Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maine this summer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Maine this summer

Trying to find time off for a trip to Maine -- will probably be in August. Romantic time with the hubby.

Definitely want to see Portland, but open to driving to see other places.

Any must-dos in ME, FlyerTalk powers that be?

Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much time will you spend in Maine? August is their prime tourist season but, of course, who wouldn't want to get away from the heat of the summer? ^

Acadia National Park — spend a few days there. Best hiking around, great cycling, canoeing, sailing, and if you stay on the island, you can leave your car at your hotel/b&b and use the free Island Explorer shuttle funded by LL Bean. Plus the blueberries will be in season so while you hike, you can snack whenever you see a blueberry bush.

When in the Portland area, at night, go to LL Bean in Freeport. Why be there during the day? LL Bean is open 24/7/365. If you want outlet shopping, go to Freeport in the day or early evening.

Drive to Lubec, the southeastern corner of Maine....it's beautiful and remote and then take the bridge to Campobello Island. Only from Maine, can one arrive at Campobello by car. So bring a passport—it's the easiest and quickest passport control. The Harbour Head Light (aka East Quoddy) is outstanding as is the view but you have to time it. If it's high tide, the lighthouse is its own island.

Do a search in this forum as there have been plenty of questions about Maine. Something advised might really interest you. Have fun.

Lodging could fill up soon especially for a trip in August.

Last edited by Analise; Jun 16, 2011 at 5:36 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:50 am
Original Poster

These are great suggestions, Analise -- thank you!

Looking to spend about 7 days front and back.

I have looked through the forum but didn't find much up to date. Saw enough to see that you're something of a resident expert, though...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Some threads that may help

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...-february.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...-maine-nh.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...end-maine.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...e-seafood.html

For a romantic weekend I would find a Bed and Breakfast along the coast (go ahead people shoot me, you don't get hotel points at B and B's, I know ) and use that as your base
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Stay in Portland for 2 nights, eat some great food, get the vibe in the Old Port, go to the beach and maybe take the ferry to Peaks Island or Great Diamond Island.

Then stay a couple of days in midcoast Maine most likely in Boothbay Harbor. You can hit Wiscasset, Phippsburg (has Popham Beach, good local seafood restaurants, hiking into Morse Mountain/Beach), Sebasco Harbor Resort is another place to stay in Phippsburg.

Then drive up coast Rockland/Camden/Belfast and spend couple days there. You an certainly go the full way to Acadia, but it is crazy in August (as are most of the places I guess).

Not sure if you want active pursuits, or to just chill and cruise around while eating lobster, clams and scallops. Rockland has some real good restaurants.

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Prout's Neck in the town of Scarborough is gorgeous, and features Winslow Homer's studio, now owned by the Portland Museum of Art. Contact the PMA for tickets. You can have lunch or dinner at the Black Point Inn on the Neck. On Sunday evenings in the summer, the PNYC, really more of a beach shack than a yacht club, hosts a "sing" which is wonderful.

Best approach to Prout's Neck from Portland IMO is Route 77 from South Portland via Cape Elizabeth. You'll pass the picturesque Spurwink neighborhood and Higgins Beach (also with a charming inn) on your way.

Another favorite spot in Portland is the Cumberland Club, which has extensive reciprocity. It's right across from the PMA and has ample parking, allowing exploration of Portland if you're staying out-of-town. Best restaurants in Portland: (1) Fore Street; (2) Street and Co; Miyake is a fun, small Japanese place.

I only wish the Jetport was easier to fly to from my customers' sites. I'm always crossing terminals at O'Hare this time of year to get there!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by hairpeace
These are great suggestions, Analise -- thank you!

Looking to spend about 7 days front and back.

I have looked through the forum but didn't find much up to date. Saw enough to see that you're something of a resident expert, though...
You're sweet...I WISH I were a resident expert.

There is some great advice here....Prout's Neck is just 15 minutes or south of Portland. Gorgeous. Walk the Cliff's Walk to see the rocky coast that Winslow Homer painted. Now Prout's Neck is filled with private homes with people who don't take kindly to people driving on Black Point Road....the road to Prout's Neck which is Route 207 (the left turn at the end of 77 mentioned upthread). So park at the Black Point Inn which is at the entrance of the Neck and go on the Cliff Walk. I stayed at the Black Point Inn in the late 90s and it was an elegant old-world resort in which breakfast and dinner were included. It now has new ownership so I can't comment on it now.

