Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

First rental with National today, really sick of Hertz who has been treating this 60+ a year PC like garbage so I thought I'd give someone else a try.

At the Exec aisle there was an ok selection, 3 Chargers looked good, all with Sirius radio and 3,5 6 cylinder, took a black one with about 8K miles.

Good start to a new relationship ^^
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
What's the deal over at the Humphrey terminal? I am flying in tomorrow and am hoping I don't have to have an argument over my full-size car as it's counter only and the location is sold out. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take the light rail over to the other terminal and try the ES.
To answer my own question....

The car rental counters at Terminal 2 are in a narrow aisle inside the first level of the parking garage, as opposed to at baggage claim. Makes sense, except they made the aisle way too narrow for people standing in line. 2-3 completely clueless Alamo customers in front of me, which became annoying because my flight was 75 minutes late and I needed to get into the city for a lunch meeting.

National and Alamo are a shared counter and look to be completely shared cars. There is no Aisle at Terminal 2, if you want the Aisle you have to jump on the light rail and take it over to Terminal 1. But, the agent gave me lots of choices and apologized that there isn't room for a full Aisle "so we just do it by hand on this side."

For my full-size rental, I was offered any brand of full size I wanted or any small SUV like a Kia Sorrento. He apologized that he didn't have any "nicer" cars to give me, and walking into the lot afterward he wasn't lying. Since I had to transport co-workers that evening I took a base red Impala with 8k.

If I had a long-term reservation and wanted to take my chances on an upgrade, I'd probably rent from Terminal 1. But I'm going up there again in a few weeks and will rent from Terminal 2 again.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:03 pm

Late on July 9, 2010:

ES had a few Chargers, Malibus, Impalas, and a Silverado.

EA was mostly HHRs, a few Dodge Nitros, a Beetle, a Sonata that reeked of body odor, and a Sebring Touring.

Ended up taking the Sebring, but exchanged it the next morning because they forgot to clean the interior (cigarette ash on the dash, dirt on the glove compartment, etc.). Ran into the manager -- nice guy named Tim -- in the lot, who let me choose from Executive Selection. Drove out in a beautiful charcoal Charger, ~3000 miles, with Sirius and still retaining that new car smell.

EA looked mostly the same, though I think I saw a Patriot in there as well as a Kia Soul or two. ES had a 300 on Sunday afternoon.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:43 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles
I was at MSP in early August, and I rented from Alamo, but I was able to get my car from the National lot. I picked an SCar from the Executive lot, and there was a nice selection of cars such as Kia Soul, Chevrolet HHR, Ford Fusion, Pontiac G6, and so on. I ended up with a 2010 Ford Fusion SE, and it's quite a nice car. For the mid size I saw some Kia's and Hyundai's, but on my return flight to SAN, I saw a Prius in the SCAR lot.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT (2 MM); Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
October 2010 MSP update...

MSP has begun to add 2011 Ford models. I was there in mid-September and snagged a 2011 Ford Edge Limited with a Sony sound system and Ford Sync touch-screen technology (no navigation). Leather seats, nice ride. This week I saw a (very rare) Ford Taurus Limited in the "mystery" aisle (the one where the kind but slightly dense gentleman greeter always tells you to "go inside to get the keys as you have to pay more for those." Which I did, but was pleasantly surprised that the folks at the counter just gave me the keys. I just love that Taurus!

Anyway, looks like some newer, nicer cars are making their way onto the lot. YMMV, of course.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
2011 model year seems to be dominated by Chrysler family products, Journey, Avenger, Sebrings, Grand Caravan, and Jeeps I did not look to closely at. I chose a nicely equipped Sebring from the regular aisle after being disappointed in the Executive selection, mostly older Impalas.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep now seems to makes up about 80% of the fleet. I managed a very nice Camry on my last rental.

Good news is that the daily airport rental fee dropped by 33%.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN RR, HH, SPG, Natl ES
Availability at MSP late night?

I'm stuck with a late flight in to MSP on a Thurs night and am hoping for either a minivan or SUV (Ford Flex) out of the ES row. Any take on how slim pickings are that late in the night at MSP, or do I luck out with cars coming back in earlier in the evening that are cleaned up and ready for the AM rush?

Additionally, if I can't get what I'm looking for, anyone had success going back the next AM to trade out cars?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:32 am

I was picking someone up at MSP yesterday at around 12:30 in the afternoon and was a little bit early so I decided to walk over to National and see what there was to see. As other have noted here before, the EA was 95% minivans with a couple crossovers and MAYBE one or two sedans. I couldn't get a good look at specific models because I just looked from the building as I didn't want to walk out on the lot and raise suspicion. Just wanted to give an update.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:09 pm

I picked up a car for the weekend from MSP Terminal 1. I picked up at around 11pm and found the EA and ES to be very well stocked. I am only EA, so my choices were between a few sedans, including an Avenger and Fusion. I was looking for something a little bigger, and they had a Ford Escape, Kia SUV, and Mazda CX-7. Since it is MSP, they did have a couple minivans on the aisle. The ES at this location is huge, and had a very wide selection, but I don't remember anything specific.

