Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasonable accomm in Boston?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Reasonable accomm in Boston?!

Is there any reasonable accommodation in Boston in September?! $450 a night is not in my budget, but nor do I want to spend $50 for a 6 bed dorm room where they are proud of offering soap in the showers!

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
More details please. Where in Boston do you need to be? The Courtyard in Brookline is usually a decent bet. Right on the T (and if you're able bodied you could walk to Boston from there), in a cute area, and typically less expensive than similar quality hotels in Boston itself.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Is there any reasonable accommodation in Boston in September?! $450 a night is not in my budget, but nor do I want to spend $50 for a 6 bed dorm room where they are proud of offering soap in the showers!

Boston in the summer can be brutal and $450 in the mid-range. Best luck is generally to use Orbitz or one of the third-party sites to find a room and then book it directly through the hotel's website. Hotels which may have had a large group cancel may well have a short-term price break and there is no way of knowing without looking.

Lastly, take a look at every affinity you have (corporate, AAA, AARP, American Beekeepers) and determine whether there is a discount coupon/code you didn't know you have.

PS - Take a look at taxes and fees in Boston. Can add 22-25% to the final tab.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Often1
PS - Take a look at taxes and fees in Boston. Can add 22-25% to the final tab.
Taxes are high, but not nearly that high. More in the 15% range.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief

We always use Priceline when we come to Boston. It's how we can afford it.

Last weekend, we bid $57 and got Doubletree Boston (across from Tufts Medical Center). Amazed we never heard an ambulance as that was a concern. Never stayed there before but the convenience of the orange and green lines worked for us. Plus we were a 5 minute walk to the Boston affiliation of our gym.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:00 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Agreed with Analise, use Priceline to keep it as cheap as possible if you don't care where exactly you're staying. If you want to make sure you have convenient access to the T, stick with the downtown zones (Harborfront, Waterfront, Quincy Market, Copley Square, and Fenway).
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
The Courtyard in Brookline is usually a decent bet. Right on the T (and if you're able bodied you could walk to Boston from there), in a cute area, and typically less expensive than similar quality hotels in Boston itself.
+1. Plus, Coolidge Corner--where that Courtyard is located--has a lot to do just in of itself.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! Think I'll have to give priceline a go as I don't really mind where I go, just don't want to spend a fortune. This flight was booked with an e-credit that was due to expire, so I just picked a city I hadn't been to that wouldn't cost too much out of pocket - silly me, didn't take accommodation into account! Usually I can be happy with a reasonable hostel but the ones there simply aren't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.