Higgins Beach was also mentioned I've stayed at the Higgins Beach Inn too but that was over 10 years ago. It was run by a husband and wife and it was lovely....not elegant like the Black Point Inn but still very nice. Higgins Beach is off Route 77.

In the Portland area, you'll want to see the Portland Head Light. There could be MANY people there but who cares. It's GORGEOUS and it's in Fort Williams Park which is Cape Elizabeth local park. Sunrise and just before sunset might have fewer crowds. If the weather is overcast and cloudy, definitely go to Portland Head Light because you'll hear the fog horn and it will be just heavenly there....almost eerie. You'll also have far fewer people.

Think about what you want to do. How many hotels/B&Bs/inns do you want to stay in a 7 day trip? I wouldn't want to move more than twice but that's me.

Acadia National Park is probably most visited in August but that doesn't mean you have to be near the crowds. This national park is ENORMOUS and you can hike, canoe, eat lobster in many locales in which the tourists and cruise ship daytrippers are not all over the place. Most of them congregate around Bar Harbor....Acadia and Mount Desert Island are much more than that. Acadia isn't only on MDI. If you decide to go to Acadia, you might want to stay at a B&B or hotel/inn outside of Bar Harbor. There's Southwest Harbor....there's Northeast Harbor. Food for thought. Acadia is special....

Are you driving to Maine? If so, I've got a recommendation for GREAT clams after you cross into Maine.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
i'm interested in ur clams place as well, can you please share that? Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by allanfan
i'm interested in ur clams place as well, can you please share that? Thanks.
Bob's Clam Hut. Kittery. On Route 1. Best of the best. It's a roadside nirvana in the midst of outlet hell.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I'm by no means an expert, but have been there ~25 times in my 33 years. Many of my relatives are from Downeast.

I'd say Washington County (the easternmost county in the US) is a must see. Some say the real Maine doesn't start until Washington County.

Originally Posted by Analise
...snip snip....

Drive to Lubec, the southeastern corner of Maine....it's beautiful and remote and then take the bridge to Campobello Island. Only from Maine, can one arrive at Campobello by car. So bring a passport—it's the easiest and quickest passport control. The Harbour Head Light (aka East Quoddy) is outstanding as is the view but you have to time it. If it's high tide, the lighthouse is its own island. ...snip...

I just returned from Campobello. My dad lives on the Island ten months out of the year (not for the faint of heart).

If you do go to East Quoddy Light - PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE TIDES!! You can only cross over to the lighthouse by trekking over a several beaches and up/down several rusted metal staircases. Invariably, it seems every year, several tourists don't heed the warnings and are swept to their deaths by the tides.

I'd like to share a few pics:

Frank's - Lubec, ME

Lubec Narrows looking at Campobello Island. The Warf is actually Canada (hence the Maple Leaf) but the rocks are US

looking across Head Harbour Passage toward Casco Bay Island from Wilson's Beach, Campobello Island, NB

looking across Head Harbour Passage toward Casco Bay Island from Wilson's Beach, Campobello Island, NB in the Famous Fundy Fog

looking across Head Harbour Passage toward Casco Bay Island from Wilson's Beach, Campobello Island, NB

Casco Bay Island, NB (not to be confused with Casco Bay in Southern Maine) is a private 40+ acre island with a house. It is for sale. The price has gone down from $5M to $1.4M in the past 5 years (I forget, USD or CAD).

Enjoy your trip Downeast, hairpeace!! ^
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
I'm by no means an expert, but have been there ~25 times in my 33 years. Many of my relatives are from Downeast.
I think you most definitely qualify as an expert. ^

I'd say Washington County (the easternmost county in the US) is a must see. Some say the real Maine doesn't start until Washington County.

I just returned from Campobello. My dad lives on the Island ten months out of the year (not for the faint of heart).