I ended up taking the CX-7, since it was a little bit more "unique" than my other options. I did have a bit of a run-in with the greeter in the process. I asked him if the small EA area was the only area, he replied by asking if I reserved full-size or intermediate. When I replied that I was Emerald Club and reserved MIDSIZE to choose from the EA, he just repeated himself. Dunno what the deal with him was...

At the return Sunday night, I noticed 3 or 4 large pick-ups on the EA, along with some sedans and small SUVs.

Last edited by Coastercameron; Oct 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm Reason: Forgot part of my story :-(
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, National Emerald Executive, Hertz 5 *, Marriott Platinum
Picked up a Chevy Captiva LTZ AWD on Wednesday afternoon in the ES. Only other SUVs were Ford Escapes, Mazda CX7s and one CX9. EA had Sonatas, Chargers, Dodge Journeys and a brand new Camry which someone quickly snagged. When I returned the car Thursday afternoon EA and ES was full of Impalas and a couple of the Captivas.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:07 pm

I rented a one way out of MSP to Missoula, MT last Monday night. Picked up a Chrysler 200 off the EA with about 8000 miles and working Sirius. The car was pretty nice, but the hard plastic under the radio was in a perfect position to bang my knee constantly while using the cruise control. Another annoyance on this particular car I found was that in 6th gear, the engine was governed at 2500rpm. Cruising at 77-80 MPH pushed right to this rev limit, so the car would constantly downshift and stick in 5th gear even when going up the slightest incline.

Otherwise, another easy hassle-free MSP National rental.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:27 am

I had a request via PM to elaborate on my one way rental to Missoula. I unfortunately had to pay the hefty rack rate of $150/day for mid-size to get unlimited miles, however the entertainment book contract ID took a nice 20% off of that. I was travelling for a family emergency, and although the rental was expensive, it saved my family over $2000 in airfare, so it was still a good value.

Missoula is indeed a franchise location, but I got no grief at either end of the rental. I picked whatever I wanted off the EA, nothing was said at the exit booth, and not a word was said about it being a corporate car once I arrived at Missoula.

I returned the one-way in Missoula as soon as we arrived, and then ended up renting another car from them locally so I wouldn't be paying my astronomical rate any longer. Got a local 2012 Impala LTZ from them. Despite my hatred of Impalas on principle alone, this was a nice car loaded with features.

The franchisee here appears to be the franchisee for all of Montana, as well as (IIRC) the Dakotas, Idaho, and Wyoming. They will let you do one-ways between THEIR locations at fairly reasonable rates no problem.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:37 am

Also wanted to report that I currently have a rental from MSP this weekend for a points run before 1-2-Free expires. Picked up at 8pm last night. Selection on EA/ES was the poorest I've ever seen at this location.

The aisles were fully stocked, but variety was lacking. I didn't look too close, but the ES appeared to be about 70% Impala. On the EA, there were plenty of 200's and Avengers. The only non-sedans on the EA at the time were a base model Nissan Rogue, a Santa Fe, and a Equinox in 2LT trim.

I probably would have taken the rogue, but the heated leather seats and touch screen on the Equinox were calling my name, so I took that. They were parking a minivan on the EA as I left. This location seems to have minivans on the EA more often than not, so keep that in mind if you need one here.

The equinox is the most well equipped vehicle I have ever seen on the EA at MSP. It has a sunroof, and the premium Pioneer sound system with subwoofer. I can ever connect my iPhone via USB and it shows song information and album art on the touchscreen. Also has a rearview camera, which is nice in bigger vehicles. Vehicle class is SFAR.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:41 pm

I have another rental from MSP this weekend to get some last-minute 1-2-free days. The aisle was pretty cleaned out today. The only vehicles for the taking were 2-3 each Avengers and 200's, two minivans, a Jeep Compass, and a Jeep Liberty.

Given that it is snowing, I took the Liberty which only had about 2500 miles. Not impressed at all with this car. The dashboard is so strange, as the windshield is almost directly above the instrument cluster and is nearly vertical. It is BASE BASE BASE. No frills what-so-ever.

I am actually thinking of calling the location to swap it out tonight. Beyond not liking it, after I got into daylight I saw that the carpets are filthy, as are the trim panels under the doors, and the vehicle has an odd odor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.