Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston: Parking/T/options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Boston: Parking/T/options

Traveling to Andover the week after Easter with wife & 4 kids. 2 purposes, day 1: see Quincy Market area, walk around, day 2: Fenway Park for a 4 pm ame. Trying to see the best way to get around, specifically, is there a good T station to park at and then just take the train (Alewife or Oakgrove maybe?) I don't want the hassle of trying to park either downtown or at Fenway. Just want to plan things out, I am sonewhat familiar with Boston, I know how easy the T is, but never drove to a station and parked. Thanks in advance for any help.....
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:47 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by cdepks
Traveling to Andover the week after Easter with wife & 4 kids. 2 purposes, day 1: see Quincy Market area, walk around, day 2: Fenway Park for a 4 pm ame. Trying to see the best way to get around, specifically, is there a good T station to park at and then just take the train (Alewife or Oakgrove maybe?) I don't want the hassle of trying to park either downtown or at Fenway. Just want to plan things out, I am sonewhat familiar with Boston, I know how easy the T is, but never drove to a station and parked. Thanks in advance for any help.....
There is commuter rail in Andover, brings you in to North Station, and you can easily walk to Quincy Market from there, or take the Green Line to Fenway Park. Otherwise, Oak Grove is the closest Rapid Transit station to Andover with ample parking. Take the Orange Line to North Station and walk to Quincy Market or switch to Green Line (free transfer) to Fenway.

Of course the best way to see the area is to STAY in the area, and save the hour or so it will take you to make the commute each way.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
There is commuter rail in Andover, brings you in to North Station, and you can easily walk to Quincy Market from there, or take the Green Line to Fenway Park. Otherwise, Oak Grove is the closest Rapid Transit station to Andover with ample parking. Take the Orange Line to North Station and walk to Quincy Market or switch to Green Line (free transfer) to Fenway.

Of course the best way to see the area is to STAY in the area, and save the hour or so it will take you to make the commute each way.
Thanks, I thing the Oak Grove option will allow for more frequent trains. I'd love to stay in the city, but with 6 of us it is a little cost prohibitive...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:43 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Thanks, I thing the Oak Grove option will allow for more frequent trains. I'd love to stay in the city, but with 6 of us it is a little cost prohibitive...
Give Priceline a shot before you give up on staying in town. Can't hurt to try!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Give Priceline a shot before you give up on staying in town. Can't hurt to try!
Will do, as a follow-up, since you are obviously familiar with the area: Is parking at Oak Grove (listed at 788 spaces) usually an issue? I see that Wellington (1,316) is only a few minutes further of a drive, would that be a better choice? As I said, wife & 4 kids, so I want ease! Will be parking at whichever station and heading into the city on Thursday, 3-4 pm, Friday 9 am and Saturday around 10 am. Returns each day around 7pm, thanks for any help.....
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:21 am

Will do, as a follow-up, since you are obviously familiar with the area: Is parking at Oak Grove (listed at 788 spaces) usually an issue? I see that Wellington (1,316) is only a few minutes further of a drive, would that be a better choice? As I said, wife & 4 kids, so I want ease! Will be parking at whichever station and heading into the city on Thursday, 3-4 pm, Friday 9 am and Saturday around 10 am. Returns each day around 7pm, thanks for any help.....
Weekend won't be a problem. My knowledge ends there, I've never tried parking at any of the stations listed.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Weekends will not a problem. Thursday and Friday may be hit or miss. You might want to try Alewife based on the data below.

You can used this website to find which stations have parking and rate:
http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/parking/

Scroll to bottom and select the line:
Alewife
Spaces: 2,733
Average Weekday Availability: <5%
Rate: $7.00/day. $8.00/overnight
Standard Parking (617) 695-6356

Oak Grove
Spaces: 788
Average Weekday Availability: <1%
Rate: $5.50
Five Star Parking - 781-528-6660

Wellington
Spaces: 1,316
Average Weekday Availability: <1%
Rate: $5.50
Five Star Parking - 781-528-6660
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
If you really wanted to park somewhere, you can always park in one of the outside neighbourhoods of Boston...i.e. leave your car on the street in Brighton or Allston. They both have regular T service that can get you to Kenmore in 30-45min.

