Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Boston cabs and credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Experiences with Boston cabs and credit cards

Now that taxi drivers are required to accept credit cards in Boston, what have others experienced? I've found the credit card machine almost always works--almost--but the driver often whines and complains. Most recently, I was coming back from the airport, and as soon as I told the driver I wanted to use a credit card, he went off on me. "I don't get the money right away! You'll get the money back--just pay cash! I need to feed my family!" and on and on and on. My reaction was simply too bad, I paid with the credit card. My stuff was in the trunk, and as I got out of the cab, the driver started slowly driving off with my stuff still in the trunk--it seemed pretty clear he was doing this in retribution, and he did stop and open his trunk after I banged on it a couple of times. Yeesh. My other "favorite" part is the cabbies who have programmed default tip options of 20% or 25% on the touch screen. There's no way I'm tipping a cabbie 20% unless he shines my shoes during the ride!

Any other experiences?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I've had the occasional minor grumble, and the default tip thing is a bit of a joke, but nothing like your experience. I've found Boston to be better than most places for paying cabs with a CC (even before the change mentioned).

tb
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
If they added a default tip, I would call the Boston taxi hotline and report them. I take taxis enough that I can tell if I'm being ripped off-my ride rarely fluctuates more than $1 unless there's traffic. I tip well as a general rule unless the taxi driver nearly gets me killed or drives erratically.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Yeah they always grumble and some say it doesn't work (even though clearly the screen is flashing away on the machine in front of you). Same for me - tip starts at 20% and decreases the more they irritate me or protest.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
NYC cabbies complained about having to accept credit cards, but with a fair bit of data now available, it looks like it has contributed to an increase in ridership. (I did a quick NYTimes search but could not come up with the article.)

As to the suggested tip, I'd be surprised if the driver had anything to do with the programming. I suspect it's just the way the program was written. (And, FWIW, I routinely tip 20% by choice, not because of how anything is programmed.)
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:59 pm

It is not uncommon among cabdrivers to be living day-to-day, financially. And a very large number of drivers rent their cabs daily: that means they need to pay the cab owner a fixed amount, in cash, when they go out for their 12-hour shift. So, it's not at all surprising to me that many drivers (1)are not at all crazy about receiving deferred payment, and (2)don't give much thought to the long-term impact/benefit of accepting charge cards.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by wideman
It is not uncommon among cabdrivers to be living day-to-day, financially. And a very large number of drivers rent their cabs daily: that means they need to pay the cab owner a fixed amount, in cash, when they go out for their 12-hour shift. So, it's not at all surprising to me that many drivers (1)are not at all crazy about receiving deferred payment, and (2)don't give much thought to the long-term impact/benefit of accepting charge cards.
Very good points. Look, cab service in Boston sucks. But you still have to feel some compassion for these guys who work ridiculous hours for very little remuneration.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
Very good points. Look, cab service in Boston sucks. But you still have to feel some compassion for these guys who work ridiculous hours for very little remuneration.
I agree-it's a terrible job. and putting up with Boston drivers-ugh!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Now that taxi drivers are required to accept credit cards in Boston, what have others experienced? I've found the credit card machine almost always works--almost--but the driver often whines and complains. Most recently, I was coming back from the airport, and as soon as I told the driver I wanted to use a credit card, he went off on me. "I don't get the money right away! You'll get the money back--just pay cash! I need to feed my family!" and on and on and on. My reaction was simply too bad, I paid with the credit card. My stuff was in the trunk, and as I got out of the cab, the driver started slowly driving off with my stuff still in the trunk--it seemed pretty clear he was doing this in retribution, and he did stop and open his trunk after I banged on it a couple of times. Yeesh. My other "favorite" part is the cabbies who have programmed default tip options of 20% or 25% on the touch screen. There's no way I'm tipping a cabbie 20% unless he shines my shoes during the ride!

Any other experiences?
I think I got the one and only cabbie that likes them as he said it meant some people would actually take a cab in certain situations. He mentioned a guy that needed to get to PVD quickly and was trying to figure out if he should call a friend or take a cab. When he heard that the cab would take credit cards, he decided to take the cab.

He did gripe a bit about the credit card merchant fee (he said it was 5%).
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
<begin rant on Boston cabs>

As others have stated, cabs in the Boston proper (not Cambridge) are required to accept credit cards, and they do work, no matter what the cab driver tells you! I would say on about 80% of my airport runs, the cab driver will say the credit card machine is broken or be very rude and nasty about me using a credit card. Just fight it out and insist on using the card (and leave a tip reflecting their attitude).

One time I was already home, and the cab driver was refusing my credit card. I told him I'm either paying with a credit card or just getting out and not paying. He still insisted the credit card machine was broken, and I should try it and see for myself. Note that this is a trick... they have to put the meter in time off mode, or press some sort of button to allow payment to occur. I responded that I know its not going to work.. because he didn't press the button for me to pay. He pretended he didn't know what I was talking about and we went back and forth for a minute or two until he finally pressed a button and walla!, like magic I was suddenly able to pay with a CC.

I have been using cash recently because I hate getting in these fights, but the whole situation pi$$es me off. I can understand them being mad if I whip out a CC for an $8 ride across town, but these are already overpriced $30+ quick airport runs.

The only thing I hate more then this, is when we cabbies try to rip me off by taking the Ted Williams. I'm usually careful to specify the route and watch what they are doing, but sometimes I'm tired and don't realize where they are taking me until its too late. My current strategy is to use cash if the cab driver is good, and by that I mean simply doesn't berate me or swindle me by taking the Ted Williams. If the cabbie tries to take me through the wrong tunnel and does anything else to let me know he doesn't value my fare, then I use a CC.

</end rant>

Last edited by doctor15; Jan 6, 2010 at 4:40 am Reason: words that don't make sense
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by doctor15
He pretended he didn't know what I was talking about and we went back and forth for a minute or two until he finally pressed a button and viola!, like magic I was suddenly able to pay with a CC.
For some reason this sentence reminded me of the time Yo-Yo Ma left his cello in a cab ...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:12 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
For some reason this sentence reminded me of the time Yo-Yo Ma left his cello in a cab ...
Damn New Yorkers and your fancy instruments!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by doctor15
He pretended he didn't know what I was talking about and we went back and forth for a minute or two until he finally pressed a button and viola!, like magic I was suddenly able to pay with a CC.
Is that a medical term? The reason I ask is that another FT member used to use it the same way. His name was CharlesMD. Perhaps you know him? I believe he went to school in Cambridge.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
alright... easy on my horrible spelling!

I'm relatively new to Cambridge so I definitely do not know CharlesMD. I must have seen it spelled that way somewhere though..
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Another data point. Flew back to BOS last night, got into cab, hit traffic, so it came to over $50. I asked to pay by CC, the driver grumbled, said it wasn't working, but didn't stop me from trying. However, the machine became stuck in 'processing', so I had to abandon and pay by cash.

Was it just a one-off, or had the driver somehow 'unfixed' his credit card reader?

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.