Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

ideas for food-enjoying itinerary from Portland to Bar Harbor and back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:17 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi all!

Hoping to get your suggestions on lobster places to eat during a trip to Maine next week.

I basically gave in to the lobster hype and booked a flight from NYC area to Portland for me and my parents next week. I think it's going to be the "most expensive cheap lobster" we've eaten, as they say, but we were planning something like this for a while. We visited Acadia 15 years ago, and looking forward to seeing it again.

The rough plan so far is: 3 full days, Tuesday morning - Friday morning, starting from Portland, staying 2 nights in Bar Harbor.
Our only definite activities set so far are:
-- Lobster boat trip from Bar Harbor
-- Walking and scenery in Acadia (incl. Jordan Pond House?)
-- Outlet shopping in Freeport on the way back to Portland for the last night.

Do you all have suggestions for where to eat for meals on the way up and back, and around Bar Harbor, to feel like we got the most out of our lobster vacation?

I was thinking of going through Wiscasset either on way up or back, but would you advise that it's worth the trouble of Hwy 1?

Thanks all!

By the way, I cannot believe how expensive hotels in Portland are. This is like NYC level prices...

Last edited by TA; Jul 29, 2012 at 8:31 am
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:56 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
If you don't go to Red's Eats in Wiscasset and fight the traffic and the lines you will regret it. Not just that day or that day and the next day, but for the rest of your life.

It's that good.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
If you are going to be in Freeport, I would say you probably want to hit Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Company (not to be confused with the Harraseeket Inn/Pub). You can read reviews on tripadvisor/yelp.
http://www.harraseeketlunchandlobster.com/index.html

This is probably more authentic/rustic (and is on the water) than anything you find in downtown Freeport such as the Lobster Cooker or Linda Bean's new restaurant. You can browse the menus and decide.
http://lindabeansmainelobster.com/Restaurants

If you're going to take a detour to Boothbay Harbor, then maybe the Lobster Dock:
http://www.thelobsterdock.com/

I just do not get any farther north than Boothbay in the summer, so I can not recommend anything more than that.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by TA
By the way, I cannot believe how expensive hotels in Portland are. This is like NYC level prices...
I find that very hard to believe.

I don't recall exactly where I saw this -- probably while driving between Portland and Naples, Maine -- but last week I saw signs for a $19.99 triple lobster special, and a $7.25 lobster roll!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by TA
Yes, hotels are expensive, it is prime season (and prime season is short). Food should be cheaper as Blumie noted.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:24 pm

This is nothing to do with lobster, but while you're in Portland, pick up some bread at Standard Bakery. I can vouch for their rustic French baguette, marinated olive bread, and raisin bread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.