Reload this Page >

Silver Line is Free from Logan to Downtown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B1
What originally started as a 90-day trial, the MBTA is now still offering FREE Silver Line transit from the airport.

(Note: The Silver Line is free FROM (not to) the airport and does not include the Blue Line.)

When existing on the arrivals level of any terminal, look for the signs for MBTA Silver Line. (In my experience, it tends to be at the far right of each terminal.)

The Silver Line vehicle is a bus - no rails. Look for the curbside stop by the terminal. Other color-designated routes in the MBTA system use rails.

Schedule here: http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...tes/?route=SL1

At the terminal stop - South Station - you can make a free transfer to the Red Line (and then proceed to any other station within the MBTA subway system).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt

BOSTON—Massport will continue offering free rides on Silver Line buses through the end of September.
The collaboration between Massport and the MBTA runs between Logan International Airport and Boston's South Station terminal, a key hub for commuter rail and the MBTA's Red Line.
The agencies began the pilot program on June 6. It was scheduled to end on Sept. 3, but officials said Thursday that it would be extended through the end of the month to collect more data and determine whether the free program has improved service and helped ridership to grow faster than normal.
Massport said preliminary observations show the buses have spent on average about 20 seconds less at each stop at the airport since the free rides began

Last edited by cacic; Jul 23, 2012 at 10:43 am
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:50 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
IIRC, at South Station, the Silver Line is already "past" the faregates, so you should be able to transfer for free to the Red Line, and from there to any other line (Green, Blue, Orange) in the Rapid Transit system, right?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
IIRC, at South Station, the Silver Line is already "past" the faregates, so you should be able to transfer for free to the Red Line, and from there to any other line (Green, Blue, Orange) in the Rapid Transit system, right?
Good point. I guess otherwise, critics would rightfully point out that the largesse was useless unless one was heading to South Station, because you would simply be delaying your point of payment.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Correct, this is a free entrance into the subway system.

What I fail to understand is why they think that saving people $1.70 or $2 is really going to change people's behavior. I would imagine most people already take the T to the airport if it's more convenient for them. For people who live in the suburbs, this doesn't really change anything.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:35 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Dm84
Correct, this is a free entrance into the subway system.

What I fail to understand is why they think that saving people $1.70 or $2 is really going to change people's behavior. I would imagine most people already take the T to the airport if it's more convenient for them. For people who live in the suburbs, this doesn't really change anything.
I think this might encourage some folks who live along the outer edges of the rapid transit lines (Braintree, Somerville, Malden, etc) to take the T when they might otherwise not do so, but you're right, it's not that much of a savings.

What will happen is that even with bigger crowds, the trips should be faster as you avoid the sometimes lengthy delay associated with the boarding/paying process. Now you will be able to get on at either door and get going more quickly

Editted to add:

Had some time to think about this, and now I think this is more for tourists and other travelers arriving into Boston, and not for local residents, as it will encourage visitors to take the T instead of a cab, and will teach them (in theory) how easy it is to take the MBTA.

Cabbies can't be happy about this.

Last edited by Out of my Element; Jun 6, 2012 at 5:59 am
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:04 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I'm also not sure I understand Massport's motivation behind footing the bill for this... The press release says it's to help drop traffic in the garage and curbside, but if they're not getting as much money from parking AND they're paying the MBTA for this service, isn't that going to be a noticeable drop in their revenue?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by lo2e
I'm also not sure I understand Massport's motivation behind footing the bill for this... The press release says it's to help drop traffic in the garage and curbside, but if they're not getting as much money from parking AND they're paying the MBTA for this service, isn't that going to be a noticeable drop in their revenue?
Massport knows that anyone who values their time and doesn't live in an area easily accessible by the T will continue to drive and park, so the whole concept is a gimmick. Massport also has no qualms about jacking the parking rates even higher if parking revenue declines.

What I find particularly ridiculous about this is it doesn't include free rides on the Blue Line, which is probably more convenient for most people leaving the airport.

Edit: My guess is Massport realized Silver Line ridership numbers were a disappointment in general, so they figured this would be the best way to fill the buses up on the return trip to South Station.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club

Edit: My guess is Massport realized Silver Line ridership numbers were a disappointment in general, so they figured this would be the best way to fill the buses up on the return trip to South Station.
Yeah, the busses can be empty, but when they're not, it's not fun at all.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
This combined with what's supposed to be a how-minutes-until-bus-arrives alert system makes me somewhat more likely to use it. I take it to the airport about 30% of the time but usually just want to get home after arrival. This is one small chit in favor of the Silver Line.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So will the Massport wonks raise the taxi fares to pay for the free Silver Line?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by cacic
Massport will pay the fare for passengers leaving Logan Airport on the MBTA’s Silver Line starting Wednesday, a move believed to make Logan the nation’s first major airport to provide free public transportation for travelers heading to a city center. The 90-day pilot program comes as airport officials try to manage record passenger numbers at Logan and encourage continued growth while contending with congested curbsides at terminals and parking garages bursting at the seams.
If it's only Silver Line then the place where you will probably see the most change is on the Blue Line. Still flying into and out of Logan is a pain most of the time and now that it's majority JetBlue. If one of the legacies ramped up PVD, MHR or even BDL that would be great.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

What I find particularly ridiculous about this is it doesn't include free rides on the Blue Line, which is probably more convenient for most people leaving the airport.
I don't know that it's more convenient. Either way you are getting on a shuttle bus to a rapid transit station. The shuttle to the Blue Line station is a shorter trip, but depending on where your final destination is, the Silver Line can be just as fast.

The problem with making the Blue Line free to riders boarding at the airport station is that the Blue Line station is closer to a residential area and the MBTA would risk losing out in tons of cash from daily commuters who use the stop. You could get around this by issuing a free transfer to people getting off the airport shuttle bus, but that seems like a system bound for problems. With the Silver Line, presumably the daily users to/from the airport are airport employees and they probably get monthly passes anyhow, since their commute to the airport is not free.

And let's not forget this is a 90-day trial, so the lost parking revenue isn't going to be that big of a deal.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Still flying into and out of Logan is a pain most of the time ....
I don't understand this statement at all. I find Logan to be one of the most convenient airports in the world. It's not fancy. Interline connections are a pain. But it's easily navigated, a stone's throw from downtown, and getting back and forth is fast and easy (albeit far more expensive than it should be if traveling by taxi). Hard to beat that.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I don't understand this statement at all. I find Logan to be one of the most convenient airports in the world. It's not fancy. Interline connections are a pain. But it's easily navigated, a stone's throw from downtown, and getting back and forth is fast and easy (albeit far more expensive than it should be if traveling by taxi). Hard to beat that.
It's true that it can be difficult for someone trying to drive to Logan from I-93 during rush hour. That being said, it's still much easier than trying to drive to JFK from Manhattan. Logan is also much easier to get to by mass transit than most airports I've been to (assuming you live near the subway).

The only truly inconvenient thing about Logan is if you have a flight that leaves before 6:30 am and you don't have a car, you're generally forced to take a cab, which as you mentioned is expensive.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
This is why the MBTA has a $300 million budget deficit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.