Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Harvard Square -> Logan (7a Saturday departure)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I have a 7a Saturday domestic departure at Logan.
Options:

1) 5:18a Red line departure from Harvard Square, 6:10a Silver line arrival at Logan
--- Is this reliable? MBTA itineraries in the early Sat morning are quite sparse.

2) GoBoston Shuttle
The website may suggest a very early pickup from Harvard Square (even earlier than 5:15a). I wonder when I should have them pick me up?

Anything else?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Eep -- that's a tough one. The T isn't exactly the shining star of reliability -- and a missed connection at South Station at that hour could cause trouble.

The shuttle sounds like the better bet -- though I've never taken it and can't advise on how long it'll take to get to the airport.

Cab would be safest and about $40 -- at that hour it'll take 15-20 minutes at most.

-W
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:29 pm

Here's what I found...

Itinerary 1 - Approx. 43 mins.

Walk For 5 Mins. To Harvard Station - Inbound

Take Red Line
Approx. 5:22 AM Depart from Harvard Station - Inbound
Approx. 5:35 AM Arrive at South Station - Outbound

Sl1 Logan Airport
5:45 AM Depart from So Station Silver Line (outbound)
6:00 AM Arrive at Terminal A

I have only used the T a handful of times but it has always been punctual.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:06 pm

I'd consider catching the first train of the morning as plenty of time if you've already checked in and don't need to check bags. Even if you do, it might still be fine.

I've never heard of the shuttle before, but its suggested times seem to give you more time at the airport than I would want.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A few years ago, when I left on the first Red Line train of the day on weekends going this direction (starting from Central Square), I could reliably make a 7:00 flight. Once or twice I even made it onto a "6:30" flight (boarding closed at 6:20 a.m.)

You will probably not have time to check luggage, and you will feel a little stressed at security.

A cab is a safe bet for early flights out of Logan. From Cambridge it's not too bad -- $33 flat rate (includes toll and tip) from the Le Meridian Hotel near Central Sq. and $40 flat rate from the Harvard Square Hotel. With no traffic it's rated at about a 15 to 20 minute drive; I've had maniac drivers do much better.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
I have only used the T a handful of times but it has always been punctual.
As a side note, The T is FAR from punctual. I've only had the "pleasure" of riding it the last 6 months or so, but the trains frequently (almost daily) stop randomly in the middle of tunnels and/or are delayed arriving into stations for other unknown reasons. As a reference, it vastly pales in comparison to the CTA in Chicago or MTA in NYC.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Saturdays can be busy

The last time I traveled early Saturday morning was March 3rd - admittedly it was the day of the United-Continental computer merge. THe big problem at 5 am was TSA - it took 30 minutes to get clear security at terminal C - TSA was only using two lanes for a boat load of passengers. I would leave lots of extra time because you know what TSA is going to do to slow you down.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
I take the T to the airport from that area frequently. It should take no more then 45 minutes, but allow 1hr to be safe.

What airline are you flying?

If you check-in online and not checking bags you should be fine. If you have elite status you should even be good for checking luggage.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
AA domestic. Gold.

Usually it's pretty good to take the T, but I wonder about so early Sat morning (7a flight). Did you do that at such a time frequently?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by doctor15
I take the T to the airport from that area frequently. It should take no more then 45 minutes, but allow 1hr to be safe.

What airline are you flying?

If you check-in online and not checking bags you should be fine. If you have elite status you should even be good for checking luggage.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I live down the street and will take the T to the airport for afternoon and evening flights. Here, I'd take a cab. Peace of mind is should be worth at least $40.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by mailxiaodan
AA domestic. Gold.

Usually it's pretty good to take the T, but I wonder about so early Sat morning (7a flight). Did you do that at such a time frequently?

Thanks.

Oh, in that case I would say you have plenty of time to take the T. The other week I left central square at 5:45am for a Saturday 7am and was at the airport in plenty of time.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
I've never had an issue with the T, just build in an extra 30 minutes just in case and you'll be fine. I'll take the T for $1.70 unless I am really running late, then I just get a cab. I don't see any reason for taking the shuttle bus.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:38 pm

I was just pointed at a Yelp review for the GO Boston Shuttle, and it appears that they're pretty bad: http://www.yelp.com/biz/go-boston-shuttle-concord

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.