars. I don't think there is even a dining car on the Vermonter nor on the Adirondack.

For VRBO, I would recommend looking in South Burlington or Shelburne. Easy to get into town for dinner, etc. The great thing about renting a whole house: you can visit Stowe for as little as one day and leave your stuff in the house.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have taken the train from New York to Vermont a couple of times and it's totally fine (albeit slow).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
When my daughter was six, we stayed at the Green Mountain Inn in Stowe-we loved it and they have a heated outdoor pool (yes even in the winter) which was fun for her. They offer apartments and Townhouses for rent as well. It is right in town, so centrally located and they have a good restaurant with a nice bar as well. And for what its worth, our US Border Patrol is rarely friendly to even its own citizens.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by odie11
And for what its worth, our US Border Patrol is rarely friendly to even its own citizens.
I don't think that's fair; I've had innumerable friendly US CBP officers. That said, like others I have had an unfortunate number of rude ones as well, and certainly a higher percentage of rude ones than I'm accustomed to in, say, the UK. In many other countries (France, for example) I find the agents to be personality-less autonomtons, but still that's preferable to the rudeness of many US agents.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 2:03 am
Original Poster

odie11 that is where we have booked to stay!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Just to come back and follow up...

We caught the Amtrak Vermonter from Penn Station in New York to Essex Junction (for Burlington) in their Business Class. Getting on the train was a nightmare with luggage as there is only an escalator at Penn Station. The train was older but very comfortable, yes it is a long 8 hour trip. Catering was fine, non alcoholic drinks were free in Business and they did not run out of anything. Staff were very cheerful and friendly.

Stayed at Hilton Burlington for a couple of days, an older but clean and comfortable hotel, we had exec access so breakfast was buffet included. Very friendly and helpful staff again. Other food options were OK, but there are some awesome restaurants in Burlington just a short walk away although in the lead up to xmas many were booked out.

Rented an AWD car (Chevy Traverse) and driving in the snow was no problem.

Then up to Stowe and the Green Mountain Inn, very large comfortable room and cheerful staff. Probably the worst food we have ever eaten anywhere in the US, fortunately there are some very good options for not eating at the Inn not too far away.

We decided to fly back to New York although to fly AA took not that much less time than the train.

Anyhow, my daughter got her white xmas and we had new year in New York City and a thoroughly enjoyable time.

Thanks for all the input prior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.