Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about Saturday morning drive to Newport from NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Questions about Saturday morning drive to Newport from NYC

If we leave NYC at 6am this Saturday (let's say 6am at the Bronx side of the Triborough Bridge), what time do you all think we would arrive in Newport assuming a gas station stop in the middle? I assume there will be beach traffic on 95. Google maps predicts 3 hours but that seems to quick on a Saturday morning in August.

Also, Google maps is recommending 95 —>Rt 102 —> Rt 4 —>Rt 1 —> Rt 138. Do you agree?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:47 pm

I'd say about 4 hours for the trip.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
That route seems reasonable to me. You want to take the bridge, as opposed to going all the way up to Providence and back down again; there's only the one bridge, and there aren't many decent roads leading to it.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. That there is only one bridge makes me wonder about the traffic. I hope that it's 4 hours from the Bronx!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Ok...there was absolutely no traffic to Newport. Talk about stunning. It was about a 3 1/4 hours trip.

The traffic problem started in Newport around 6pm...bumper to bumper in all directions until we left the tourist area. Then once we crossed the Verrazano to the mainland, it was bumper to bumper until we got to 138. Last, we hit traffic that just stopped beginning at Mystic. One thing I love about CT is the state's traffic website describing what's going on. So we took Route 1 until it met back with 95 before New London and then no traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.