Wiki Posts
Search

USS Salem Access From Logan Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
USS Salem Access From Logan Airport

I need opinions on whether this is a workable plan for a day trip to see the USS Salem near Logan Airport. Using AA the first flight in from DFW arrives at 10:50 am. The last flight back leaves at 6:10 pm. In the intervening time I would need to get from the gate to the ferry terminal by Logan airport, take the ferry to Quincy, look at the ship for two hours or so, take the ferry back to the ferry terminal by Logan, get from there to the airport, and on the plane. It looks like there is enough time, but I cannot tell how long it takes to get from the airport to the ferry terminal, take the ferry over to Quincy and return.

Also is the weather reasonable enough to do this during November or early December?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Very doable, so long as you're doing it on a weekday. (The ferry does not operate on weekends.)

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...ines/?route=F2
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Yes during the week.

I looked at that schedule, but I still do not understand exactly when they go from the BOS terminal to Quincy and then back. Must be my lack of experience with public transportation, which in my area would be the bed of a pickup truck. As I read it the earliest one I could catch would be the one that leaves the Logan terminal at 12:20 and arrives at the Fore River terminal, which I assume is the USS Salem stop, at 1:20. Coming back is not so clear. The ferry looks to leave the Fore River terminal at 2:50 or 3:45, but there is no Logan arrival column.

How often does the bus go back and forth from BOS to the ferry terminal?

How long will it take to get through security on a weekday afternoon?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Yes during the week.

I looked at that schedule, but I still do not understand exactly when they go from the BOS terminal to Quincy and then back. Must be my lack of experience with public transportation, which in my area would be the bed of a pickup truck. As I read it the earliest one I could catch would be the one that leaves the Logan terminal at 12:20 and arrives at the Fore River terminal, which I assume is the USS Salem stop, at 1:20. Coming back is not so clear. The ferry looks to leave the Fore River terminal at 2:50 or 3:45, but there is no Logan arrival column.

How often does the bus go back and forth from BOS to the ferry terminal?

How long will it take to get through security on a weekday afternoon?
When you arrive, take the escalator down to the baggage claim level and exit the terminal. On the sidewalk, you will see several concrete pillars with blue bands around them for the airport buses. Wait there for the blue and white Route 66 massport bus, which, according to the MassPort website, runs every 15-20 minutes. This will take you to the ferry. Same thing in reverse. The 2:50 and 3:45 ferries will arrive at Logan at 3:20 and 4:15, respectively.

Security shouldn't be too bad, especially if you're entitled to use the priority line. If you have TSA pre-check, expect security to take about 30 seconds.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Are there any plans to fix the pier so that the ship can once again be accessed?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Are there any plans to fix the pier so that the ship can once again be accessed?
By the looks of this she is going to be moved to East Boston and very handy for Logan !
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. That was what i was looking for. But 6 to 12 months? That's a long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.