Search

Post Your Favorite Boston Breakfast Eatery Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:14 am
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Thumbs up Post Your Favorite Boston Breakfast Eatery Here

Please post your favorite Boston breakfast eatery here. It would be helpful if you would also include the type of food that is offered and the nearest public transportation connection to getting there. And please, no DUNKIN DONUTS, STARBUCKS, or any other chain!

I'll start....

Cafe L'Aroma on Newbury Street in Back Bay. Typical cafe fare, pastries, sandwiches, coffee/espresso drinks. Very short walk from Arlington or Copley T stations on the Green line.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Originally Posted by lo2e
Please post your favorite Boston breakfast eatery here. It would be helpful if you would also include the type of food that is offered and the nearest public transportation connection to getting there. And please, no DUNKIN DONUTS, STARBUCKS, or any other chain!

I'll start....

Cafe L'Aroma on Newbury Street in Back Bay. Typical cafe fare, pastries, sandwiches, coffee/espresso drinks. Very short walk from Arlington or Copley T stations on the Green line.
Paramount on Charles Street and now in South Boston - walkable from the T, Boston Common, Public Garden, Back Bay and Beacon Hill
Mike's City Diner - Washington Street, South End -
Victoria Diner - Mass Avenue, near South Bay
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How hard it was to find a simple diner that serves breakfast early and inexpensively. We have them ALL OVER THE PLACE in Manhattan. The best we came up with while staying at the Hyatt Regency was Thornton's.

http://www.thorntonsboston.com/

It was a good walk but very much delicious. They must have the corner on the marketplace. The line was out the door; locals said that it was because there was nothing else in the area. Nothing about it was pretentious....pancakes, eggs, oatmeal.

I had the blueberry pancakes and they were FABULOUS!

Glad to see other diners on this thread.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:54 pm

The Friendly Toast in Kendall Square/Cambridge is great, if crowded. A little off the beaten track.

Honestly though, my favorite place is a diner called Sweet Toast right next to the Lechmere station: cheap, greasy, and lots of carbs.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:35 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dagaetch
Honestly though, my favorite place is a diner called Sweet Toast right next to the Lechmere station: cheap, greasy, and lots of carbs.
Do you mean Sweet Touch Cafe on Cambridge St. by any chance? I've walked by it quite often, but have never actually gone in. (I've smelled some pretty yummy stuff baking as I walked by, but never had time to stop as I was always running to the train.)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Analise
How hard it was to find a simple diner that serves breakfast early and inexpensively. We have them ALL OVER THE PLACE in Manhattan. The best we came up with while staying at the Hyatt Regency was Thornton's.

http://www.thorntonsboston.com/

It was a good walk but very much delicious. They must have the corner on the marketplace. The line was out the door; locals said that it was because there was nothing else in the area. Nothing about it was pretentious....pancakes, eggs, oatmeal.

I had the blueberry pancakes and they were FABULOUS!

Glad to see other diners on this thread.
Thornton's is great. I used to live two blocks from there so I enjoyed it often. But...

Zaftigs is my personal fave. Empire eggs. Mmmmm.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
Do you mean Sweet Touch Cafe on Cambridge St. by any chance? I've walked by it quite often, but have never actually gone in. (I've smelled some pretty yummy stuff baking as I walked by, but never had time to stop as I was always running to the train.)
Yep, that's the one. Freudian typo :-) . They make great omelets and pancakes, plus amazing bacon. Potatoes could be better, but it definitely satisfies the need for artery clogging.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by tkey75
Zaftigs is my personal fave. Empire eggs. Mmmmm.
I have the good fortune, or maybe the misfortune, of having this place be right under my GYM, of all things. I've been eating there twice a week lately, and need to stop.

BTW, it's in Brookline, two blocks from the Coolidge Corner stop on the Green Line C branch.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:19 pm

Not sure it's still there. but I loved brekkie at the Brookline Lunch in Cambridge, right by Central Square. It was one of the few bright spots during the dismal year I had the misfortune to endure BOS.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Brookline Lunch was a bit greasy for my taste; and my taste runs greasy.

I like Sound Bites in Medford. Also, Deluxe Town Diner in Watertown but will only rarely endure the wait
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Boston is a lame breakfast town, with lots of the popular places (e.g., Deluxe Town Diner, Friendly Toast) being overrated, IMHO. My favorite options:

Cheap, greasy spoon category: Joseph's Two, on Main St. in Waltham.

High end Sunday brunch: Mistral. Reservations available on opentable.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blumie
Boston is a lame breakfast town...
That's what we've experienced when we stay in a 3* or 4* hotel near Boston Common or the Public Garden. We don't want to eat at the hotel. We'd like a neighborhood diner. Ha!

This thread has given us some ideas.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
For Davis Sq (Somerville):

For a good basic breakfast, then there is Rosebud that we always used to go to.
http://www.rosebuddiner.com/

For something a little fancier (and more expensive) for Sunday brunch there is Gargoyles on the Square:
http://www.gargoylesrestaurant.com/o...daybrunch_.htm

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cacic
Paramount on Charles Street
We really like Paramount; great weekend breakfast place. Just be prepared to wait though.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cacic
Mike's City Diner - Washington Street, South End -
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.