Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Weekend destinations in Vermont/New Hampshire?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My old roommates and I go on a trip every year. Usually it's to something in wine country, but this year we're thinking New England. What are some good places in Vermont or New Hampshire (or Maine) where we can have good food, do some hiking and other outdoorsy stuff, and generally have fun for a weekend?

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:18 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I'll start - for hiking, you really can't go wrong with the North Conway, New Hampshire area. Tons of options for hiking and outdoor sightseeing, as well as outlet shopping if you're at all into that.

That said, North Conway is not exactly renowned for good food, but there are decent options, depending on what type of food you're into. If it's pizza, I highly recommend the Shannon Door Pub in Jackson. Moat Mountain Brewpub is also terrific.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
+1 for North Conway. Diana's Baths are a fun place for a hike (and a swim, if it's warm).

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tag...s/interesting/

http://www.nhtourguide.com/waterfalls/dianas_baths.htm
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
You didn't indicate what time of year. If for 2012 leaf peeping season, you may run into availability issues.

In any event, the Stowe, VT area would meet most of your needs. And, Burlington itself would work -- although you'd need to drive 45 minutes or so to get to hiking.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are so many options. My favorite is Acadia National Park in Maine. Phenomenal hiking (perfectly marked trails from easy to truly challenging), great cycling, foodie options in Bar Harbor, excellent lobster in Bernard (western part of Mount Desert Island where Bar Harbor and much of Acadia are located), this is where I'd suggest. You can fly to BGR and drive 45 minutes to Bar Harbor.

If you're interest is foliage, you'll find it gorgeous no matter where you choose to spend the weekend. Not sure if other states have websites like this but the State of Maine has a foliage watch website letting you know the current conditions. It updates weekly on Wednesdays once the foliage begins. http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Acadia in Maine is lovely.

Lake Winnipesaukee, especially the town of Wolfeboro is a great spot for boating and enjoying the huge lake.

Stowe, Vermont is a nice ski area close to Burlington and offers good hiking options.

With that being said, Burlington is a funky town (lots of hipsters) with plenty to offer.

Even the North Shore of Massachusetts is lovely for some of the best seafood the US has to offer.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We've settled on Burlington since it's easiest for all of us to get to.

Can anyone recommend country inns/hotels in the vicinity? We're looking for a place to sit out on the veranda with a cocktail, and that has a good restaurant in it or nearby. Think "grand old country estate" type places.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Thanks everyone! We've settled on Burlington since it's easiest for all of us to get to.

Can anyone recommend country inns/hotels in the vicinity? We're looking for a place to sit out on the veranda with a cocktail, and that has a good restaurant in it or nearby. Think "grand old country estate" type places.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Check out the Inn at Shelburne Farms. The restaurant there is very good. Burlington is about 15 minutes to the north. Vergennes, which has a couple of excellent restaurants, is about 20 minutes to the south.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll have a fabulous time. Enjoy!!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Check out the Inn at Shelburne Farms. The restaurant there is very good. Burlington is about 15 minutes to the north. Vergennes, which has a couple of excellent restaurants, is about 20 minutes to the south.
Thanks - that's the hotel I had been zeroing in on. Are there any others in that vein in the area?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Magic Hat and a few other breweries aren't that far for a bite and a few cold ones.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - that's the hotel I had been zeroing in on. Are there any others in that vein in the area?
The Pitcher Inn, about an hour south of Burlington, in picturesque Warren, Vermont, is a fabulous place with an outstanding restaurant (and great breakfasts that only are available to guests of the inn). I would opt for the Pitcher Inn over Shelburne Farms if you don't object to the distance from Burlington. There is great hiking and other activities nearby at Sugarbush Resort. Also, if you go make sure to check out the Vermont Country Store across the street.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Pitcher Inn, about an hour south of Burlington, in picturesque Warren, Vermont, is a fabulous place with an outstanding restaurant (and great breakfasts that only are available to guests of the inn). I would opt for the Pitcher Inn over Shelburne Farms if you don't object to the distance from Burlington. There is great hiking and other activities nearby at Sugarbush Resort. Also, if you go make sure to check out the Vermont Country Store across the street.
The Pitcher Inn looks amazing (about what I'd expect of a Relais & Chateaux place), but is about double the cost of Shelburne (also what I'd expect ).

Thanks all! I've booked the Vineyard Cottage at Shelburne. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Pitcher Inn looks amazing (about what I'd expect of a Relais & Chateaux place), but is about double the cost of Shelburne (also what I'd expect ).

Thanks all! I've booked the Vineyard Cottage at Shelburne. I'll let you know how it goes.
Are you driving from NYC?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are you driving from NYC?
I'm looking at it now...they're all flying in but given my unemployment it looks more cost effective to drive - especially if I rent the car in New Jersey. Another idea is to take Amtrak there and fly back. Amtrak's return schedule won't work for me. On the other hand, it's a 9 hour train ride. Eek!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.