Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS Must dos?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:09 pm

Clams w/out the bellies are just fried rubber bands. You need that wonderful rich funk from the clam's gut. Far worse than fried calamari w/no tentacles.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:05 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Yes. Harpoon is absolutely worth going to. Unlike Sam Adams which is no longer a working brewery and is basically a museum, Harpoon has an enjoyable "German" style beer hall that you can enjoy before the tour. Plus, they give you about 30min in the tasting room to try all their beer on each tour.
cool, thanks. We'll be hitting Harpoon this Friday mid afternoon.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Red Sox parade is a must do!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: SPG
Boston

OK here's the real deal.

Legal/Cheer's/Sam Adams/Doyle's Pub - skip it - it will be you and more tourists.

Filene's basement has been closed many years now.

Breakfast Paramount in Beacon Hill. OR Mul's Diner in Southie.

Walk the Freedom Trail to Charlestown and climb to the top of the Bunker Hill Monument / explore the navy yard. Try a tour of fenway park or a bruins game.

Hit the new beer hall at Harpoon in the Seaport. Take the Silver Line or jump on a Hubway (bicycle sharing system). Forget the hike down to Sam Adams in Roxbury.

Harvard Sq is worth the trip. Take the red line. +1 for charley's kitchen mentioned earlier. If it's not too cold they also have an outdoor patio with heat lamps. Also good is grendel's den. They have appetizer specials during certain hours. Border Cafe is great tex-mex style food (always a wait).

Dinner - ICOB island creek oyster bar is great. Across the street after dinner have a pint at Cornwall's. Get to Giacomos in the North End if you are early and don't mind waiting 20 minutes in line (no reservations).

At night the Black Rose is slightly touristy but good music. Try Mr. Dooley's as an alternative. Take a cab to JJ Foleys on E Berkeley St (there are 2 locations) late night if you want to be the only tourist somewhere.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:36 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Bruins have been sold out the past 4 years plus, so that might not be so easy.

I haven't seen anyone recommend Grendel's Den since, oh, last millennium.

Muls has been taken over by yuppies. There's a better place within 100 yards, but I'm not telling everyone which one my diner is.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
A sell out doesn't mean tix can't be found. They were going for 20 bucks last night on Causeway St. Day after WS win, but still - it's early enough in the season that Bruins fever hasn't gotten the fair weather fans onto the bandwagon. 11/7 vs Florida prices shouldn't be out of control.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Originally Posted by wds17
A sell out doesn't mean tix can't be found. They were going for 20 bucks last night on Causeway St. Day after WS win, but still - it's early enough in the season that Bruins fever hasn't gotten the fair weather fans onto the bandwagon. 11/7 vs Florida prices shouldn't be out of control.
At the point in the season, purchasing Bruins tickets at (or below) face value is easy.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:52 pm

BOS Must do's?

I still kinda like Grendel's.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Easily some of the best clam chowder I've ever had was from the Warren Tavern in Charlestown, some great history to the place as well: www.warrentavern.com/about.htm

After our chowder, we walked a few doors down to Sullivan's Pub for some drinks. Our group had a blast with the locals. Lots of respect between Boston & Chicago.^

BTW, if you are in the Charlestown area, the church where my nephew was married, is beautiful & worth a look inside: http://myndseyephoto.wordpress.com/2...-siena-parish/
(these are not my photos or site, but the photos are much much better than my crappy cell pics)

For an Asian international food court with great food & cheap prices, head to Super 88 Market (1 Brighton Ave, Allston, MA)
Lots of different food stalls serving everything from Korean bi bim bop, Vietnamese banh mi sandwiches, Cantonese roast duck/pork, etc etc. Well worth a stop.
--

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Nov 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
BTW, if you are in the Charlestown area, the church where my nephew was married, is beautiful & worth a look inside: http://myndseyephoto.wordpress.com/2...-siena-parish/
(these are not my photos or site, but the photos are much much better than my crappy cell pics)
--
That's where I go. Hopefully, you had Fr. Ronan.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Mrs Willie & I took a number of our nephews there awhile back, “generous” is a good term as I was very glad we took public transportation out to the brewery with how much beer we were served.
Indeed, public transport is the way to go when touring Sam Adams. I've never seen such generosity — isn't it great?

I’ve had some folks tell me that the Harpoon Brewery is worth a tour www.harpoonbrewery.com Have any been on the tour?
I haven't and I thank you for the recommendation!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Analise
Indeed, public transport is the way to go when touring Sam Adams. I've never seen such generosity — isn't it great?

I haven't and I thank you for the recommendation!
A word to the wise if anyone is trying to do the tour there - they tend to book up very quickly and reservations cant be made in advance so I recommend people go on the early side. You can always reserve spots for later in the day and come back, or can easily pass time in the new beer hall which is a terrific improvement.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:49 am

Things to do:

- Union St. Oyster House (Oldest restaurant in Boston, right next to holocaust monument and faneuil hall)
- Faneuil Hall, and all the surrounding area there. Everything is very easily walk-able.
- Science museum is neat.
- Freedom trail/USS Constitution
- HARPOON! Beer hall has amazing pretzels with dipping sauces + Beer flights. Cant go wrong. also the seaport is such a changing area, one of the fastest in Boston. Lots of great restaurants have opened up down there. Also the world trade center and expo center are down there. Easy to walk and get to. (Cruise port is over at the end)
- Christian science center / prudential. Go see the reflecting pool at the end of Copley, its pretty neat area.
- Walk from the commons up Copley/Newbury st (They run parallel) Really nice area. This is where all major parades and events come through in Boston.
- Fenway area, has plenty of history and cool things to see/do. Tourist bars and restaurants but also some great pubs. Do a fenway tour if they aren't playing.

I know people always want restaurant recommendations, but almost everything is fantastic by just walking around. Some of the best places can be found in any of the main areas. Just pick an area and randomly walk into a place that the menu looks good. Cant go wrong. Some of the best food in the city are at the local pubs on side streets.

Don't go to the first few places in the north end, while they are good honestly getting further into it yields better restaurants and prices. Getting off Hanover St helps to, side streets have some great places. For deserts skip both modern and mike's. Look up Bova's. Its on a side street and easily trumps the others. While not as commercial they have better offerings imo. Also do amazing calzones and subs that you can get and go sit in the park where the highway used to be. Also they are open 24 hours, have had several very late nights there
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:11 pm
Suspended

What would you recommend for a 65 year old to do in Boston?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:17 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What would you recommend for a 65 year old to do in Boston?
Does the 65 year old like History? Sports? Art?

Is the 65 year old good at walking? Able (and willing) to take public transportation (including up/down stairs for the subway)?

How much touring time does the 65 year old have in Boston? Are they alone or with other people?

Any special dining interests or dislikes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.