If you do go to East Quoddy Light - PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE TIDES!! You can only cross over to the lighthouse by trekking over a several beaches and up/down several rusted metal staircases. Invariably, it seems every year, several tourists don't heed the warnings and are swept to their deaths by the tides.

I'd like to share a few pics
These pictures are beautiful! Thank you for sharing them. This might make hairpeace's itinerary decision that much harder. When we went to Head Harbour (aka East Quoddy Light) last year, the employee taking our fees was VERY diligent to make sure we knew when the tide would return. What's nice is that you can look online to find out when low tide is. The crossing to get to the lighthouse was just part of the fun. I think those metal staircases were like ladders as we descended down them FACING the rocks. What is it like to live on Campobello Island? Wow. Isn't the nearest pharmacy in Machias?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/12.0.742.100 Safari/534.30)

We are actually planning a trip to Maine currently. We havent been there in a few years. We usually go further north than most of what has been discussed. The furthest north we have stayed is Cutler, a bit south of Lubec. It is a eautiful fishing village. There used to be some nice restaurants in Machias which isnt too far from there. The area just north of Cutler is the most dramatic coastline on the east coast I suspect (it is a state park) but much better viewed from on the water. We were able to arrange a cruise with a captain based in Cutler that did fishing and other maritime work as well as tours. A bit south of there is Jonesport, another fishing village (quite a bit larger than Cutler).

We have stayed numerous times in Corea as well which is north of Bar Harbor. At least when we were last there it was a stunning change in the number of people and cars if you were headed to Bar Harbor and turned left to to north of there. The vast majority of traffic disappeared and it was much less crowded and more quiet.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/12.0.742.100 Safari/534.30)

Sadly, the place we used to stay seems to no longer be in business. Any suggestions for a waterfront bed and breakfast in coastal Maine. Prefer not Bar Harbor and the rest of that island. Looking for someplace pretty nice, not particularly price sensitive. Preferred areas are Blue Hill/Castine or north of Bar Harbor. Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I think you most definitely qualify as an expert. ^

These pictures are beautiful! Thank you for sharing them. This might make hairpeace's itinerary decision that much harder.
Like I say, the real Maine starts at Washington County!

hairpeace, if you don't make it all the way to the Quoddy Loop or Lubec, do take time to explore Great-Orrs-Bailey Islands in Casco Bay (Southern Maine, about 45 miles from Portland). It is about 14 miles from Cook's Corner (a part of Brunswick) to the end of Bailey Island on Rte 24.

Bailey Island has a very nice beach off Robin Hood Road (or whatever it is called this year). Find somewhere to park and trek down there. Do ignore the many "no trespassing" sings. Those are placed by recent yuppies who can only tolerate Maine several weekends out of the year. The multi-generation property owners understand the natural treasure beauty is for all to share. They also understand tourism helps their local economy.

Just google "Cedar Beach" or some variant.

When we went to Head Harbour (aka East Quoddy Light) last year, the employee taking our fees was VERY diligent to make sure we knew when the tide would return. What's nice is that you can look online to find out when low tide is. The crossing to get to the lighthouse was just part of the fun. I think those metal staircases were like ladders as we descended down them FACING the rocks. What is it like to live on Campobello Island? Wow. Isn't the nearest pharmacy in Machias?
Tides? That's what the local paper - Quoddy Tides - published twice monthly - is for! http://QuoddyTides.com/

To address living on Campobello; well, go there for ten plus days between November and March. That'll answer the question! My words really will not do justice!

I can say the "locals" claim it has not been the same since the bridge went up in 1962! (really)

It is truly a remote, quaint fishing village. Many folks decide to retire or own a vacation property on Campobello. Fewer than nine out of ten last beyond one season. Beautiful, new ocean front homes with not spectacular - rather - DEVINE views go for $175k whereas they'd fetch 10x elsewhere in North America.

The place is just remote. Six cars passed me on The Airline (part of the 120 mile drive to Bangor) a few weeks ago.

I think there is an RX in Welshpool (southern town on Campobello) I'll ask Dear ole Dad when I call him tomorrow to wish Happy Father's Day!

I have 100s more photos. Some 100+ years old! Maybe I'll post some more!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

So many fantastic suggestions here -- thank you all!

Additional research is definitely called for...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.