Wiki Posts
Search

New Bedford to PVD airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
New Bedford to PVD airport

Returning from Martha's Vineyard on a summer Sunday, a relative neglected to reserve tix on the Vineyard Fast Ferry back to Quonset RI (with connection to TF Green). But there was space on the Seastreak to New Bedford, so they reserved that...now they have to get from New Bedford to PVD. They have 6 hours to travel the 40 miles, so time shouldn't be an issue. From what I can tell, they have three options:

1) one-way taxi (~$100 quoted)
2) Peter Pan bus ($112 = $28 x 4 for family of four) with connection in Providence
3) one-way car rental from New Bedford airport to PVD (~$40) plus taxi from dock to the airport rental counter.

Are there better options? Flights MVY-PVD or MVY-EWB are of course sold out.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:12 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
As far as I know, there is no commuter rail near New Bedford, otherwise you could connect to the MBTA that goes to TF Green Airport.

I am not sure you need to go to Logan to get a rental car though... might be able to get something in New Bedford....

Obviously, if you want to save money, option #3 is the best... but that means bothering with getting a car... and having to return it and getting gas.

I would probably opt for option #1 to keep confusion to a minimum for them.

Originally Posted by nycflyer
Returning from Martha's Vineyard on a summer Sunday, a relative neglected to reserve tix on the Vineyard Fast Ferry back to Quonset RI (with connection to TF Green). But there was space on the Seastreak to New Bedford, so they reserved that...now they have to get from New Bedford to PVD. They have 6 hours to travel the 40 miles, so time shouldn't be an issue. From what I can tell, they have three options:

1) one-way taxi (~$100 quoted)
2) Peter Pan bus ($112 = $28 x 4 for family of four) with connection in Providence
3) one-way car rental from New Bedford airport to PVD (~$40) plus taxi from dock to the airport rental counter.

Are there better options? Flights MVY-PVD or MVY-EWB are of course sold out.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:23 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Did you get the $100 quote from the company they recommend:

11. If I am flying in from out of state, which airport should I fly into?

We recommend flying to TF Green airport located in Providence, Rhode Island. From Providence, we are approximately 45 minutes. We recommend Town Car Travel for transportation between Providence and our New Bedford Terminal. Reservations are required by Town Car Travel and can be made by calling 508-678-5500.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by wharvey
Did you get the $100 quote from the company they recommend:

We recommend Town Car Travel for transportation between Providence and our New Bedford Terminal.
Town Car wants $170, other local cab companies quote $100 +/- $15.

As far as I know, there is no commuter rail near New Bedford, otherwise you could connect to the MBTA that goes to TF Green Airport.
There is no commuter rail to New Bedford, in any case MBTA doesn't run to TF Green from Providence on weekends, though there are RIPTA buses that do.

I am not sure you need to go to Logan to get a rental car though... might be able to get something in New Bedford....
The one-way car rental would be from New Bedford airport not Logan.

I would probably opt for option #1 to keep confusion to a minimum for them.
^ Yep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.