Wiki Posts
Search

Travel to Vermont from Boston Logan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Travel to Vermont from Boston Logan

Is there a bookable land transit from Logan to Montpelier or Burlington, VT? I think there might be a bus to Burlington, but I don't know if it's downtown Boston or what.

Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:55 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
There is Greyhound service to both Montpelier and Burlington from South Station in Boston, and there is also Amtrak service to Montpelier and the Burlington area (Essex Junction) from there via a connection in Springfield, Mass.

ETA: Whoops, just re-read your question. So I guess the answer is 'no', that neither city is directly reachable from Logan, you'd have to get to South Station to reach either the bus or rail option.

Last edited by lo2e; Mar 8, 2011 at 12:23 pm
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Okay, thank you. Tough sledding no matter what.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The Greyhound service from Boston to Vermont is a pale shadow of its former self, back in the Vermont Transit heyday. AFAIK there are only four a day, departing Boston at 715a, 1000a, 145p and 1135p. No dinner-hour / evening service. It's a beautiful ride north of Concord, though.

The Amtrak option from Boston to Burlington is ridiculous. It takes nearly nine hours. You can drive it in three and a half.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:51 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by BearX220
The Amtrak option from Boston to Burlington is ridiculous. It takes nearly nine hours. You can drive it in three and a half.
I thought the same thing... the Springfield to Burlington leg of that trip, while probably scenic for a good amount of the way, is 5+ hours.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:33 am

this might help you....

http://www.newenglandtravelplanner.c...t_transit.html
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kukukajoo
It does.

Just looking for alternatives to USAirways and connecting in PHL or wherever. BTV is not an easy place to get to, and when I get there I'm still an hour away from Montpelier. I can fly to BOS or BDL and drive and have about the same transit time. But I'd let someone else drive if possible, and have some wine on the plane.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
BTV is not an easy place to get to, and when I get there I'm still an hour away from Montpelier. I can fly to BOS or BDL and drive and have about the same transit time.
You didn't say what airport you're starting from, but BTV is pretty accessible on US, UA, and JetBlue. It takes about 90 seconds to get out of the airport (versus much longer @ BOS) and the drive to Montpelier takes about 40 minutes, whereas it's a good three-hour flog from BOS, four or so from BDL. I'd say fly to BTV if you can.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
You didn't say what airport you're starting from, but BTV is pretty accessible on US, UA, and JetBlue. It takes about 90 seconds to get out of the airport (versus much longer @ BOS) and the drive to Montpelier takes about 40 minutes, whereas it's a good three-hour flog from BOS, four or so from BDL. I'd say fly to BTV if you can.
I am starting from DFW, so it's a tough trip no matter what. I have to connect in PHL or DCA or LGA or somewhere like that.

I wonder about 4 hours from BDL - Google maps says 3 hours. I travel 6+ hours by air followed by a drive from BTV to Montpelier and get to Montpelier near midnight. I might take an AA non-stop to BDL and get in at 6; drive 3 hours to Montpelier and actually have time to wind down and go to sleep. Thinking this might work in a couple of months when it stops snowing.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:09 am

Greyhound will bring you to Montpelier or Burlington vt from logan.. Depending on your arrival and return dates and times they run a few times a day out of logan.. greyhound dot com will give you there schedule out of boston on the days you need the transport
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ibrick
Greyhound will bring you to Montpelier or Burlington vt from logan.. Depending on your arrival and return dates and times they run a few times a day out of logan.. greyhound dot com will give you there schedule out of boston on the days you need the transport
Greyhound dot com just says 'Boston'. Can't tell which ones depart from Logan.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:49 pm

This post is sort of old but in case someone opens it... There is now a Megabus running between Boston and Burlington.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
What about flying into Manchester? Fares are the same or lower than BOS, much lower that BTV, and it is at least an hour closer to Montpelier than BOS.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
What about flying into Manchester? Fares are the same or lower than BOS, much lower that BTV, and it is at least an hour closer to Montpelier than BOS.
I am no longer working at this client, but the problem with Manchester is that there is no service there, either, from here. So, you'd have to connect and still be a couple of hours away. The only airports with non-stop service from DFW that are within reasonable driving distance of Vermont are Boston, BDL and Montreal.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Got to love Flyertalk, looking to fly from Dallas to Burlington,

United $557
US Airways $365 but arriving late at night.
Jetblue to Boston and then drive 200 miles is looking at the best option.
Pity Jetblue doesn't fly DFW to JFK which can then connect to BTV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.