This works if you are staying at a hotel in the city.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
If you really wanted to park somewhere, you can always park in one of the outside neighbourhoods of Boston...i.e. leave your car on the street in Brighton or Allston. They both have regular T service that can get you to Kenmore in 30-45min.

Heck, with 6 people taking the subway, that's $24 per round trip ($20.40 with a Charlie Card). Might be cheaper to drive in and park in a lot!

Depending on what the rental car is costing, might be getting close to worth staying in the city!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Heck, with 6 people taking the subway, that's $24 per round trip ($20.40 with a Charlie Card). Might be cheaper to drive in and park in a lot!

Depending on what the rental car is costing, might be getting close to worth staying in the city!
It is not a rental car, it's my car, and I am more concerned about finding a place to park, not saving the money on parking. And the hotel comparisons are crazy ($108 for a suite in Andover vs. $350+ in Boston) I just assumed parking in the city was nearly inpossible and at Fenway as well, maybe I am wrong?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624

1. Good luck finding parking in Brighton and Allston.
2. Since when does it take 30-45 minutes to get to Kenmore from Brighton and Allston? I would think 5-20 minutes.
3. Why would one do this if staying at a hotel in the city? Do you mean to avoid paying for parking?

Other than that, I'm in complete agreement with you.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:51 pm

It is not a rental car, it's my car, and I am more concerned about finding a place to park, not saving the money on parking. And the hotel comparisons are crazy ($108 for a suite in Andover vs. $350+ in Boston) I just assumed parking in the city was nearly inpossible and at Fenway as well, maybe I am wrong?
There are lots near Fenway, they are, as we say, "wicked expensive". There is parking at Green Line stations (C Line on the "reservation", middle of Beacon Street, D line at stations -- there's a big garage at Brookline Village), but availability is a question. I've always gotten one of the 10 hour meters on Beacon Street (marked with a green sticker on the pole) near Washington Street -- from there it's 15 minutes tops on the train to the ballpark.

Originally Posted by Blumie
1. Good luck finding parking in Brighton and Allston.
2. Since when does it take 30-45 minutes to get to Kenmore from Brighton and Allston? I would think 5-20 minutes.
3. Why would one do this if staying at a hotel in the city? Do you mean to avoid paying for parking?

Other than that, I'm in complete agreement with you.
Lots of onstreet parking in Brighton, near the B or C lines, but make sure you're not in Brookline, where you'll get ticketed if you exceed the 2 hour limit.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:15 am

Wellington station would be a better bet than Oak Grove - especially on Thursday and Friday. The lot at Oak Grove fills up by around 7:30AM. Wellington usually has plenty of parking as well as the garage at Station Landing Garage which is attached to the station by a skywalk and costs $5.00 a day.

http://www.stationlanding.com/garage.swf

http://www.stationlanding.com/Statio...rkingRates.pdf

I would use Wellington or try Priceline for a hotel in town....

Are you staying at the Staybridge Suites??
That is a great place to stay ...

Last edited by robertwcook16; Mar 23, 2012 at 9:29 am
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robertwcook16
Wellington station would be a better bet than Oak Grove - especially on Thursday and Friday. The lot at Oak Grove fills up by around 7:30AM. Wellington usually has plenty of parking as well as the garage at Station Landing Garage which is attached to the station by a skywalk and costs $5.00 a day.

http://www.stationlanding.com/garage.swf

http://www.stationlanding.com/Statio...rkingRates.pdf

I would use Wellington or try Priceline for a hotel in town....

Are you staying at the Staybridge Suites??
That is a great place to stay ...
Thanks...I will probably go with Wellington, even for the cost (6 people) it is easier than driving around with kid's looking for a parking spot. Yes, we are staying at Staybridge Suites, glad to hear it is nice....
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:52 pm

Thanks...I will probably go with Wellington, even for the cost (6 people) it is easier than driving around with kid's looking for a parking spot. Yes, we are staying at Staybridge Suites, glad to hear it is nice....
Wellington is a much easier drive (more direct), right off 93south. The parking garage is nice too and very easy to deal with - I think MBTA parking is above the 5 th floor. There will be signs once you get to the garage. The Staybridge Suites are very nice with kitchens, nice accommodations and a pretty good free breakfast. I stayed there for 2 nights over Christmas and loved it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.