Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS car rental

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

BOS car rental

I moved away from Boston many years ago - before the new tunnel, etc. I need to rent a car next week on Thursday, to return it on Friday. I will be heading to Woods Hole to pick someone up and then we are flying home. Any advice on which rental company to use at the airport? Any to stay away from? Are returns easy to find?

I decided to not take the bus down and back because it will only be about $40 cheaper and I want the flexibility for driving around Falmouth/ Woods Hole.

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
You can save a fair bit by not renting at the airport, since the airport fees and surcharges are exhorbitant. So, for example, you can take the T to the Hertz office in the Back Bay or the Avis office in Government Center. Beyond that, my advice is always to stick with the majors when renting a car. You might be able to save a few bucks by using a discount car rental agency, but I have found that it's never worth it. I'd stick with Hertz/Avis/National/Budget. All operate frequent shuttle service from the terminals, and returns are easy to find.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Agree with Blumie.

Best rates depend on the day and the size car (availability). One day Hertz might be best, next day it's National, next day it's Avis. No one company is across the board better than the others.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Okay. Thanks for the replies.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
The reason I frequently rent from the airport Hertz is because they are open 24 hours - depending on when you plan to return the car, the airport surcharge may save you money over paying for another rental day if you need to return the car after the location closes (resulting in a rental charge for an extra day). The Back Bay Hertz office closes anywhere from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., depending on the day of the week.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by eturowski
The reason I frequently rent from the airport Hertz is because they are open 24 hours - depending on when you plan to return the car, the airport surcharge may save you money over paying for another rental day if you need to return the car after the location closes (resulting in a rental charge for an extra day). The Back Bay Hertz office closes anywhere from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., depending on the day of the week.
I should clarify that when I suggested that the OP consider renting off airport, I meant that for pickup only. Often one can pick up off airport and return at the airport for the same (or sometimes ever for a lower) price than picking up at the airport, and doing so eliminates the exorbitant fees that are charged for on-airport pickup. But as you point out, this only works if one can get to the off-airport location before it closes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.