Wiki Posts
Search

June hotel prices in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
June hotel prices in Boston

I have recently started searching for hotels in Boston for early June. The prices are skyrocket high! Is this because of graduation season or is it still way too early to be searching now?

I'm considering to stay farther away from downtown if I can't find a reasonably priced hotel in Boston city proper by May. If I stay near the BOS airport, would it be inconvenient to get to downtown by subway?

I'm looking to spend no more than $175 for a 3* hotel or $150 for a 2* hotel.

Any recommendations?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:54 pm
Suspended

What do you mean by "skyrocket high"? Boston is in the top 3 most expensive cities to visit in the US.

http://ir.tripadvisor.com/releasedet...leaseID=918293
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:52 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by hightide
I'm considering to stay farther away from downtown if I can't find a reasonably priced hotel in Boston city proper by May. If I stay near the BOS airport, would it be inconvenient to get to downtown by subway?
The Silver Line subway/bus is free to board from any of the airport terminals, so if you stay at the Hyatt or Hilton on airport property I think this would be an easy option. That said, finding either of those in your price range might be tough.

My best suggestion is to use either Priceline or Hotwire to get a less expensive room, keeping in mind to only select areas that are either in the downtown or are not far from subway stations.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What do you mean by "skyrocket high"? Boston is in the top 3 most expensive cities to visit in the US.

http://ir.tripadvisor.com/releasedet...leaseID=918293
For example, Holiday Inn Express Boston Garden costs $150/night on a Friday in March and the same room costs $363 on the first Friday of June; hence, I wonder whether it's way too early to book for June (and prices would go down closer to June) or it's the graduation season that drives room prices up.

Originally Posted by lo2e
The Silver Line subway/bus is free to board from any of the airport terminals, so if you stay at the Hyatt or Hilton on airport property I think this would be an easy option. That said, finding either of those in your price range might be tough.

My best suggestion is to use either Priceline or Hotwire to get a less expensive room, keeping in mind to only select areas that are either in the downtown or are not far from subway stations.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Are you familiar with Holiday Inn Express Saugus (Logan Airport)? They mention that they offer complimentary 24 hour shuttle that goes to Boston Logan Airport and the train station. Is it convenient to get to downtown from the aforementioned hotel?

Last edited by hightide; Feb 21, 2016 at 9:40 am
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:16 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That's nowhere near the city, would take you perhaps an hour or more to get to Boston from Saugus. It's not difficult, but it's the opposite of convenient.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Is this because of graduation season ...?
Yes, and as a result your budget might be unrealistic, even on priceline or hotwire. What are your exact dates?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
Yes, and as a result your budget might be unrealistic, even on priceline or hotwire. What are your exact dates?
I've been assured by someone in the music business that Boston is not a big college town.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
That's nowhere near the city, would take you perhaps an hour or more to get to Boston from Saugus. It's not difficult, but it's the opposite of convenient.
Oh, thanks for the heads up. I would probably avoid Saugus then.

Originally Posted by Blumie
Exact dates are June 3-5 (2 nights).
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:35 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I'm not surprised; that's right in the middle of graduation season.

Boston has 50+ colleges in the area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...politan_Boston), and graduations fill up hotels months (if not a year) in advance.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JY1024
I'm not surprised; that's right in the middle of graduation season.

Boston has 50+ colleges in the area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...politan_Boston), and graduations fill up hotels months (if not a year) in advance.
Ah, I see -- well, looks like in this case, it would probably be a wise time to use my IHG points.

Currently considering:

Holiday Inn Boston Bunker Hill Area (30k points) - located within 3 miles of downtown and they provide free shuttle service within 3 miles of the hotel.

Holiday Inn Express Boston at 69 Boston Street (35k points)

Which of the two would you pick?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:55 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Holding my nose I'd take Boston Street as you're closer to the city and quite close to the Andrew MBTA subway stop. The Bunker Hill one is close to Sullivan Square on the Orange Line, but you're further from anything touristy.

Is the HIE Boston/Cambridge not available? That's a bit closer than the other two to town, and is close to the Lechmere stop on the Green Line.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:19 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I'm with OomE on this one, neither is what I'd call a great location but Boston St is slightly better in my opinion.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
I've been assured by someone in the music business that Boston is not a big college town.
Ha!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see one great deal on hotwire for those dates -- a 4* property with a 90% approval rating for $113 -- but it's in the western suburbs (probably in Waltham), so probably only makes sense if you have a car. There's also a 3.5* property with an 85% approval rating for $170, which almost certainly is the Hotel Indigo in Newton. That property is directly adjacent to Riverside Station on the Green Line, which will get you into town in about 45 minutes. If you book directly with the hotel, the cheapest rate for that weekend is $205. I can usually find it on hotwire for around $99.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Holding my nose I'd take Boston Street as you're closer to the city and quite close to the Andrew MBTA subway stop. The Bunker Hill one is close to Sullivan Square on the Orange Line, but you're further from anything touristy.

Is the HIE Boston/Cambridge not available? That's a bit closer than the other two to town, and is close to the Lechmere stop on the Green Line.
Originally Posted by lo2e
I'm with OomE on this one, neither is what I'd call a great location but Boston St is slightly better in my opinion.
Thanks for your input on both hotels.

Both HIE & Suites Boston at Friend St (North End) and Holiday Inn Cambridge are available but they seem overpriced at 40,000 points per night. Also, according to online sources, the HIE on Friend St is a 1 star hotel -- why would a 1 star hotel cost 40,000 points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.