Search

Hyannis or Provincetown and ferry questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Hyannis or Provincetown and ferry questions

If you don't have a car and you're using Boston as a base, where would you rather go? I overslept today so I can't really go to either places. I really want to go to Provincetown, but the ferry is so damn expensive. The cheap ferry ($46 roundtrip) runs only on Saturday and I get about 3 hours over there before the last ferry heads back to Boston. The fast ferry is over $80 for a return trip. Is there anything cheaper to go over to Provincetown?

If you were to pick one of the towns, which one would you go to? I know I need to have a car to take full advantage of Cape Code, but I don't. So if you were to rely on public transportation and the buses, which place would you go to and how would your 1 day itinerary be like?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Check out the bus. It goes to Ptown in about 3.5 hrs for about $50rt. Also stops in Hyannis and other Cape Cod stops.

I haven't taken it so can't comment on the "riding experience."
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:57 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Depends on your tastes. Provincetown has a great Arts scene and interesting shops and people. Hyannis has a mall and a beatup Main Street and (to me) is just another tourist town.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
I agree about the bus, but I would consider getting off at Woods Hole. There is the Oceanagraphic Institute where you can walk around. I think there is an aquarium. A couple of galleries and several restaurants. I know they also have shuttles to a few nearby locations depending on your schedule.
https://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=9321
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:17 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Of the two, I would do Provincetown. The quant shops and artist studios are great... and the views are fantastic.

However, you may want to stay away this week.... it is the most busy week of the year in Provincetown... 'Bear Week'. The crowds are overwhelming and traffic is at a standstill.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:45 pm

I agree with the previous posters, if I had to pick between Hyannis and Provincetown, it would be easy, Provincetown. It may cost more to get there but it would be worth it. Art, food, swimming etc. But perhaps you will have trouble with reservations - it is summer on the Cape!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HUB Flyer
Check out the bus. It goes to Ptown in about 3.5 hrs for about $50rt. Also stops in Hyannis and other Cape Cod stops.

I haven't taken it so can't comment on the "riding experience."
The Peterpan bus to Woods Hole is less than a 2 hour ride. In Woods Hole you can poke around and see most of the town and then you can board the ferry to Vineyard Haven or to Oak Bluffs. Both are interesting and it is possible to walk between the two towns. It would be a very full but interesting day. And if you want to get to the south side beaches, you can board a bus on the Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.