Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do in Providence?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Question Things to do in Providence?

Mrs. cmmichael and I are randomly visiting Providence, RI for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering what to do there: where to eat, what to see, what to shop, to get the full Providence experience, so to speak.

I'm staying at the Westin. Suggestions?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
What to eat: wonderful grilled pizza at Bob & Timmy's.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:23 pm

Drive by Nibbles Woodaway. Then go home.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
suggestions:

I've lived in PVD on and off for the past ten years. The city's been hit hard by the economy in the past few years, but there's still a bunch ot do.

Food options:
  • Brunch/lunch/dinner at CAV in the jewelry district. Cool loft space full of Asian and African art and very interesting cuisine. I went last week and they've got a new chef.
  • Brunch at Nicks on Broadway (which IIRC isn't on Broadway any longer) but is the best brunch in the city.
  • Dinner/raw bar at Mill's Tavern. Interesting upscale menu.
  • Dinner at Chez Pascal, still my favorite local French spot. Excellent food, rational prices and owners always on site.

I'd wander College Hill and Thayer Street for the Brown college vibe.

I'd definitely visit the RISD store - lots of student work for sale.

Wander Federal Hill and its umpteen Italian restaurants. (ask somebody for a recommendation; ask two people and you may end up in a fist fight; there's a lot of loyalty there).

If you're there on the right night, the Brown planetarium is very cool and a steal.

And then, I'd grab a car and head to Newport, where the real sightseeing options are.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
LOVED CAV restaurant!! ^

you might enjoy this as well...it's kind of neat
www.riverwalk.org
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure if it's still there, but the Provincetown Playhouse has been around since it used to premiere play by Eugene O'Neill.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:58 pm

Don't forget Waterfire, which happens every couple of weeks through the summer. That's a great experience. And of course Gillette Stadium is closer to Providence than it is to Boston, for Patriots or Revs games.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmmichael
Mrs. cmmichael and I are randomly visiting Providence, RI for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering what to do there: where to eat, what to see, what to shop, to get the full Providence experience, so to speak.

I'm staying at the Westin. Suggestions?
I would highly recommend the RISD museum and Al Forno for dinner. One of my favorite italian restaurants between BOS and PVD, and it is far from a touristy joint -- the cuisine is terrific and the restaurant itself is beautiful in the summertime. Be sure to get dessert if you go there -- they make (and bake) each dessert by hand as you enjoy your entree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.