Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:21 pm

Well besides airport location fees, Minnesota loves taxes. That's a big chunk of it. Unfortunately National doesn't have any local branches in MSP, although Enterprise does.

Using the right coupon can help negate some of the airport fees. I've gotten several nice rentals from MSP on ~$20/day rentals. One was a loaded Taurus Limited, had higher miles (30k) but was in great shape. The other was an almost brand new Volvo S60 with 400 miles on it. Had a $16/day midsize and managed to upgrade for much less than a premium res. would have cost me.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I ended up with a Chrysler 300. I had a line item for a forfeited coupon and I was charged for an extra hour. I emailed them to get things straightened out.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
This morning at MSP all SUVs were in the Premier section. Attendant mentioned that they were being held back due to an expected rush later today.

Exec Elite area had a Challenger, 2 Camaros, 1 pickup truck, nearly a dozen minivans, and a smattering of forgettable sedans.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Dropped off my Volvo XC60 rental last night, and saw the Volvo V60? (wagon) and a new VW Touareg in EE.
Counter agent was very excited to tell me about the new Maserati option coming to MSP -- only $100 extra/day no matter what class booked. Hmmmm.... could be interesting in the snow.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by travelista
Dropped off my Volvo XC60 rental last night, and saw the Volvo V60? (wagon) and a new VW Touareg in EE.
Counter agent was very excited to tell me about the new Maserati option coming to MSP -- only $100 extra/day no matter what class booked. Hmmmm.... could be interesting in the snow.
Well, I'm obviously traveling at the wrong times into MSP.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:21 pm

He is lying

Originally Posted by travelista
That is a big lie. He can do a minimum $11 more a day. Even if the car class is blocked by the managers down to a certain upgrade value, they can choose a different car class, charge you for that one, and give you whatever car you want. You think is a favor, but it's not true. They got you by not booking the car you needed in the first place, because on every single upgrade, agents and managers get a percentage, and they are encouraging you to book something cheaper, to get you on the upgrade at the counter. If you book it right in the first place, they don't make a cent. It works great under National because usually, the business customers are not the ones to make their reservations, but somebody else from their companies. The moment they get at the counter, they will be encouraged by the agents to get something "more comfortable" or a "4WD for the winter". You upgrade and might get in trouble with your company big time. Check with them first and then, at the counter, inform the agent you want to stay with whatever the company booked for you, otherwise you will pay the difference from your own pocket and see how they loose their smiles.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I'm flying in there next week. Why are the fees so high for rentals at these locations?
Combining mileposts #209/#210, trip to MSP next week and the fees ARE outrageous...anyway, most cost-efficient rental class is the minivan. What is the likelihood that with a minivan res, MSP will allow flexibility in what I can select upon arrival?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:05 pm

You should have a fairly good chance at getting a small SUV if you prefer, maybe a new Escape? Otherwise just go ask at the counter. I got bumped from a midsize res. to a brand new Volvo S60 for $25/day. Just tell them you don't need the minivan anymore and are interested in driving something a little nicer.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
I have been renting at MSP frequently and I have to say this is my least favorite location for returning a car. The check in process is hands down the most aggressive damage check of any location I have ever experienced. It makes me feel like they are just itching to find some random damage every single time. The funny part is that my corporate contract includes CDW at no extra charge. I still hate the heavy handed way they carry out damage checks at MSP. Takes too long and is just too heavy handed every single time.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:25 pm

I was a local at MSP for years and rented dozens of times there. I never found the damage check to be "aggressive". They look over each side of the vehicle for large damage, that is all. I never found it unreasonable and I certainly haven't found it worse than any other location.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
I was a local at MSP for years and rented dozens of times there. I never found the damage check to be "aggressive". They look over each side of the vehicle for large damage, that is all. I never found it unreasonable and I certainly haven't found it worse than any other location.
Same here. I've returned 5 cars to MSP in the past two months and it's never taken more then 30-60 seconds from their arrival for the agent to enter all the information and hand me my receipt.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:49 pm

I've got a morning reservation for tomorrow (1/31). Anyone been lately? Any chance I'll be able to snag a 2015 Tahoe/Yukon?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:38 am

Picked up around 9 this morning. Not a ton on the aisle, Emerald had mostlly Altima's, Impala Limited's, couple Fusion SE's and Escape's. I ended up grabbing a '14 Camaro Convertible. Totally pointless but fun none the less. 19k miles from CO. I sort of like that it has no front license plate!

EE is always tough for me to pick out of the aisles but it looked pretty full with large SUV's, there may have been a Cadillac or two. But it was pick-your-Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition day for sure.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:17 pm

Getting here on a Monday in a couple of weeks at 11 AM. Is this past the AM rush? I really hope I don't stroll up to an empty lot and have to get another Chrysler 200...

Tahoe/Yukon would be nice, but the talk about the Volvos has me hoping for one
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Philip Yang
Getting here on a Monday in a couple of weeks at 11 AM. Is this past the AM rush? I really hope I don't stroll up to an empty lot and have to get another Chrysler 200...

Tahoe/Yukon would be nice, but the talk about the Volvos has me hoping for one
I think you'll be after the AM rush. I typically get to the Aisle between 8:45 and 9:45 in the morning on Mondays.

When I arrive, I can almost always get a mid-sized SUV like a Cherokee or Liberty. It's been several months since I've had a Tahoe or Yukon available to me.

Don't count on a Volvo on Monday morning. I've never seen anything that nice that wasn't reserved in the VIP area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.