Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

2013 Chevy Captiva Sport LTZ Review/Ride Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

http://www.carrentingreviews.com/201...iva-sport-ltz/

IRAR
22/28

Yeah so I'm not sure what really possessed me to try out the Captiva, but I see so many on the aisle each time that I figured, why not try it out? The LTZ trim isn't terrible...

PROS:

- LTZ trim is well-equipped
- Audio system helps drown out road noises

CONS:

- Rock hard dashboard
- Seats are too hard
- Noisy engine
- Harsh ride

CONCLUSION: GM has assembled the “perfect” rental car. If you’re forced to rent one, try and get the LTZ trim.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Jun 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I was hoping that you'd report on this one so I wouldn't have to find out myself Guess it is as bad as everyone says it is.

Didn't some Captivas used to come with the 3.6L High Feature? Wonder why they took that out Also, Hertz offers 2WD Captivas as FCARs, so if you need a cheap SUV and don't want to pay for an IFAR sometimes you can get lucky (I guess). How did you do on fuel?

-J.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
I was hoping that you'd report on this one so I wouldn't have to find out myself Guess it is as bad as everyone says it is.

Didn't some Captivas used to come with the 3.6L High Feature? Wonder why they took that out Also, Hertz offers 2WD Captivas as FCARs, so if you need a cheap SUV and don't want to pay for an IFAR sometimes you can get lucky (I guess). How did you do on fuel?

-J.
I averaged sub-20 mpg in city driving, not great. I think there used to be a higher output engine, but it was replaced by the Ecotec.

There are tons of Captivas on both the Emerald Aisle/Executive Aisle at National, so you need only book a mid-size class to get it.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Jun 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
For our next rental we should all "take one for the team", and pick a car that has no ride report, because no one wants to ride it, and help fill out the ride report section. Something like the 200, or almost any Chrysler/ Dodge/ Jeep product.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:20 pm

Yeah Dr. Z, take one for the team and rent another 2014 Grand Cherokee limited!! I hear they are even more vanilla than a Captiva!! LOL
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking of renting the 200 or Jeep Liberty; thankfully(?) I decided to try the Captiva instead. Slim pickins on cars which I haven't already driven previously!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:31 pm

Ha! The 200 isn't THAT bad.. At least it has a decent audio system and is pretty much guaranteed to have working Sirius.. I took one on a 1200 mi one way once before I was exec..
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KevinMD
For our next rental we should all "take one for the team", and pick a car that has no ride report, because no one wants to ride it, and help fill out the ride report section. Something like the 200, or almost any Chrysler/ Dodge/ Jeep product.
You first!

I've seen a few Captivas in the fleet, but putting FWD crossovers into New Hampshire in winter didn't make a lot of sense to me. Florida - fine.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:29 am
Original Poster

I'm just hoping the 2014 Jeep Cherokee gets here soon so I won't have to try the Liberty/Compass.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:02 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok - I just got one this past weekend at CSG. I agree that this is probably the biggest POS rental car I've driven in a longtime. It wasa 2014 LT. Sears were very uncomfortable and the car was horribly underpowered.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by peteropny
Ok - I just got one this past weekend at CSG. I agree that this is probably the biggest POS rental car I've driven in a longtime. It wasa 2014 LT. Sears were very uncomfortable and the car was horribly underpowered.
Agreed, the Captiva is pretty bad - probably the worst car I've rented from National over the last few years. Although that also says a lot about how good the rest of National's fleet is (never driven a patriot or compass). The engine note is especially loud and coarse but yet the car is so slow. Also, the steering was extremely heavy. Almost as heavy as a 3 series.

I only took the Captiva because I had driven everything else that was available on ES.

Last edited by xienon; Oct 14, 2013 at 7:57 pm
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I've been lucky enough to never drive one of these (guessing I am lucky)... I would have been wanting to try one had they kept a V6 in it. I didn't realize they continued manufacturing it in a 2014 model year.

-J.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I've been lucky enough to never drive one of these (guessing I am lucky)... I would have been wanting to try one had they kept a V6 in it. I didn't realize they continued manufacturing it in a 2014 model year.

-J.
Yeah. This past weekend TUL tried to give me a 2014 Craptiva LTZ. Have another midsize SUV for this weekend, so I'm sure it will be around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.