BOS airport to city..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:06 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
BOS airport to city..

To the IC hotel. What's the best option for 2 people that isnt too expensive? What should a cab run? Any options that won't take forever?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:52 pm

Public transit is about 30 minutes, and is $2.00 a person (unless you get a free CharlieCard, which is probably difficult to do at the airport, although you can probably get one at the Airport Blue Line station, in which case the fare is $1.70 per person). Google Maps suggests two options:
  • Silver Line (a bus that runs straight from the airport terminals to South Station), and then a 4 minute walk to the hotel.
  • Airport shuttle bus (free) which connects to the Blue Line (subway), and then a 9 minute walk to the hotel.

I'm not too familiar with taxi rates to downtown Boston, but I'd guess $15-20.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
How does the Charliecard work?

Is this like the London Oyster card? Is it worthwhile getting one for three days in Boston? Is there a minimum spend required and what happens to any surplus cash left over on the card at the end of the trip?

Any background would be appreciated.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
RFID tap card, free if you can find an employee who has
a pocketful, worth it for the freeness, loadable by cash
or credit via machines at every station or cash on the
buses, no minimum spend, residual value stays on the card,
nonrefundable.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:10 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Also, rides are cheaper with the card than with a paper ticket or with cash.

$1.70 vs $2.00 at the present

And you can give the card in addition to your tip to housekeeping (or to a friend) with a note saying there's value still on it.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by kchen
Public transit is about 30 minutes, and is $2.00 a person (unless you get a free CharlieCard, which is probably difficult to do at the airport, although you can probably get one at the Airport Blue Line station, in which case the fare is $1.70 per person). Google Maps suggests two options:
  • Silver Line (a bus that runs straight from the airport terminals to South Station), and then a 4 minute walk to the hotel.
  • Airport shuttle bus (free) which connects to the Blue Line (subway), and then a 9 minute walk to the hotel.

I'm not too familiar with taxi rates to downtown Boston, but I'd guess $15-20.
Cab runs approx. $25 + tip (airport + tunnel fees & tolls = $6.50, so expensive inbound).
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Although it isn't the cheapest option, you can take the water taxi from Boston Logan Airport directly to the dock at the Intercontinental. One-way is $10 and you can order your tickets in advance online. I don't know when you're traveling, but I think the water taxi is great way to see the city from a unique view. Details are here: http://www.citywatertaxi.com/index.html
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Hmm, the water taxi sounds interesting.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Honestly, just take a cab - shouldn't be more than $30, including tip. Only tip 10% for Boston cabs, or a minimum of $2.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Honestly, just take a cab - shouldn't be more than $30, including tip. Only tip 10% for Boston cabs, or a minimum of $2.
Besides the fact that you're a ridiculously low tipper, why should the OP, who is looking for a more affordable option, spend $30 when the trip can be done quite easily for $4?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
When are you traveling to Boston?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cacic
When are you traveling to Boston?
This Friday to Sunday morning
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jahason
Is this like the London Oyster card?
The Charlie Card is like the Oyster card in that you store a value from which your fare is deducted. You also save a little bit ($.30 per ride) compared the the Charlie Ticket. It is unlike the Oyster card in that it does not automatically calculate for you the lowest possible fare, but then again the fare structure of Boston's MBTA is far less complicated than is London Transit.

Bottom line is that you should get one if you can, but it's not the end of the world if you just buy a Charlie Ticket from the vending machine at the airport.

BTW, if you do take the Silver Line bus, I think the Courthouse station may be closer to your hotel than South Station.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
BTW, if you do take the Silver Line bus, I think the Courthouse station may be closer to your hotel than South Station.
Perhaps, but if the OP is unfamiliar with the area its probably easier to exit South Station and proceed north on Atlantic Ave
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Perhaps, but if the OP is unfamiliar with the area its probably easier to exit South Station and proceed north on Atlantic Ave
Hmm, not sure why walking west on Seaport Blvd. would be more difficult than walking north on Atlantic Ave., but in case the OP is traveling without his trusty compass, here are foolproof directions:

After exiting the Silver Line bus at the Courthouse station, take the escalators up to street level. When you get to the street (Seaport Blvd.), look left and look right. In one direction, you will see the tall buildings of Boston's Financial District. In the other direction, you will see low buildings: old warehouses, some converted to low-rise office buildings, old shacks, etc. Walk towards the tall buildings. (If you came directly up the escalators without crossing to the other side of the station, you will turn right on Seaport Blvd. as you exit the station. In any event, just walk toward the tall buildings.) When you get to the first set of lights, turn left on Atlantic Ave., and your hotel will be almost immediately on the left.

[All of that said, looking at a map, it's not clear that the hotel is closer to Courthouse station. But Courthouse station is one stop earlier. That's where I'd get off. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.